Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Vinyl wrapping a car
  • SaxonRider

Has anyone on here done it?

What are the benefits? Downsides?

tthew

A lot of the vans my company uses are wrapped. Protects the original paintwork making them more saleable/valuable 2nd hand.

SaxonRider

Do yo know what the lifespan of a wrap job is?

tthew

Not a clue I’m afraid.

breadcrumb

Costs about the same as a respray apparently so not so good just for a colour change.

PePPeR

I’ve just been unwrapping a couple of our company vans which I bought cheaply, they are five years old and the wrap is still in excellent condition!

The vans underneath are immaculate!

If anyone wants a nice cheap Renault Master van with air con and full service history cheap let me know!

spooky_b329

I’ve heard 5 – 7 years but I think it varies depending on the quality.

With care it can be done DIY, but my van is an Iveco so it has loads and loads of complicated panel creases and indents that have put me off. (I was going to go for a solid colour instead of a respray)

CountZero

From what I’ve read, there are different standards of wrap, and it’s worth doing some research to find a quality outfit. If I was buying new, I’d look into having a gloss clear wrap, just to protect from stone chips, and general scuffing. Or possibly a colour that closely matches the original paint. Just protecting from pigeon and seagull shit would be worth it.

PePPeR

The people who did our wraps were totally dynamic.

http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk/

retro83
    Free Member

ask for examples of their work/reference, there was a thread on pistonheads about someone’s car getting badly damaged by shitty workmanship

stavromuller
    Free Member

Seen a Merc SLR wrapped in chrome, looked shit.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Chap i know had his range rover wrapped-looked amazing, not sure where it was done though. Great result from what i saw.

bruneep

Q: How much does vehicle wrapping cost?
    A: The cost depends on the size of vehicle being wrapped and how you approach design, but for an average size van it starts from around £1,800 + VAT.

nickstikits
    Free Member

We do commercial wrapping of vans, completed 4 Merc Sprinters this week, looked stunning but for cars if it’s just a colour change it’s often cheaper to get a respray (although you do have to tell the DVLA where with a wrap you don’t….in theory). Unless you want a special effect (carbon, matt or pearlescents etc) or you’re a footballer with more cash than sense I wouldn’t bother on a car. Having said that I carbon wrapped the bonnet & mirrors on my T5 Kombi this week, looks chavtastic!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Over here in Germany I think it must be a lot cheaper to wrap cars as a lot of people use their cars for advertising space (me included). Someone who works for a friend of mine has wrapped his company Audi A6 in full carbon and dropped the suspension. His boss is none too happy. Another good friend of mine actually has a company that can do it. It’s most common for taxi firms to wrap the cars as taxis have to be a yellow/cream colour which makes them unsaleable afterwards in that colour.

piemonster

Disappointed in this thread, I was expecting this;

I_Ache
    Free Member

Isn’t there a pic somewhere of Horas car wrapped in cling film? Was it Look and The Podge that did it?

Klunk
    Free Member

What are the benefits? Downsides?

matching nicolai

Bregante

Isn’t there a pic somewhere of Horas car wrapped in cling film? Was it Look and The Podge that did it?

Amazingly if you google “Hora’s car”, it takes you to the thread!

bruneep

poor attempt that^

I_Ache
    Free Member

I thought it might but couldn’t be bothered.

monogramman
    Free Member

If it’s a straight colour you are after maybe consider plasti dip.

cheers_drive

I don’t get it at all if its for protection. Advertising makes sense..
    Are people that bothered about damaged paintwork on vans to pay for wrapping?

Bregante

I thought it might but couldn’t be bothered.

*feels used.

🙂

nickhart
    Free Member

not sure of benefits other than watching people on motorbikes (me) nearly falling off when they ride past this:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Vinyl wrapping a car’ is closed to new replies.