Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Vinyl turntable for £100, can it be done?
  • ski
    Free Member

After seeing the vinyl post here earlier in the week……

The motor has packed up on a much loved revolver Rebel turntable as well as other faults, its not worth repairing.

Can you still get a reasonable turntable for under £100?

My budget will not go any further at the moment & the rest of the hifi (Nad 3020i amp & Tannoy speakers) is fairly cheap and simple anyway.

Or will I need to spend more>

sputnik
    Free Member

Get a second hand one from a boot sale

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Why isn’t it worth repairing – it’s going to be a fairly bog standard motor, probably about £12-£20 or thereabouts. It’s almost certainly on a budget turntable like a Revolver, easy to unscrew and replace.

I had one of the original See Corporation Revolver Turntables years ago – it was a nice little thing, before I upgraded to Linn Axis and then a Sondek.

I’m sure Revolver can tell you the spec of the motor, even if they don’t carry any spares themselves – They still do spare drive belts.

info@revolveraudio.co.uk<info@revolveraudio.co.uk

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheFopster
    Free Member

If you can’t be bothered fixing it a replacement off eBay should be easy enough for a hundred quid…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

this would make a good base for an excellent turntable – you could build a plinth for it out of corian/wood:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SP10-MKII-Turntable-/140717054754?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item20c363db22#ht_1649wt_1396

SBrock
    Free Member

Wasn’t the Project Debut a decent budget turntable a few years ago, a quick google search will tell you it’s still very popular?

yunki
    Free Member

was just going to recommend the same as Sbrock above..

pro-ject essential

porlus
    Free Member

Bought a Dual CS505 off ebay last year for around £28 inc delivery. Works a treat and sounds really good. Think the first version (mine) came out circa early 1980. If you can find a CS505-2 might be worth a punt. Think the Mk2 had a wooden plinth, unlike mine which has a plastic plinth. Generally meant to be a tiny bit better too.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I bought a Project Debut for £70 2nd hand recently – in tiptop condition.

The Dual CS505 is a great buy too, as porlus says, used to have one years ago and plenty come up on ebay.

Kieran

I bought a SystemDek 900 with a Rega RB300 tone arm from eBay for less than £100.

Took a lot of patience though!

oxym0r0n

I have a Project Debut, boxed and in the loft in very good condition -it was going to go on the ‘bay in a few weeks, but make me a decent offer and it’s yours!

nerdboi1(at)hotmail.co.uk

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Vinyl turntable for £100, can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.