• This topic has 45 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by DezB.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Vinyl sales exceed CDs for first time in 40 years
  • taxi25

but mostly you’re just buying a pretty “thing”. 

Agree 100%, and as I like owning prettt things vinyl is what I prefer to buy. But to just listen to music thats a mixture of everything except cassette. I still have a nice Yamaha cassette deck but it’s in the attic. Binned the last worn out cassettes I had a couple of years ago.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

My cd player in my car just died. Gutted.

The last two cars I’ve had didn’t have a CD player at all, just media inputs (USB, Bluetooth et al). I only realised like a year into ownership when I took a CD to play on the way to a gig.

I never thought I’d see the day when CDs weren’t just less fashionable but actually considered obsolete.

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

Whilst listening to an awesome podcast about the loudness wars an interesting stat was mentioned: 87% of music sales in the US last year were digital. Just 13% of sales were physical (CDs and vinyl).

The last two cars I’ve had didn’t have a CD player at all, just media inputs (USB, Bluetooth et al). I only realised like a year into ownership when I took a CD to play on the way to a gig.

Same here. Our 2015 used Civic has no CD player and we didn’t even think to look when we bought it. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back and now we’re a post-CD Spotify Family household.

trumpton

I still like buying cd’s from charity shops and second hand or rarely new from amazon.

I bet the premise of this thread is by amount of money spent on the products rather than units sold. As vinyl is more expensive it wins. Still have a cd player in my car 😉

jwray

My nephew wrote an article around this topic recently. Might be of interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/04/a-very-black-friday-how-the-fetish-for-vinyl-is-sending-prices-soaring

I have a large collection of vinyl I’ve carted round the world with me as I’ve moved, and can’t seem to be able to part with. Buy 2-3 year now, mainly for the “pretty thing to own”. I end up using the digital download more.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Some of you might find the following of interest…
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/01/uk-music-purchases-hit-highest-level-since-2006

I’m very much in the limited download capacity, prefer the physical object (for when the hard disc fails) and prefer to support artists I like so (hopefully) they can make a living and release some more for me to enjoy, cd buyer (must’ve bought about 15 last month)…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Very good article by your nephew there, jwray. My mate used to come down to mine especially for RSD every year. Each year I bought less, then when it became about Duran Duran and Elton **** John reissues, we gave up on it. I have found bargains in charity shops fairly recently though.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.