Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Vinyl lovers – upgrade day……
  • Premier Icon Rusty Spanner

New cartridge time, so a trip to Wilkinsons in Nelson.

Had my old Rega Elys II on a 32 year old Planar 3 for longer than I care to admit.
    I liked it, much better than the other Regas, Linns and Audio Technicas it replaced, but amp and speaker upgrades over the years meant it was always going to be the weakest link.

A nice welcome from Stuart, tea and a comfy listening room.
    A comparable amp and speakers (Marantz and Proac) and no hard sell – “Try as many as you like and if you’re not impressed, don’t buy owt”.
    Nice.

Tried a few cartridges up to £300 or so and ended up with a Denon DL-110.
    Not the most expensive but easily the best, to my ears anyway.
    Even Mrs Spanner was impressed.

Currently going through the vinyl collection and hearing stuff I didn’t even know was on the records.
    Well balanced, tracks fantastically, far less surface noise, very natural sound.
    Much more detail but not harsh in the slightest.
    Works with rock, dance and classical.
    I’m a happy sausage.

I’ve recommended Wilkinsons many times before, but they just keep impressing me with their attitude, stock and service.

If you’re at all local, give them a pop.

Premier Icon nick1962
    Free Member

Yeah,Wilkinsons are great.You should just go digital though more detail,no hiss crackle or pops at all.I’ve heard that CDs are a thing 😉

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner

🙂 It’ll never catch on.

If I didn’t already have hundreds of vinyl albums I wouldn’t bother.
    I’m not an evangelist, I mostly buy charity shop CD’s nowadays.

But, it’s amazing how good vinyl can sound. Not better than digital, but different – less stressful somehow.

And this current setup is the best I’ve had.
    32 year old Rega 3, 20 year old Marantz PM66KI and a pair of Tannoy floorstanders.

Stick that up yer Spotify. 🙂

Premier Icon simondbarnes

20 year old Marantz PM66KI

Nice amp that! Got mine hooked up to some Mission floorstanders of the same vintage and a Pro-ject essential ii turntable.

Innit?
    Still the best amp for sensible money I’ve ever heard.

I’m not into HiFi, I like music.
    This lot just gets out of the way and allows me to enjoy it.

Which Missions BTW? I regret getting rid of mine, they made some very natural sounding stuff.

Premier Icon colournoise

Find it odd to say this as a self-confessed gearhead in most things, but as much as I love my vinyl I don’t get the audiophile GAS thing at all. Bog standard consumer level turntable with stock stylus played via aux through some little flat speakers attached to my nasty CD player and I’m a completely happy bunny.

Premier Icon simondbarnes

Which Missions BTW?

773e

I’m not into HiFi, I like music.

Me too

Good for you.
    Whatever floats yer boat.

I’ve heard systems costing more than my first house that couldn’t make a recording of a violin sound natural and entry level stuff that sounded amazing.

There’s a lot of nonsense talked about it.

But some gear IS just better.
    Can you hear more detail?
    Do acoustic instruments and simply recorded voices sound natural?
    Is there a load of distortion? Early classical CD’s were terrible for this.
    Can you hear the individual bass instruments or is it just mush?

Stereo is an odd thing. Some gear can give the impression of a proper 3 dimensional soundspace, with all the instruments placed individually within that environment.
    Some very, very expensive gear can’t do this.
    Some very cheap gear can.

Premier Icon slackalice

Better search out your old cassette decks, I hear cassettes are the next retro/nostalgia thing, this time with much better magnetic stuff.

Premier Icon swedishmetal
    Free Member

I played a cassette in my Denon deck to a friend who popped round a few days ago and he thought it was a CD and he’s a musician.

Tapes were ace and so was vinyl but they both suffered from a good few years of crap quality recordings on crap media on crap machines as CD’s came in.

Tape is probably going to stay dead – no new equipment – as no one makes quality transports nowadays and they aren’t something an enthusiast can make themselves really unlike a record deck which only really needs a stylus/cartridge buying in, the rest is regular engineering not complex electronics.

Premier Icon epicyclo

Slightly OT.

A few years back I put together an AKAI HiFi combo for my wife who was lamenting no longer having the set up we had when we were young, so I exactly replicated it.

It has an AKAI AP-D33 turntable which is now starting to run slow, or more accurately fluctuating speeds. I’m planning getting into its guts and have a poke around. I’ll do the usual, clean up the trimpots etc, and look out for dodgy caps.

If that doesn’t work what would be a decent turntable of that period to buy or does anyone have an AP-D33 to spare?

(Excuse my ignorance, I am not a HiFi enthusiast, but I’m trying to keep it like it used to be, not seeking the latest and greatest)

Premier Icon xico
    Free Member

20 year old Marantz PM66KI

I just learned that the great Ken Ishiwata died last month – RIP . He designed some lovely stuff over the years. I had a Marantz CD63 KI in the early 90s.

Premier Icon martymac

You can buy project turntables for £150 ish,
    Or a systemdek for not much more.
    Linn basik LP12 for around the same price.
    All decent turntables.
    @epicyclo

Premier Icon ajantom

Mid-level Project deck going directly through some decent ESI 8″ studio monitors here.

Very nice sound, and a nice clean signal path too, the less between the needle and the speaker the better IMO.

Premier Icon csb

Just got a new teac tuntable (functional 250 quid thing) to replace the 37 year old panasonic i had from my youth. Cyrus pre/power, Mission 782 speakers. Blimey it rocks. Never before did Luther Vandross sound so good. 🙂

Premier Icon AlexSimon

I’ve had Planer 3 and Elys then Elys II for about 25 years now.
    Interesting that you found such improvements with the change. I’m not sure the Denon would suit me, but it’s about time it was changed, so instead of just blindly buying another Elys, I might investigate something else.

Premier Icon niksnr
    Free Member

Currently in same position with my Rega deck. Already upgraded subplatter, bearing, Delron platter and underslung counterweight. Last piece is cartridge. Was thinking Nagaoka mp-110 but you’ve piqued my interest with the Denon. Did you try out a Nag at Wilkinson’s?

Premier Icon MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat too, though my p3 has been sat doing nothing for 5 years and has a dry bearing and I need to replace the sumiko blue point special which is a bit long in the tooth now.
    Thing is I have just got rid of a pre/power and bought a naim unitiqute2 no phono stage so there’s that to buy too. Streaming (Tidal)is great but some albums sound way better on LP.

What about the new Schitt turntable? Some teething problems but once sorted I’m tempted to just buy that as reports suggest it’s a giant killer.

As to the Elys, I had one and wasn’t a fan, there are better carts out there.

Was thinking Nagaoka mp-110 but you’ve piqued my interest with the Denon. Did you try out a Nag at Wilkinson’s?

No. They offered, but once I’d tried the Denon I was happy. Tried a couple of Goldrings but they didn’t impress. 2400 was sibilant and a bit closed in.

Premier Icon CountZero

Stereo is an odd thing. Some gear can give the impression of a proper 3 dimensional soundspace, with all the instruments placed individually within that environment.
    Some very, very expensive gear can’t do this.
    Some very cheap gear can.

I’ve experienced that, I used to go to the Bristol Hi-Fi Show, and I listened to a system fronted with a Pink Triangle deck, and several thousands worth of kit, and was very underwhelmed by the sound, really quite harsh, but another system costing around a third or less I could have listened to all day.
    Mission speakers could be very ‘bright’ and difficult to listen to with some kit.
    Anyone looking for an album to really test their vinyl based system should get Mark Hollis’ solo eponymous album, that’s just been remastered and released. That’s a challenging listen on CD, it’s very quiet, with lots of empty space, one track has a hundred second silent passage, which can make the listener get a bit twitchy after a while!

Premier Icon DezB

Tape is probably going to stay dead

Except for all the new releases coming out on cassette.

Premier Icon pb2

I openly confess to being a complete and utter hifi gear head. I don’t think there has been a single month in past two years where I have not tried to improve my set up. I stopped counting how much I have spent on because there’s no point. My quest is to get the best for my money, I rarely buy brand new and to better understand how everything works I am now making my own interconnect cables, there not cheap, parts costs between £70-85 per 1m pair but they are equal to cables costing over £200/300. There are so many very low cost ways to improve your set up and even set ups costing >£15k sound awful in the wrong room or set up badly in a decent room. The possibilities are endless and so it seems are the frauds seeking to take your money for less than decent kit. Bottom line is if your system makes you smile, makes you your feet tap, makes the hairs on arm stand up then that’s it, mission accomplished

Premier Icon junglistjut
    Free Member

My Mission 782s had awful treble with the standard Audax tweeter, the OEM crossover wasn’t much cop either.

A decent tweeter and lots of fettling with the crossover has turned them into something special that punch way above their weight.

So, about 10 hours in and it still sounds great.
    A bit smoother and warmer as it’s broken in.
    Tracking very well at 1.8 grams, I’ve tried a smidge more or less, but it doesn’t seem to make much difference.

It’s superb for older vinyl – much less end of side distortion that I used to get with the Rega.

The bass is much more clearly defined and there’s more air around vocals and woodwind.

The Rega had a very pronounced midrange, but this seems to be much more neutral.
    It just sounds like a better product overall.

There are so many very low cost ways to improve your set up

Can’t agree more.
    After moving to a house with suspended wooden floors, I never thought I’d get a decent sound again.
    Some granite chopping boards from Tesco, Sorbothane pads and good few days experimentation sorted that out completely.
    I posted a few years ago about how I tried various combinations of spikes and Sorbothane, what worked and what didn’t and how I evaluated everything – the difference was amazing.

All you have to do is trust your ears.

A pair of nice Monitor Audio (RS2) bookshelf speakers sounded fantastic in the shop, but awful in my listening room. Far too harsh.
    They’re now downstairs and used with a Denon Micro system, where they just suit the room and sound wonderful.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Well this made me go and lift the lid on my LP12 for the first time in ages to see what’s installed at the moment. Ortofon MC10 Super which presumably I figured was best at the time compared to the pile of Linn, Goldring, Nagaoka I have lying around.

With CD I just lob one in and press play.

Oh and I never liked the tweeters on Monitor Audio. Sounded harsh to me.

Premier Icon swedishmetal
    Free Member

Except for all the new releases coming out on cassette.

That’s ok if you’ve got an old deck which is decent enough to play them on. No one is making any new equipment to play them on unlike vinyl so the kit to play tapes on is going to either become extinct or far too expensive for most people to afford.

The bloody things sounded fantastic at Wilkinsons when I bought them.

As soon as I tried them at home upstairs I knew I’d made a mistake – harsh and hard, genuinely unpleasant. Nothing I tried made them sound any better.
    Wilkinsons offered to take them back, but we tried them downstairs and they sounded great.
    Mrs S reckons they look nice on decent stands, so they’re not going anywhere.

I’m using Tannoy DC6T floorstanders upstairs now.
    My first go with dual concentric tweeters. Still not as nice as a fabric dome, very slightly metallic at the top end, the only thing about them I could possibly criticise.
    Despite that I like them an awful lot and have no plans to get rid. Flat response, but my word they go deep. They seem to suit the amp and the room.
    And £500 off list too (Richer Sounds in Bury).

I don’t change stuff that often.

Four amps, one turntable, one CD player, one cassette deck, two tuners and five pairs of speakers in 50 years.

I regret getting rid of the Quad II’s and the LS3/5A’s, if only for financial reasons, but I’m happy with what I have.

Premier Icon nick1962
    Free Member

The bloody things sounded fantastic at Wilkinsons when I bought them.

As soon as I tried them at home upstairs I knew I’d made a mistake – harsh and hard, genuinely unpleasant. Nothing I tried made them sound any better.

Room treatment? Watch some of the many vids on youtube and you can open up a whole new world of audio pain and uncertainty 🙂

🙂

The current system is the best I’ve ever had.
    I’m not messing with it now.

The room has to be the way it is for various reasons.
    Soft stuff in strategic locations and closing the blinds makes a huge difference. Let’s just leave it at that, eh?

Premier Icon bob_summers

Not sure why I’d upgrade anything on mine – I’ve got some newer ‘posh’ vinyl but most of it is crappy recycled 80s stuff (so thin you can hear side 2 when playing side 1!) – NAD 533, Audiolab 8000 and some B&Ws I was forced to get because my OH said the old Ditton 66s looked hideous…

I don’t own any CDs save a few I’ve been given over the years but I’d really like to play my old mixtapes. Found one of these in the bin the other week, doesn’t have a lineout though!:

Premier Icon pb2
      Room treatment? Watch some of the many vids on youtube and you can open up a whole new world of audio pain and uncertainty 🙂

Amen to that, theres a bunch of acoustic software out there that you need to be beyond geeky to use. Hifi can be a simple relatively inexpensive hobby or hugely complex, mind bending waste of time and money.

Premier Icon slowoldman

It can be simply something you use to listen to music.

Premier Icon redmex
    Free Member

This thread has cost me this week, my old Systemdek ll biscuit tin with a Mission arm ,Nagaoka mp11 cartridge with new stylus, stripped cleaned and serviced. Peter Gabriel Sledgehammer bass is really testing the woofers on my Ageis one speakers, Sony amp ta -fe370 loud with no distortion until past 12 on the volume control
    No hiss crackle or pop as the album’s looked after , maybe the old Bowie or Harvest but new copies still in the cellophane . Has to go anybody want it

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.