Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • vintagewatchtrackworld.com – how to tell a gold watch?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m trying to flog a 70s quartz watch that was sold to me as gold, I think. How can I confirm this? (can’t find the receipt)

It’s a Record De Luxe, I have it apart, there are some number inside (no hallmark tho) and it’s all gold-cloured but really light/flimsy feeling.

EDIT no. is 9K375…googling reveals nowt.

2ND EDIT…9K = gold, 375 means?

ninfan
    Free Member

IIRC, you’re supposed to submerge it in a bowl of water to check its displacement!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I heard you could smack someone in the face with it and see how much it hurt 😛

thehustler
    Free Member

if its gold it will have a hall mark

matthewjb
    Free Member

if its gold it will have a hall mark

Maybe.

This is the inside of my Father-in-law’s vintage gold watch.

No obvious hallmark but it does say ’18k’ and then a number.

Untitled by Matthewjb, on Flickr

wysiwyg
    Free Member

375 is 9ct

dannybgoode

0750 is 18ct (i.e 75% – 375 for 9ct = 37.5%). My wedding ring is German and is marked such. It will only have a Hallmark if marked in the UK.

Send it to webuygoldforfarlessthanitsworth.com – they’ll see you right 😉

Cheers

Danny B

nickdavies

It’s 9ct gold, record was a Longines brand in the 70’s, mainly found in the USA. If it was sold in the UK to you new it should be hallmarked somewhere, possibly inside the case back or hidden under the strap on a lug. If your sticking it on eBay etc mention its a Longines brand as it’ll make it a bit less unknown but won’t have huge value.

Careful if you’ve taken it all apart as far as taking the back off, thin gold watches like that become brittle with age due to the high zinc content of the metal to give hardness.

allthepies
    Free Member

Gold melts at 1,064 °C

There’s the hint.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers guys, so it’s def solid 9ct gold?

I got it SH 4 years ago, lost the receipt, at least I knocked them down to £225 from £300!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘vintagewatchtrackworld.com – how to tell a gold watch?’ is closed to new replies.