Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Vintage road bikes – What to build with a 7 speed hub and a steel frame?
  • bob_summers

Pulled a pair of wheels out of a skip a while back, Mavic GP4 tub rims on Record hubs, was delighted until I noticed the 7 speed screw-on cassette. I also have my first proper racing bike frame gathering dust (‘92 Colnago Decor, didn’t buy it new I should add). Seems like the basis of a project but what can I do with it? I know nothing about 7sp, I’ve only ever had freehubs.

A club mate is selling some old Record 10v/ Ambrosio tubs so maybe the easiest option is to buy those and put the others back in the skip?

TiRed

I’d make it fixed wheel with a screw on sprocket.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a freewheel*, not a cassette, the spacing may be 126mm, your frame is likely 130mm. * may also be worn out.

Record hubs are worth ££.

If you want to do a resto build on the frame I wouldn’t base it on these wheels, they aren’t period.

IHN

Make it into a nice vintage ride that you can take on a leisurely summer spin to a pub with a nice beer garden, have a pint or two in the sunshine, maybe a sandwich and bowl of chips, and then a nice leisurely spin home.

That’s what I did with my cracking vintage tip find.

bob_summers

Last time I had the frame built up it had 10v and carbon rims/cranks so not bothered about having it period correct, so maybe it’s a case of searching the right frame for the wheels 😂

Could build it fixed, that’s not a bad idea. Although I actually have the same rims on record track hubs waiting to go on something.

tjagain

single speed freewheel and build it singlespeed. thats what I did with mine. A steel frame can be cold set ie bent to alter the OLD spacing

jameso

‘92 Colnago Decor

Which model, a Master? Could make a nice SS but that’s potentially too nice to not put a good 10s Campagnolo groupset on and enjoy it as a summer bike.

old Record 10v/ Ambrosio tubs

Nice but tubs could be a bit faffy for my liking on a ‘summer days’ road bike – might be worth it for the hubs alone, rebuilt on silver Open Pro or H Plus Son TB14s. I wouldn’t worry about period-correct either, just build it with a nod to the aesthetics of the time.
    I built up a S/H Master frameset last year with recent Campagnolo in all silver, Open Pros, 23mm Conti 4000s with the classic sidewalls etc and an old San Marco saddle. It’s a beautiful bike, engaging to ride and no noodle either. A definite keeper.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You could build up an old Dawes Galaxy to Mirage spec (same frame, different components). eBay was full of bargains, I picked up a ratty Galaxy last year for 20 quid, turned out it was a Mirage with a crap blowover paint job. It’s now dismantled to get sorted as it’s actually in great nick (structurally speaking), wherever it was stored must have been dry and well ventilated.

So yeah, find a frame that fits and build around that. Even if you decide not to don’t skip the wheels as they will be worth something to somebody!

fossy

You may want to try a modern resto – i.e. lower end Campag 10 speed polished alloy groupsets work really well. Period stuff is mega money now.

I’ve got a handbuilt Columbux SLX from a local custom builder and full Dura Ace 7400 from 1990. The second hand prices of components are eye watering now (I built this back in 1990).

The frame will be 130mm OLD as many went to that from late 80’s and 8 speed.

If you want to go crazy, get the frame re-enameled if it needs it, but looking over £200 or higher is it’s detailed.

bob_summers

Some good ideas here. The frame is one of the fairground waltzer paintjobs so I won’t be painting it. It is the C96 Decor (probably nearer ’95 or ’96, not ’92 as I said in OP) model which was quite basic, didn’t have the Master fluted tubeset. Def. 130 OLD spacing as my 10 and 11 speed wheels fit in.

Not worried about tubs, I run them on everything, but it appears these wheels are fit for nothing except an SS conversion or an 80s frame.

This is the old gal last time she was built up.

jameso

That is lovely. What more could you want from it.. A classic round bar and more trad brake lever positioning maybe, being picky.

About my size by the look of it. Actually, you should sell it ; )

bob_summers

jameso

That is lovely. What more could you want from it.. A classic round bar and more trad brake lever positioning maybe, being picky.

Cheers @jameso I can’t sell it as it was my first decent bike! Was happy enough to run it with 11 speed Chorus (still got all the bits) but really wanted the wheels out of the skip to work somehow, oh well. As mentioned, I’ll tap up my club mate for his Ambrosio Crono/ Record wheels.

You’re right though, the ergo bars have always bugged me and I feel it should have had the straight bladed stiletto fork.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Vintage road bikes – What to build with a 7 speed hub and a steel frame?’ is closed to new replies.