Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vintage racer tyre size compatibility.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Morning chaps,

I have an old Carlton AM racer that I’m slowly doing up. I binned the old tyres ages ago and looking for replacements. I think the old ones were 27″x1 1/4″, but I quite fancy putting some skinny 1″ slicks on. Will they be ok or too thin for the rim?

Cheers

Oh, and what tubes for 1″ tyres? Just standard 1 1/4″ ok?

dovebiker

Don’t fit a tyre narrower than the rim, otherwise you’ll catch a stone or kerb when cornering, besides there’s no benefit from skinny tyres except a harsher ride and more likely to puncture 😁

timba
    Free Member

Can you get 27″ x 1″ tyres?
    I only remember 27″ x 1 1/4″ (Michelin 50 FTW) or tubulars for narrower, more sporty use until 700c appeared

dchwhite
    Free Member

If you stick with the bigger size, crc and wiggle have these for a good price

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gator-hardshell-road-tyre-wired

midlifecrashes

I have used modern 700c tubes on my old school 27×1 1/4 wheels. There are still plenty of tyre choices around. 1” is 25mm which isn’t skinny by old racer standards.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-27-630/

timba
    Free Member

Can you get 27″ x 1″ tyres?

Appears so 🙂
    If the rims aren’t hooked then you’ll be limited to a lower tyre pressure, which means that a bigger volume will be better in those circs

drnosh
    Free Member

I’m using PanRacer Pasela 27 x 1 1/4″ Tan Wall, wire bead, on my 1952 Claud Butler.

Nice tyre, long lasting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.