Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Vintage MTB frame – paint strip – Felixstowe
  • fakiee
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m hoping to get a frame and forks paint stripped. It’s a Raleigh dynatech Ti-1000 which has titanium tubes main tubes.

Any of you wise people know anywhere in Suffolk that can do this, preferably on the cheap side of things. Dipping, bead blast?

I’m trying to avoid the DIY Nitromors route!

Thanks for the help!

Wally

I would keep it as original as possible, even if a Rat Bike look. You will just ruin it. Been there and done exactly the same with a vintage Specialized steel frame I should have left well alone. Idle hands and all that.

trumpton
    Free Member

you will better advice and info on the retrobike site. They all restore bikes on there.

fakiee
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I’ll check out retro bikes. The frame has already had the main tubes painted black and looks crap, hence the strip back

johnnystorm

Aerocoat in St Olaves are good but the opposite end of Suffolk to you!

fakiee
    Free Member

Thanks Johnny,

Would be perfect if it was closer!

trumpton
    Free Member

You have to be careful blasting as the frame may get damaged a place that does this may not know about bike frames.

duncancallum

Is it lugged and bonded

fakiee
    Free Member

It’s a dynatech titanium frame, which is lugged and bonded, not welded.

Good point as it may easily damage during sand blasting.

I’ve also heard stories of these frames main tubes coming loose from lugs, debonding, etc.

Should probably avoid it then?

mick_r

Is there a risk paint stripper could attack the bonding? I’d have thought a gentle media blast would be safer (walnut shells, soda etc).

trumpton
    Free Member

you could just post the frame to somewhere like Argos cycles who will strip it safely and repaint it too. They may also be able to add disk mounts on it at the same time.Could be quite spendy though.

epicyclo

mick_r

Is there a risk paint stripper could attack the bonding? I’d have thought a gentle media blast would be safer (walnut shells, soda etc).

That was my first thought too.

Does anyone know the specifics of the bonding agent?

mick_r

Thinking about it, you might also have to be wary of heat softening the bonding (so powder coat could be a no no). At work I’ve had engine block temperatures (maybe less than powder coat temp) melt epoxy adhesive. Probably need to look what gets used to paint carbon frames.

Raleigh had lots of paint problems on these bitd so maybe they were having to use something special / low temperature / 2 pack etc (dissimilar metals probably didn’t help).

ctk
    Free Member

As above powder coat is a no-no.

Poopscoop

I remember reading about these when they came out.

Who would have thought I’d now be reading about them being restored all these years later?

Where do the years go? 😟

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Vintage MTB frame – paint strip – Felixstowe’ is closed to new replies.