Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Vintage BMX content- anyone ID this?
  • ianfitz
    Free Member

Belongs to someone at work who would love to know more about it. Bought secondhand from a shop that said they removed the decals but couldn’t remember what they said.

Has an ‘S’ on the head tube which is in a bit of a crappy fat looking font and doesn’t look origional to my (totally untrained) eye

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZBkbue]Vintage bmx[/url] by Ian Fitz, on Flickr

Rickos
    Free Member

GT Performer – late 80’s, early 90’s.

EDIT – ignore me, wrong.

newrobdob
    Free Member

The head tube logo might be key to be honest, have you got a pic?

Definitely earlier “mid school” as it has calipers not AD990 mounts. A lot of companies have made similar looking frames with the seat stays forming a platform on the back of the top tube. GT performer and Standard Shorty/Lengthy were the best of them but there were a few copies. Doesn’t look early enough for 80’s IMHO

newrobdob
    Free Member

Just noticed forks have AD mounts on them but can’t see them on the frame. Probably not original forks.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Haro sport from mid 80’s?

The GT performers always had the seat tube pierce the cross bar with a little cross bar section behind, blanked with a GT logo on the blanking plate. Similar to the modern Eddy Fiola frames

federalski
    Free Member

Sure my pal had one of those in the 90’s…
    Racking my brain now, it’s it a Diamondback Joker?

kayla1
    Free Member

Have a look under the BB shell, the serial number might point you in the right direction.

GT freestyle BMXs had S-bend downtubes in the late 80s and early-mid 90s as well, it’s definitely not a GT.

Mongoose Menace or something? The forks are wrong though. Nothing decent without U brake lugs would’ve come with a fork with V-brake/canti lugs.

Side-on and a pic of the rear dropouts and platform area would help 🙂

ianfitz
    Free Member

heres the head tube sticker

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YAb5v4]BMX head tube[/url] by Ian Fitz, on Flickr

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Skyway Streetbeat?

Although, the brace behind the seat tube looks different.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Good place to start

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/S/

finbar
    Free Member

There were a lot of supemarket/halfords-style bmxes with that basic frame shape. As per newrobdob’s post, all inspired by the Standard Bykes Shorty/Lengthy.

Given the cheap and nasty parts on your colleague’s (one-piece cranks, ugly stem) and the ropey looking chainstays, it’s probably one of those with a random sticker on the headtube rather than a known brand I’m afraid.

Happy to be corrected

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I would say, looking at the chainwheel, it’s most likely a Mongoose Villain, 94/95 ish. I had a black one, but they were available in chrome as well. It’s not a Hooligan, as I think they had AD’s on the back.
    Having said that, the brace behind the seattube could be helpful.

tdog
    Free Member

What Finbar mentions as I’ve seen plenty of nasty copies in the warehouse of donated ones.
    Couldn’t say what model your’s mind.

Steelsreal

its not a street beat or a villain.

The chain stays are weird …

newrobdob
    Free Member

Thing is, some of the major manufacturers had some proper ropey looking bikes as far as tubing and construction quality goes, so poor quality may not mean a crap make!

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s very close to being a Skyway Streetstyler they have the same seat tube plate………but they have a grooved toptube (Streetbeats had the tube rather than a plate setup)
    As per someone else above I think it’s a cheapo low end early mid school something or other

shakers97
    Free Member

I know it’s been said but my first thought was that’s a streetbeat. Plenty of chrome versions of it as well. Any serial number?

ianfitz
    Free Member

I did a bit of googling with serial number but didn’t find anything.

It’s se9904000

shakers97
    Free Member

It doesn’t look like it’s a Skyway then judging by the serial number format (look on the bmx museum website). I wonder if it’s an SE Racing frame. They were around back in the day, notably with the PK Ripper. No idea what model, their frames did have straight down tubes but the freestylers had some over engineered quadrangle affair. If I was going to start a bike company I’d use the initials in the serial number, so maybe it’s SE.

bobbyspangles

apollo bmx id say judging by welds, tubes, brake mounts, crankset. nice frame shapes and pay homage to classic street beats. look well loved

sillyoldman

Nothing quality. Looks as someone said like a Mongoose Villain (I had a 91 Hooligan – it’s big brother), but also reminiscent of Dianmond Back’s attempts from that era or a Ruption, etc etc. Nothing like a Streetbeat though!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Vintage BMX content- anyone ID this?’ is closed to new replies.