Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Villages within easy commute of Bristol
  • wrecker
    Free Member

The “arguing with sign posts” bit was funny. I’ve seen people do that, although it’s generally in Broadmead.

gribble
    Free Member

What are Ham Green and Pill like? Again seem to have easy access to M5/town centre.

I saw someone else posting yet again re: bike theft in Bristol. As much as possible I just want to avoid moving somewhere that is bike theft central.

Many thanks to the contributors who have posted above. I have a tour of the area planned in the next 3 weeks, so will be drawing up a short list based partly upon the above.

nickjb
    Free Member

Ham and Pill are a bit mixed. There’s some pretty grotty bits and some really nice bits. Its a good compromise location for getting into town and away from Bristol. Nice cycle path into town and Leigh Woods.

Moses

^^ as above. Also good if you’re interested in sailing.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks Moses and Nick. Thought that might be the case.

Sailing – well I have been known to sport red canvas trousers :D. No, in all seriousness it would be nice to be near water, even though I can’t imagine the Avon is super clean.

wrecker
    Free Member

I can’t imagine the Avon is super clean.

That would be correct. The sewerage works is in a bit of a dip and often gets fined for releasing into the avon.

retrogirl
    Free Member

my vote is for Portishead. Close to the motorway and is a nice place with more things being added all the time. There is talk of reopening the railway line and when I was last there they were clearing the line so it would be worth looking into

ianpv
    Free Member

I live in BS3 with my family (wife, two kids). The local primary schools are fine (ofsted good or outstanding), and the local secondaries will hopefully improve as the demographic of the area continues to change – I’ll reassess that situation in about 7 years when my oldest is 10. We thought about moving out to somewhere in the country (I was keen on it), but in the end, the thought of both of us having to commute by/rely on cars was the killer. So we moved to another house in BS3. I really like it here – great access to harbourside, short walk to work, short ride to trails, etc. always something to do with the kids rain or shine, easy access to countryside.

I used to live up in Horfield which was nice too, but I prefer being south of the river to be honest. Price differential is nowhere near what it used to be between those two areas, although you get a bit more for your money in Southville still.

I grew up in a village but am happy to bring my kids up in a town I think. We’ll have to see.

Philby

Also consider Portbury, Failand, & Clapton in Gordano

didmatt
    Free Member

Another vote for Nailsea, used to live in Horfield before, not again. Although i think that was more the flat then the area’s fault.

gribble
    Free Member

Well, had a good drive round the area last weekend. Went to Portishead, Clevedon, Abbots Leigh (not in that order) and back round (plus some other villages I can’t really remember).

Clevedon looked really nice, but I wonder if it was because we had a coffee on the front, looking over the Bristol Channel…I was probably not being objective, but it looked really nice. Other villages/areas had good ranges of shops.

Also had a look around Henleaze, W-O-T, Redland, Stoke Bishop, Sneyd Park and Clifton. Probably all outside my price range, but there are some parts of the city that made me think it would be nice to be city based and avoid a commute of an consequence (for the wife, I would still have to travel).

Still pondering the options but am re-reading posts, as they have a bit more meaning now. Thanks all for the opinions and tips.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

I live in Clevedon, have done all my life!

Its great really! access to M5 on the doorstep and can be in centre of Bristol in 25 Minutes, and as you said great access to the seaside (ok the sea isn’t great) and mile upon mile of quiet country lanes!

Never had any problems with bike theft or known anybody who has.

gribble
    Free Member

Thehills – how long does it take to get into Bristol and is commuting easy from Clevedon into the town centre?

I liked the atmosphere a lot – but both travel and school are unfortunately priorities that need to be added into the mix.

tinribz
    Free Member

Have a sister in Berkeley, commutes to the city center by bus. Nice village but no secondary school. Lots of back-roads and a long canal path nearby.

Buy a dingy and you can nip over to the Forest of Dean at the drop of a hat.

ransos
    Free Member

What are Ham Green and Pill like? Again seem to have easy access to M5/town centre.

My brother in law used to live in Ham Green. He had his mtb stolen from his garage, and was subsequently ram-raided when he was asleep upstairs, presumably by thieves after the insurance replacement.

I live in BS3 with my family (wife, two kids). The local primary schools are fine (ofsted good or outstanding), and the local secondaries will hopefully improve as the demographic of the area continues to change – I’ll reassess that situation in about 7 years when my oldest is 10. We thought about moving out to somewhere in the country (I was keen on it), but in the end, the thought of both of us having to commute by/rely on cars was the killer. So we moved to another house in BS3. I really like it here – great access to harbourside, short walk to work, short ride to trails, etc. always something to do with the kids rain or shine, easy access to countryside.

Same as us! We decided to convert the loft and stay in BS3 now that mini Ransos mk2 is on the way. As you say, fingers crossed that secondary schools improve in the next few years.

outspoken
    Free Member

Well Not sure if it has been mentioned as i Just skimmed the topic.

But i Live in Corsham. Nearest trainstation is Chippenham with a very short journey to Bristol Temple Meads.

Access to M4. My misses works in Bath, I cover all SN and RG postcodes so its ideal.

Some quality nurseries and schools around here….!

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

Thehills – how long does it take to get into Bristol and is commuting easy from Clevedon into the town centre?

door to door in the peak i can do it in about 45 minutes to the city centre, after the peaks its is about 25-30 mins.

There is a multitude of options, to get out of Clevedon to, unlike Portishead where there is really only one road in and out, and the traffic can be really bad.

Also I do occasionaly work in London, and there is 4 direct trains in the morning and evening from Yatton, not sure if that applies but this train also stops at bristol temple meads, and takes about 20 minutes (another option)

with regards to schools there is only one comprehensive school and it is a lot better than it used to be, it is one of the best in North Somerset now and has good results, plenty of good primary & secondary schools as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Villages within easy commute of Bristol’ is closed to new replies.