Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 237 total)
  • Viewranger replacement? Outdoor Active?
  • luket

Aye. Many years ago I too paid a chunk of money for OS mapping that came on CDs. It wasn’t Anquet but something similar. Tracklogs? Given my ancient Garmin brick only had the first gen of on screen black line mapping and it was years before smart phones, I can’t remember how it was useful at all!

Davesport

I’m a subscription user of VR. No notification from them so far about anything changing. One of the benefits of the subscription service was that you could have up to 4 users all on different devices on one account. I’ll be gutted when this goes as all the good rides I’ve done & all of the others I’ve planned are stored on this platform :o(

Watching with interest to see what the best alternative is.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

I’ve used Outdoors GPS on IOS for a few years. Sounds like with VR you used to be able to buy OS maps and have them downloaded on your phone but they went subscription model as most are now at £20 pa. which for the amount I use I is fairly reasonable and weirdly cheaper than OS. The apps good if you want to see where you are on a map, the route planner is clunky point dot to dot but is functional, the recording function is shocking though. I was about to jump ship to OA but after reading this thread a bit worried about the “missing downloaded map bug”. It provides international maps which is interesting if we’re ever allowed abroad again. I’ll try the free trail and see how it works out

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Tried using ViewRanger last night and couldn’t zoom in to my OS maps 🙁

Outdoor Active is £30 a year or £26 for OS Maps – looks like the only option?

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lots off folk used to recommend backcountry navigator, it was a one off payment IIRC, not heard it mentioned for a while.

I use, and like, OS app, have it on wife’s phone and my daughters too, all on my log in, PC planning side is pretty good too. I really like the wee satellite fly through.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Lots off folk used to recommend backcountry navigator, it was a one off payment IIRC, not heard it mentioned for a while.

I’ve been with Backcountry Navigator for probably 10 years and was one of the early advocates on this forum for it. Still use it regularly and still happy with it. For some reason it didn’t seem particularly popular on here, with many people seeming to opt for ViewRanger when the two were recommended (I’ve used VR and the UI was probably a bit nicer than BcN). The app uses Bing OS maps which potentially could cause issues as I believe there is some sort of daily usage cap (same as likes of wheresthepath3 and bikehike). So, you just need to make sure you have the OS map areas saved onto your phone memory before you go into the wilds in that area (which you’d do anyway) and it’s not much of an issue these days to have many areas of the UK OS down to 1:25k saved on your phone as most phones now have 64gb memory as min. They used to have a 30day free trial app version. Also not sure exactly what’s available these days as the owner (Nathan?) used to be very active (regular newsletters, regular app updates/improvements) then was trying to push a new version (XE?), but it’s all gone very quiet over the last few years. I think the older version is still an Android only app.

mugsys_m8

Nobody using fat map?
    I am a viewranger user, mainly here in France for IGN maps and nothing seems to have changed in its functionality. I am also using Fatmap mainly for ski touring but starting to use it when i would use viewranger: when I can’t be bothered to dig out my dedicated GPS and head out for a run, and also in parallel with following a route on a dedicated gps (bikepacking etc) for getting a better feel of around me etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cheeky sods – going via Viewranger app it quotes £30 for a new subscription in Outdoor Active

Downloading the app separately and it comes out at £27!

Ewan
    Free Member

Anyone know if the OS App lets you swap between OS and OSM? That was generally how i used view ranger before it got screwed.

If not, anyone know an app that lets you easily swap?

mugsys_m8

fatmap.

roger_mellie

Ha, outdoor active just failed at the first hurdle for me. Downloaded the app; it couldn’t “determine my location” to set my home region. I’m sat on my sofa.

snaps
    Free Member

Mapmyride has just gone tits up, failing to record distance.

grum
    Free Member

My viewranger still seems to be working same as ever

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When does your subscription run out ? Mine worked fine until the day of my renewal

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have lots of tile on VR…seem to be able to access more on OA but only online. Not much use then.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I use this and it hasn’t let me down

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’ve still got OA on the phone as I’ve got free OS maps for a few more months but for my day to day (well weekends really) OS mapping I forked out the £40 for a years memory map subscription. What did it for me was the ability to download the whole of Scotland in 25k and 50k in 2 downloads. Never have to worry about being online.

OA works well for me online, but as soon as I download say more than a few maps, it lags and I get a black screen. It sometimes eventually displays the map, but that’s no good when out in the hills.

alric
    Free Member

I got outdooractive last month, with one months free pro trial I really liked the way it shows all the footpaths and byways etc
    It worked ok until 2 days ago, it had logged me out so i couldnt use it.
    I changed password just now and logged in, all my saved tracks etc have gone.
    I still have a week to cancel my PRO subscription, so I shall probably do just that

northernsoul

Same here, but I always bought ‘by tile’ rather than with a subscription. Looking to the future, the OSMaps app (with a subscription) I find to be pretty good for most things these days, apart from one thing: when following a route offline where you have the route on-screen but haven’t “started” it, i.e. where you occasionally check to see whether you’re still on track, a good portion of the screen is occupied with a summary of the route that you don’t need (as opposed to ViewRanger, where full screen is really full screen).

asbrooks

Oh crap, Just got hold of VR a couple of months ago. Have been trying it to see how good it is as a navigation tool on my phone. It works really well.
    I hope it won’t be discontinued in the next week or so as I’d planned to use it this coming weekend as I have a opportunity for a days riding in the lakes, I’ve ridden the route a number of times following other so don’t know the route. VR seemed perfect..

thenorthwind

I don’t think it’s going to suddenly disappear. Presumably the app will stop getting updates, but it won’t stop working if you have it on your phone. Perhaps you won’t be able to download OS map data you don’t already have, so probably best to do that sooner rather than later, but once it’s on your device, I don’t think it’s going to evaporate.

frogstomp

I don’t think it’s going to suddenly disappear. Presumably the app will stop getting updates, but it won’t stop working if you have it on your phone. Perhaps you won’t be able to download OS map data you don’t already have, so probably best to do that sooner rather than later, but once it’s on your device, I don’t think it’s going to evaporate.

I would imagine you will also lose the ability to sync routes etc. and you won’t be able to activate the maps on a new device.

The remaining lifespan may be governed by the length of the support contracts Mountain Rescue, RNLI etc. have with them.

A recent article

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s going to suddenly disappear.

A few mates that use VR say it went west at renewal time.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve just bought 136 credits on VR for £1.99. All my purchased ones are still there too.

Davesport

So my Viewranger deleted all of my offline maps about a month ago. I was an annual subscriber. I’ve not come up with a suitable or equal alternative. OutdoorActive, nowhere close, OS which I’ve subscribed to lacking the functionality I’m after. Offline map downloads for OS come in tiny chunks & the download speed is painful. Now experimenting with BCN. Looks like BCN will do what I need but I’ll have to relearn how it works. I’m hoping something similar to Viewranger comes along soon.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So how come I can still buy VR credits? Only thing is, I used to be able to top up whenever, but this time I’ve had to run out & then top up. Couldn’t see any other amount to top up with apart from £1.99 either.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’m hoping something similar to Viewranger comes along soon.

Don’t think we will see anything like Viewranger again. Everything seems to be going to subscription model.

I didn’t get on with Outdoor Active. Crashed twice on walks testing on routes I knew and failed to sort itself out even on restart so stopped using it.

Its still installed as I transferred a lot over form Viewranger and currently at least Outdoor Active allows you to download GPXs that you didn’t personally creatt which Viewranger have blocked now it seems.

I may give it another try sometime but even though the whole of Europe/The World? is included in the subscription price and that that price is the same as just the UK in the OS Maps app I begrudge paying for what I don’t want, hence why I loved ViewRanger and the ability to grab the tiles for what you needed.

So how come I can still buy VR credits? Only thing is, I used to be able to top up whenever, but this time I’ve had to run out & then top up. Couldn’t see any other amount to top up with apart from £1.99 either.

I noticed that too. Not as easy to get to as it used to be and like you say only gives 133 credits or 6 tiles at 1:25k but an option still at least.

Personally I am now just using TalkyToaster OSM maps in Bandcamp (Mac) and then transferring to my Gamin Fenix 6. hasn’t let me down yet but I’ve only used it in pretty well used/defined areas.

nickjb
    Free Member

…and currently at least Outdoor Active allows you to download GPXs that you didn’t personally creatt which Viewranger have blocked now it seems.

Still working on viewranger for me. Just downloaded a gpx and it opened fine

RDL-82
    Free Member

Still working on viewranger for me. Just downloaded a gpx and it opened fine

Weird. Didn’t work for me the other week. Wonder if they fixed something in a recent update. Will try next time I want something.

Davesport

Further to the above. I stopped to talk to three people on MTB’s who were headed over from Morvich to Glen Affric. The subject of navigation came up & they were still using Viewranger. They would have to be using offline maps as defo no phone or 4G up there. So this has got me wondering why my offline maps got deleted & I kept getting emails asking me to transfer my membership to Outdoor Active? I’d go back to VR in a heartbeat. Anyone still using VR & are your offline maps still there?

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, I’m still using viewranger with offline maps. Still working at the moment. I can’t see how your maps can get deleted if you have bought them, unless you were on a subscription that ended.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Anyone still using VR & are your offline maps still there?

Are you talking purchased OS map tiles or OpenstreetMap map/free map tiles areas?

I never used the latter but all my OS tiles in both 25k or 50k are still available.

If you are talking OS map tiles have you tried re-downloading them?

Options (3 dots on iOS) > Maps > Select either the 1:25000 or 1:50000 map and then ‘Download Tiles from Account’

I currently only have my 1:25 maps on the device but have just downloaded the 1:50 and they loaded fine.

Davesport

As above, I’m still using viewranger with offline maps. Still working at the moment. I can’t see how your maps can get deleted if you have bought them, unless you were on a subscription that ended.

Ok so on the advice of VR i switched to OA after receiving the following.

Your ViewRanger: Trail Maps for Hiking, Biking, Skiing subscription from Google Commerce Limited on Google Play will be canceled on Apr 27, 2021. No refunds will be issued (Refund Policy).

After this I assumed VR was defunct & non operational but that’s obviously not the case. They’ve got a UK phone number. I’ll call them next week.

bikesandboots

My 1:50k OS offline maps, purchased as a whole-GB one-off years ago, are still working.

Davesport

I emailed VR & within an hour had this.

Hi David,

ViewRanger is still available to use for free, with Open Cycle or Landscape map, but it is not possible to buy or renew OS map subscriptions now. Sorry.

I’ll give them a call. Might be that if you have purchased map tiles as opposed to having a subscription everything is still working.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been using OS Maps now for a couple of months after my VR subscription ended.

It’s ok, but takes a while to find your location which is frustrating. Route planning doesn’t have a snap to function, and I really miss knowing my current altitude which I know is quite irrelevant, but I did like that.

Davesport

I’ve been using OS Maps now for a couple of months after my VR subscription ended.

It’s ok, but takes a while to find your location which is frustrating. Route planning doesn’t have a snap to function, and I really miss knowing my current altitude which I know is quite irrelevant, but I did like that.

That was the first thing I did. My gripe with OS was the lack of functionality compared to VR & the map downloads were in tiny chunks. In defiance of download speeds it was a real chore getting the OS maps onto my phone. I had the whole of Scotland on VR which suited me as I plan a lot of rides offline. I’m using BCN now which is probably the closest I’m going to find.

I’m never going to get over this :o)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t know what functionality VR had over OS (And tbh it’s irrelevant now as it’s tits up) but you can download vast areas for offline use on OS, and very quickly too.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Both mine are still working but I purchased both the dark and white peak park maps.

Davesport

Both mine are still working but I purchased both the dark and white peak park maps.

And I think therein lies the difference. Annual subscribers have been duffed out & anyone who purchased their maps still has theirs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.