Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Viewranger changes
  • heebyjeeby

Logged onto viewranger to do a bit of OS map perusing and summertime ride dreaming as I am sometimes wont to do to discover that I no longer have access to os maps…I think this is because they are migrating to Outdoor Active.

so…whaddya reckon… go with outdoor active or make the move to the likes of OS maps or some such other?

anyone have any experience of outdoor active some of the app reviews in the store were not so good…..

frogstomp

Are you on a (expired) subscription? Still works ok for me with purchased maps, for the time being at least..

If you just want to browse the OS maps and maybe plot a course check out the free Where’s The Path (or the York Ramblers version).

heebyjeeby

Yes it says expired but I have not done anything to expire it…just assumed it was due to the changeover, and could not see any way or renewing

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I tried outdoor active, but kept on encountering issues with the app. Would trust it out on the hills to be honest.

Tried OS map apps and again, found issues with it. But it seems to be the best of a bad bunch so subscribed.

Viewranger worked so well, disappointed that it’s going. My subscription was due to renew on the 27th and I got an email to say it was being cancelled.

Cheekily, I downloaded the whole of the country 1:25k then stopped viewranger from having any Internet access. So I can still access my mapping offline.

piemonster

Have they started winding Viewranger down perhaps and you need to migrate across?

FWIW Viewranger still works fine for me and I’ve encountered no issues with Outdoor Active that suggest its unreliable…. yet

Viewranger on IOS and OA on Android

heebyjeeby

That’s the impression I get… always been happy with it so disappointed if that’s the case.

ah well… progress, huh

Poopscoop

Yeah, crap isn’t it? VR is excellent at what it does.

grum
    Free Member

My viewranger still works with purchased os maps – for now at least

How would you download the entire country btw? I can only see how to download smaller sections.

Poopscoop

Yeah, mines still ok with the national trail maps I bought and a few tiles here and there.

From the other VR thread im not sure how long this will be the case though?

I think I might block it’s ‘net access too and block and updates that break it. Hopefully.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

How would you download the entire country btw? I can only see how to download smaller sections.

I just downloaded them one square at a time, in the largest blocks available at the chosen map size. I actually done all of UK 1:50k then Scotland at 1:25k.
    It took a couple of days to get it all and its filled up a chunk of my memory card but it’s easy enough. It works because VR shows in green an area that’s already been downloaded unlike OS map app.

I then used an app called net guard to block VR and turned off its updates.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Viewranger changes’ is closed to new replies.