Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Viewing GPX files on PC
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

I’m riding the C-2-C next week and have downloaded the GPX file from an official website (currently can’t remember which one as I did this weeks ago), but would like to “view” the downloaded route currently on my Garmin, on a PC, so I can verify the route, etc. Being a numpty, can someone tell me the best/easiest way of doing this? Thanks.

jekkyl

everyone has their own fave site. I use https://www.justgoride.co.uk make an account and upload the gpx, can also switch to OS map.

antares
    Free Member

As above but I use Ride with GPS

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bikehike is the most simple but heavily used so OS often goes over it’s daily usage, otherwise justgoride but you need an account.

whitestone
    Free Member

Bikehike, ridewithgps, mapmyride plus probably loads more

badgerbater
    Free Member

Many thanks all. I’ll do just that!

PJay
    Free Member

Google Earth Pro is now a free download (it used to require a hefty subscription) and will pull gpx files straight off of a GPS unit (you can even do fly throughs with them); it’s a fab program just to play around with.

As you have a Garmin, Garmin’s own Basecamp is a handy tool as well.

Davesport

You can convert GPX with GPS VisualiserThis then downloads a link. The link opens in Google Earth. You can then use the “Play Tour” facility in Google Earth to fly the complete route from start to finish at your chosen altitude and speed. 😀

badgerbater
    Free Member

Haven’t tried Google – sounds amazing! Just one other thing. The current GPX route is a “continuous” route. If I’m doing it over three days, will this cause problems in terms of stopping and starting the route? Will it try to “start” me from the beginning of the route each day? Or do I just leave it running in the background and switch off/recharge each evening?

smashit
    Free Member

Your GPS should be smart enough to carry on from the point you are at, so you can just leave the route loaded and continue following it each day.

jonba
    Free Member

What unit are you using. I’ve had friends Garmins crash on long rides because they couldn’t handle the file size of the recorded data. Equally they are slow if you have a massive route file and can crash. You risk losing data. I was ok as I had put the ride as three files and saved every 150 miles (12hours).

You should be able to load up the same course each day and it will pick up when you have rejoined. Put each day as a different activity. If you want it as one then you can stitch later.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

bikehike or plotaroute

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Viewing GPX files on PC’ is closed to new replies.