• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Vienna! Recommendations for a long weekend.
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Going to Vienna in a few weeks time for wedding anniversary.

Who’s been? What do you recommend? Good places to eat, stuff to see? What not to miss?

Cheers.

kilo

Mrs has been, the prancing horse thing was good apparently – Spanish Riding School.

Mrs used the viennese equivalen of a boris bike and said that was quite a laugh.

dknwhy

This thread means nothing to me.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve been half a dozen times, regular work trip. There are several good brewpubs, our fave is probably salmbraü beside the belvedere. If you want a good schnitzel (and other Austrian food) without the queues and rudeness at figlmuller then Das Heinz is worth looking for.

Most of my trips were when I was living in Japan and big chunks of meat and cheap beer was quite a perk. Going from the UK isn’t quite such a thrill but it’s still an interesting place.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Been once, wouldn’t go back. Only place in the world I actually loathed. Beautiful city populated by beautiful (looking) people with faces tripping them and generally rude which completely ruined teh entire experience.

Went to Schönbrunn Palace which was good, especially interesting if you’ve never learned any of the history from the perspective of the “other side” of the first world war (and before obviously).

There was a Geiger exhibition on at the KunstHausWein that was a good visit.

avdave2

Livingstone’s for food, one of my favourite places to eat and has a really cool bar as well. The wheel is worth doing just so you can pretend to be Harry Lime. It’s a like a smaller version of the London Eye but rather than is a high tech capsule your in a rickety garden shed that could disintegrate at any moment.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Go elsewhere. It’s the only place I have left early on holiday, it was dirty, expensive, the people were rude and it was just generally hard to like. We caught the train to Bratislava which was amazing.

It’s a massive shame because the rest of Austria is lovely.

andytherocketeer

caught the train to Bratislava

did the same on my weekend trip to Vienna

squirrelking
    Free Member

Again, we came from Bratislava which, although a bit run down, was lovely. Seemingly from speaking to someone from Graz its a Viennese thing in as much as Parisians can be dicks.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Crossed off list for next years city break. Surprised as we’ve really enjoyed Salzburg, Innsbruck & all the pointy bits.

DrJ

Good chance to see Klimt and Schiele pics.

footflaps

This thread means nothing to me.

Who asked you Midge?

dknwhy

footflaps – Member

Who asked you Midge?

Bit harsh.

*dances off with tears in his eyes*

ratherbeintobago

We went, albeit ten years ago, and had a great time.

You need to go to Hotel Sacher and eat Sacher Torte. It’s the Law.

You probably don’t need to go and see Franz Ferdinand’s car and uniform (complete with bullet holes) in the military museum.

You definitely don’t need to go to the medical school museum and admire Billroth’s gastrectomy specimens, though we did.

Oh yeah, as above you need to go to the Prater and go on the wheel so you can pretend to be Harry Lime. Or James Bond.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a long shot but a chance to listen to the vienna phil is a rare treat (failing that, the symphoniker is plenty good enough to my ear). Depends on their dates and then you’ve got to make the effort with ticket availability (there will be returns available from a specific date).

kcal

Went along time ago for a few days — it was a bit bizarre in as much as all the above is true – rude and polite at the same time, taxi driver that collected us I swear clicked his heels as he opened the car door..

Went to the opera house, the palaces, Belvedere, the Prater Park – I think for a ride in the wheel, was a bit odd. Enjoyed it mostly, would actually go back but there are other places would love to visit over Vienna. Good friend lived there for a while and I’m sure she said it was an acquired taste..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Vienna! Recommendations for a long weekend.’ is closed to new replies.