Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Video news on here – good stuff or lazy journalism?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

I used to look forward to the updates from Eurobike, Interbike etc. The current thing for lumping some barely-edited video up there seems a retrograde step for me. I liked STW initially for the style of writing and this is reflected when the staff can be aersed to take some photos and write some copy – I don’t get STW from the video stuff at all. Am I just not nu meedya enough for teh coolness?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t like it

bullheart
    Free Member

I’d agree with lazy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mintimperial

I’m not a fan. I can surreptitiously browse a load of pics of bike stuff or whatever in between getting things done at work, but I have to whack the headphones on and stop working for videos, making it clear that I’m messing about and not working, so I don’t bother. And I’m self-employed, it must be a right pain if you’re a proper employee…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I also do not like it. I want to see pictures and some good writing supporting those pictures.

Lazy.

clubber
    Free Member

another no likey. pics you can look at and see things in more detail which is what you want for new stuff. Plus you can just skip over the stuff you’re not interested in.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I don’t like it either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, unanimous then.

Sort it out, chaps.

TooTall
    Free Member

Uh oh

I can see an unmarked transit van outside. There appear to be a couple of media-type blokes with statement glasses / beards / hair approaching the house with Bombers……………yoinks!

sc-xc

I agree. I like to digest things at my own pace. Down with this sort of thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PMSL @ “statement glasses”! 😆

rs
    Free Member

me no likey either

wallop

Am I missing something?

Good writing and photography – isn’t that what the magazine is for?

yossarian
    Free Member

Can’t stand it. No journalism involved.

Up your game STW!

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Mj1Us13Yk[/video]

hilldodger
    Free Member

Can see the value when it’s a review of something you may want to see in operation/use or from a variety of angles but not if it’s just some beardy dude going “ummmmmm, buy my stuff”
    Good comedy value tho’……..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

By way of illustration, have a look at this.

Great, clean photos showing us the bike. Simple text explaining what’s in the pictures and why it should be of interest to us.

nonk
    Free Member

no i don”t like it.

midlifecrashes

Wouldn’t want it instead of writing and pics, and would like the camera pointed at product a bit more, but why not. They can’t review every single bit of kit, and I wouldn’t want to read it all if they did, so why not show a few flicks of stuff that catches their eye. Certainly want to see proper tests and writing on major stuff like groupsets, forks where new technologies appear, oh and cake, obviously, more cake.

chipps

Hello there folks,
    I’m the guy that gets to do the words and pictures bit of the Eurobike coverage. Jon has been doing a great job of getting the video up, which might look like there are no words and pictures, but I’m slower at getting stories up, that’s all, so rest assured it’ll be there in full effect.

Video is great for showing how things work and in getting things explained properly. Words and pics are better for close ups and our take on things, though it does take a little extra time to write up.

It was a bit hard not having internet access at the show in the evenings, so I chose to spend the days in the halls, rather than in the press room. Anyway, now I’m back, I can get more writing up. Fortunately for Interbike we should be able to get words, pics, videos and Premier stuff all up in the evenings – and that starts… in about three days! eek!

packer
    Free Member

I also don’t really like the vids. My main gripe is they’re no good of you’re viewing on your phone.

Thanks for the comments Chipps – looking forward to the write-ups.

mulacs

I’ll stand up for the videos, I have to say I like them – however not in place of pictures and text. Good to hear that is all on it’s way, it’s a shame it was not able to be delivered all at once.
    I’ve already been verbally coshed by chipps for saying this, but I’ll say it again… the video’s are too focused on the presenters face and need to spend more time focusing on the bikes! The Bionicon is a good example, watch it with the sound off, the guy is urging you with his body language to look at the bike, willing you on even but no….FACE. Sigh. Add some pictures to the bottom of that article however and you’ve improved the situation 100%.
    Regardless of the above, I’m still glad that you’re putting the effort to get this brought to us, and that you have time to respond to our whining.
    Ok, time for more tea. chocolate hobnob anyone?

retro83
    Free Member

Meh, I like them. As wallop says, you can get a more thorough write up in the mag.

chipps

I took 768 photos… Might take take me a while to get through that lot. But I’ll get there – and should give you seamless daily stories from now until the end of Interbike… 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Not specific to STW particularly but with the exception of the NY Times, I’ve never seen online video plugged into news stories that’s any good.

TooTall
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments chipps. The thing is, before you bought a video camera at STW Towers, all we had were words and pictures and you made it work then. You set the precedent yourselves.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It was a bit hard not having internet access at the show in the evenings

I encounter this quite a lot when I travel with work and it’s frustrating when the hotel claims to have wifi but it’s useless. A couple of hours sat around working through the day’s stuff over a couple of beers is often very productive.

Looking forward to the words and pics.

s4rpf
    Free Member

Videos are useless when im at work. streaming media is blocked as standard so cant catch up with whats going on when im on lunch or having a cheaky five minutes. Much rather just be able to read a article and be able to put it down and pick it up as I please.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Video news on here – good stuff or lazy journalism?’ is closed to new replies.