Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Video editing software (for untechy person)
  • Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

We have the Adobe suite at work but due to downsizing no-one here knows how to use it properly, it costs a fortune (£50/month) and the subscription expires soon. I’m making very simple youtube videos, two cameras at most, but often two separate audio tracks, sometimes more. Minimal editing, I don’t have the time to do anything fancy, I’ve got a business to run and the youtubering is just one small part of that. I also don’t have the time to learn how to use a really complex pro package.

So far I’ve been editing on the iPad Pro with Adobe Rush which is a pretty slow and somewhat buggy bit of software but on the plus side it’s pretty easy to use. We’ve just got a new MacBook M1 so we have a good amount of power. Not shooting in 4K, just 1080p HD.

Syncing up waveforms to get sound in sync with video matters a lot to me – when demoing bass my fast fingers must match the audio! Quick and easy ways to add captions. And quick and easy ways to mute and unmute different audio tracks as I swap between speech and guitar/bass demos through a different mic. I’ve also been using the noise reduction for the speech mic track (a tiny Rode shotgun) on Rush. They’re more educational / sound demos than anything else – if they’re entertaining then that’s a side effect, not the goal.

Despite being an engineer, I am neither good with computers nor very tolerant of their foibles. A while back I asked for advice here on home music solutions and was told that network drives are easy to set up – for me that was absolutely not the case, it drove me mad and never worked properly. That should give you a good reference point for my IT ineptitude!

Premier Icon zilog6128

If you’ve got an iPad Pro, have a look at Luma Fusion, it’s brilliant!

Premier Icon rs
    Free Member

Luma Fusion is great and works on the M1 too. Watch a couple of YouTube vids to understand your way around it.

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

Lumafusion looks good!

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Davinci Resolve…..far more capable than I am at using it! I’ve really not got the interest/patience required to learn how to use it properly.

Premier Icon woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Any Windows recommendations? I’m about to switch back to Windows but will still need to do a bit of video editing

Premier Icon andy8442
    Free Member

Imovie ? Or is that too simple?

Premier Icon bear-uk
    Free Member

Davinchi resolve free version on my windose 10 craptop

Premier Icon teethgrinder

Davinci Resolve free for Windows 10, but only works on 64bit, and needs a decent amount of ram.

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

I use movie magix on Windows. Pretty initiative, not so flashy, but capable of much more than what I do.

Premier Icon leffeboy

Lightworks is free for windows and it is just fine for syncing playing the bass with your fingers. I like it because it is so easy to sync up the audio and cut between different audio tracks

DaVinci résolve is another good option

I would recommend looking at the online tutorials for both to see which matches best how you think about things.  Both will require a bit of learning but it isn’t terrible, and once you have your workflow sorted it gets fast

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

“I’ve really not got the interest/patience required to learn how to use it properly.”

This is my problem with most software! Add time to the triumvirate too!

“Imovie ? Or is that too simple?”

I don’t think iMovie does enough audio tracks because with more complex videos we could have quite a lot of mics going on! Focusrite soundcard does eight, plus the camera mic. We can pre-mix in Garageband or Logic but it would be nice to avoid that most of the time to give video editing flexibility.

Premier Icon leffeboy

“I’ve really not got the interest/patience required to learn how to use it properly.”

This is my problem with most software! Add time to the triumvirate too!

Standard problem these days.  Everyone wants a piece of software that does exactly what they want, cheaply and works intuitively without learning.  It’s not impossible to find but software that starts that way inevitably becomes complex as they add more features to expand the base slightly

Anyway… 10 mins tutorial, less time than most spend in this place in a day.  See if this is easy enough to follow and isn’t too scary.   There are a lot more tutorials around but this isn’t bad

Premier Icon windyg
    Free Member

I use Wondershare Filmora I found it very simple to use they have a free demo(watermarked) version.
    I was happy to pay the £40 a year for something that works for me.

Premier Icon durwyn

one really simple one for ipads Is inshot (on the app store). its good but the music within the app is pretty limited

Premier Icon colournoise

My standard answer for this is Shotcut. Free and cross-platform. not a huge learning curve for the basics but pretty powerful if you want to delve deeper.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.