Victims of Superstar Components

Home Forum Chat Forum Victims of Superstar Components

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 178 total)
  • Victims of Superstar Components
  • joefm

Wow. How weird

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

I’ve had quite a bit off stuff from superstar, all been good apart from a cheap bottom bracket, which lasted about 3 rides, I was tempted to send it back but in the end I couldn’t be bothered.

I bought the wrong pads and only realised about 6 weeks later, they happily swapped them for the right ones.

I like your support page, obviously completely pointless seeing as you failed to win your own case, how much did that cost you btw?

“He has taken the sport away from me that I love”

You need to get a

Legoman

So OP…. has this panned out how you imagined?

mulv1976

Apart from their pedals, I will only ever buy consumable stuff like brake pads from ssc based on what I’ve researched regarding more expensive stuff like wheels etc. The same can be said for Dave Hinde – do your research before you order. It might be cheap but there’s usually a reason for that.

I can understand the OP’s frustration but that website just seems like a crazy rant.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

AntiSuperstarComponents.com create this site under the freedom of speech law expressing provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights; however this site under no circumstances will tolerate nor promote defamation, slander, malice or libel of either Mr Neil Wilkinson or “Superstar Components LTD”. We will take no risks whatsoever and only document true and legal facts which will be documented with adequate research.

You might want to hold your website’s content up against your own statement above (copied from your website) and see if you can tick that box.

I’ve had good and bad experiences of SSC. I’m on the fence frankly about them. But I’m not on any fence with you, you’re beyond crazy in letting this eat you up and you need to move on. It hasn’t robbed you of your sport, but letting this go on any longer might cause you to lose more than the cost of a wheel and a court case, you could easily find yourself on the wrong end of a second one.

wrecker

I guess this is the issue. The OP may have a valid gripe, but he’s managed to express it in such a way that has evaporated any goodwill he would have been entitled to.

Fair point.
    Not all of us can write particularly well, or have experience of doing so.
    He’s still been had over by SSC IMHO and it’s pretty disgraceful.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

the o’Leary school of marketing and PR?

Hmmm… could use a spare BB or two and a few other sundry items. Have enough spare wheels for now, but could use a spare hub to replace one sourced elsewhere.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

That looks proper nuts. Well done!

Jamie

Fair point.
    Not all of us can write particularly well, or have experience of doing so.
    He’s still been had over by SSC IMHO and it’s pretty disgraceful.

True.

I imagine if he rewords the site, cutting the histrionics, then he can have a valid platform to air his grievances.

I imagine the OP has looked into this before going to court, but did he try to get his money back from his debit/credit card providers? Or even Paypal have a buyer protection schemes.

legend

The ‘evidence’ video is awesumz! “look these little spacers can move” followed by the camera shaking more than the wheel 8)

Actually, the whole court case thing is hilarious! Looking forward to http://www.antijudgewhatsherface.com!

I imagine if he rewords the site, cutting the histrionics, then he can have a valid platform to air his grievances won’t have much of a web site left.

uwe-r

I am a happy customer and even have a Superstar sticker on my locker. Should I make a web site?

MoseyMTB

Not sure on this one, the op has been screwed over afterall.

To me and my family £400 is a huge amount and if the above happened i’d be pretty livid too.

Would i make a site? No
    Wouild i buy superstar wheels? No

Would i be mightily pi££ed off? yep

What would you lot have done in this situation? Just wrote off £400?

I know i couldn’t just do that.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Can understand why the OP is peeved, but…

You MUST remove all the angry comments, anything potentially slanderous and anything not at all factual, otherwise nobody is going to take you at all seriously! Also spelling mistakes matter. It doesn’t matter that you can spell or not personally, but everyone can use a spell checked and get someone to proof read! Spelling mistakes in a finished document make you sound half arsed and lazy, perhaps why the court hearing went against you as Neil did sound especially prepared by comparison…

Would suggest you’d be far better off doing the above, and then maybe compiling a database of good and bad products that people have bought from SSC in the past… I’ll start…

SKF bearing BB… Total crap, lasted about 4 rides and that was despite me putting extra grease in from the start!
    Red compound brake pads… Poor power, very noisy when wet, 2 sets out of 4 the pad material fell off the back plate
    Non floating brake rotors… Within reason a rotor is a rotor. These are just rebadged Clark’s. Worked fine.
    Single ring chain device… Back plate made of cheese, didn’t keep the chain on, v poor design (also sold as Madison M:Parts though too)
    Grips… Too hard rubber compound and not grippy enough for my tastes. Might suit others fine though.
    Switch Evo hubs… Hoping not to jinx myself, but so far so good. Not expecting miracles but buying the wheel set was almost as cheap as the rims only…
    KS i950 seatpost… Utter crap! Tried warranting it, not interested. They said they’d repair it at my cost… Found the instructions online, fixed myself. Sold on with a caveat that it had failed before but was currently fixed and working ok.

If that helps, feel free to quote me above…

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I bought stuff from Superstar.

I bought a Seat-Tube mounted XCX Single ring guide… it was 1/4 of the price of an E-Thirteen… it transpires it was about 1/4 as good.

I wouldn’t use them for anything unless it was a ‘test the water’ as per the XCX guide.. or something like Pads that i class as disposable items.

clubber

As has been suggested above, while the OP might feel better for having a bit of a rant via his web page, IMO it’s counterproductive.

Reading the court case summary here:
    http://www.antisuperstarcomponents.com/mystory.htm

I am left with the impression that the OP is lacking in self awareness and quite possibly one of those people who cannot ever see anything other than their narrow view of things. As such, I find it hard to give any credibility to his story and suspect that if I’d been there I’d have had a very different impression of it.

Anyway, on the previous thread, I’ve said that I’ve used SSC without any problems. I know other people (who I actually have some faith in) have had problems which haven’t always been dealt with brilliantly. I buy from SSC with that in mind – I certainly wouldn’t buy anything expensive from them.

xiphon

LOL @ the court case.

Not surprised you lost with the attitude shown on your “website”

ascomp

Hey guys.

I have read a lot on the web and on here about how people have been ripped off or had terrible service from Superstar Components, I was one of them so I took them to court and I did a web site about them.

The aim of the site is to have 1 voice and I will help advise and support those of you who have bought faulty components or received bad/no service, I will even come and sit with you in court for support 🙂

I made this site under the duty of care law to help members of the cycling community go through what a lot of people have been complaining about.

The site still needs a bit of work but the forum is live, we sure would like to hear from anyone who has bought products and were unable to get a refund or if their product was defective or only lasted a matter of weeks, like my £300 set of wheels which I couldn’t get a refund from ! (disgusting).

It’s not fair when things happen like this, the cycling community must stick together.

So please spread the word and if anyone is thinking about taking SS to court like I did or just wants to rant and rave about their experience and get it off your chest, feel free to pop along.

Ride safe folks.

Matt
    http://www.AntiSuperstarComponents.com

I can’t fathom how you lost that court case.

sharkbait

I am left with the impression that the OP is lacking in self awareness and quite possibly one of those people who cannot ever see anything other than their narrow view of things bonkers.

Clubber stop wasting keystrokes mate, you may need them in the future 🙂

MoseyMTB

If you look on the forum there is another guy taking him to court over a bb. Maybe we will get another amazing website to look at.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

If we’re doing a database of parts, then mine are:

BB bearings – all good, lasted as long as XT (not surprising since it’s off the shelf bearing)
    Pedals – those cheap £15 ones from a few years back – still going strong
    Sintered Brake Pads – didn’t last any where near as long as Formula ones, but they weren’t anywhere near the price either

Friends have all manner of items, such as the Switch Evo wheels, skewers, brake pads (they swear by them – maybe the Shimano copy ones are better than Formula copies?), … all good, no issues to report

Would use them again.

wrecker

I suppose the less you can afford to take a £400 octopus seamen bath, the more annoyed you’ll be about it.
    I’m not (and could not) justify the time and effort in going to court, setting up a website and publicising said website. Just thinking that the OP might have saved up for a while for these wheels and ill afford another set.

The switch hubs are just rebranded Novatec anyway aren’t they? (D882SB by the looks of it)

£400 octopus seamen bath

Is that a special treatment down at the dockside spa?

mudshark

Good on the OP – power to the people…. OK would be more useful if less emotive but seems fair enough to me.

dannyh

That’s just reminded me – I need to order some new pads from Superstar.

Thanks – I’ll get on to this now………

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Wrecker, earlier….

marsdenman

A website created by a man who, it would appear, has nothing short of utter contempt for Neil & SSC yet has 3 direct links to the SSC website in the homepage?

FWIW, OP, I’ve only used SSC for their sintered pads. Never had a problem…

I’m not bothering to read it all but I you’re a sad man aren’t you. Note the lack of question mark – it wasn’t a question.

wrecker

Wrecker, earlier….

I don’t geddit. Should I be offended?
    Adress gives me;

sexy-man-whith-art-hair-ink-on-face

Thanks!

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

mmm I’ve just finished the tang-tactics that came with my superstar pads. The pads were cheap, arrived next day and have yet to result in a firey death (only 3 years so too soon to tell)

Edit: just read the rant website. FFS. You have been wronged, but it’s not like he stole your first born.

What do you actually want from him? Do you want him shut down and on the street? Do you want him strung up? You’re wasting a hell of a lot of effort, time and money. Be careful not to lose perspective.

Oh and why would you pay that much for hubs and wheels of dubious quality!? A good wheel builder could have built you a good set of wheels for the same money (using proper rims, spokes & branded hubs). If it’s a decent wheel builder you’d get free coffee, biscuits and a true up after a few months into the bargain.

Wozza

WTF? You can get wheels somewhere other than Merlin Cycles?

Buy cheap, (re-badged Chinese rubbish)… buy twice.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

£400 octopus seamen bath

Suggests you have had experience of said bath.

That there is a pic of a man with ink all over his face.

If you feel offended, I’m sorry, please go to http://www.antipicsofbeingspaffedonbyanoctopus.com for help and support getting over this traumatic event.

😉

wrecker

I have actually been inked by an octopus once whilst diving in the Adriatic. Far from being traumatic, I quite enjoyed it 😀

I have actually been inked by an octopus once whilst diving in the Adriatic. Far from being traumatic, I quite enjoyed it

http://www.anoctopusspaffedonmeandilikedit.com

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

£400 is a bargain then?

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

That octopus coathanger pic nearly had me in tears.

PJM1974

In the interests of forum balance, I have to agree that if I’d encountered the same customer service as the OP, I’d be absolutely spitting nails.

However, there is a line between putting a reasoned argument online in the interests of fellow consumers and slander, also a spelling and grammar check will often mean the difference between being taken seriously and the reaction seen here.

bencooper

If the OP acts like that in a court of law, one wonders what he was like when he visited the shop.

jamiea

Can someone please help me out, where does this SS/octopi thing come from?

As for me- SS disk pads have been fine (for the price) and I’ve put a few hundred miles on a GXP BB on the commuter with no issues.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Never bought anything from SSC probably never will. I can sort if understand the OPs perspective £400 is a lot for wheels that then don’t work at all.

But it’s a dull truism that there are 2 sides to every story.

nwgiles

uwe-r – Member
    I am a happy customer and even have a Superstar sticker on my locker

steady on

grim168

Had wheels, pedals, grips and brake pads. All been great and would definately use them again.

OP – You should ride in the snow.

jaymoid

can I have one of those chocolate octopus (octopi?) please.

The word ‘octopus’ originates from the Greek word okt?pous, and as such the plural is ‘octopodes’, rather than applying the rules for some Latin plurals.

The modern plural in English is ‘octopuses’, although ‘octopodes’ sounds so much cooler.

“Who ate all my anotomically-incorrect chocolate octopedes?!”

I have some superstar flats, sintered pads, and grips. However I won’t be buying anything else from them now I know that the owner is a bit of a ming.

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Victims of Superstar Components’ is closed to new replies.