Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Viable second income streams – Like Uber, but not… Any suggestions?
  • Sadly some s**t has gone down, and a lack of attention has resulted in some eye-watering bills that need to be paid on a distressingly aggressive timescale.

I have a long-ish hours office job, but could really do with earning an extra £25k to £50k in the next six months. The lotto is an obvious, but flawed choice.

I have some digital UX/marketing/copywriting type skills, that I could perhaps pop on one of those gig economy sites (although I don’t know how much energy I have for that – I guess necessity is the mother of invention). Does anyone have experience of this?

Or what would you do to make that kind of money on top of your job? I don’t have any assets to liquidate or sell either (long, dull story of well-intentioned misadventures).

martymac

Well, a mate of mine has been a taxi driver in Edinburgh for more than 20years, and he’s recently switched to uber.
    He says he’s making more than he ever did on the taxis, and gets less hassle for it.
    If he turns up and some **** looks like they’ve just shit themself he just presses a button to cancel that job.
    It’s not all positive of course, last friday the second punter spewed all over the back of the car.
    Don’t rule anything out, including a good honest talk with your creditors.
    Best of luck, I hope you can work things out.

tomhoward

You want something you can do, part time, that will net fifty to a hundred thousand pounds in a year? In the gig economy?

Sorry, I was going to suggest something funny, but I’m actually speechless.

Good luck, but seek professional advice for the upcoming bills ASAP

TheBrick
    Free Member

You will need to get some contracts doing what you do now and moon light and if you can day light. The second option is obviously high risk as you can be sacked if caught.

I don’t know what the rates are copy writing but 6 months = 26 weeks. £1k a week. 2 full days a week plus maybe 2 – 3 by working evenings and the odd but of day lighting.

1000/4 = £250, or 1000/5 =£200 after tax. 40% tax
    250/0.6 =£416 or 200/0.6 = £333. Will be you required day rate assuming you can get the 4-5 days work in over every week.

Not impossible but hard.

PiknMix
    Free Member

What are your horticultural skills like?

maccruiskeen

I have a long-ish hours office job, but could really do with earning an extra £25k to £50k in the next six months.

If you’re already working long hours then you’ve probably only got a max of 4 hours a day to do anything extra if you’re hoping to sleep as well.

4hrs a day for 6 months is 480 hours. So to raise £50k you need a job that pays over £100 an hour after tax. How does that compare to your day job?

TheBrick
    Free Member

£500 a day pre tax gets you down to 3.3 days a week.

Seems like high rate for someone not full time and not established in an industry but maybe your industry pays really well?

TheBrick
    Free Member

4hrs a day for 6 months is 480 hours.

Only if you are working 5 days a week.
    26x10hrx2 gets you 520 just on weekends

Northwind

It’s a very big ask. I make a small side-income basically flipping stuff on ebay, buying job lots that are reliably worth more when split. It’s not very scalable for my particular target market but then, that also means I’m not competing with people doing it full time. Couple of hundred quid a month when I’ve got it running nice and nondisruptive, bit more if I put the work in. Probably £30 an hour or so on average and a small amount of initial capital. It’s also generally quite fun so I don’t get home from work and go ZAMG more work.

funkrodent

Wish I could offer good advice, other than ignore those ads on websites “Manchester mum shares how she made millions”. That said, if you do manage to nail it then by all means feel free to share how you made it work😏

On a less flippant note, sounds like you’ve got some talking to do. Most creditors (I’m hoping it’s not drug debts or some such, though that sort wouldn’t be talking six months, more like six days) are willing to sort out payment plans and such.

Regardless, good luck and that, hope you get it sorted

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

oldtennisshoes

If you have good UX skills, could it be worth ditching the permanent job and going contracting? Top end UX day rates are around the £500 mark. Good luck.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

And you’ll be hammered on tax. I’d be seeking advice on debt management first and foremost.

Aidy
    Free Member

I have a long-ish hours office job, but could really do with earning an extra £25k to £50k in the next six months. The lotto is an obvious, but flawed choice.

Can you change your job for something better paying, and so reduce the amount you require as a second income stream?

TheFlyingOx

I know of someone who used to make $90k at a time taking vaguely illegal steroids across the border from Cambodia into Thailand. He’s in prison now, but if you get really desperate…

It’s a big ask in a very short amount of time. At the very least I’d be looking at some kind of debt restructuring. Is a remortgage feasible?

Northwind

I don’t know what you earn now but… If you think you could earn £50000 in 6 months outside your job, and you earn less than £100000 currently in your job, why do you do your job?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Credit card fraud sounds like the best bet here. 😆

captmorgan
    Free Member

wrightyson
    Free Member

Short term Remortgage and pay back over a couple of years (via overpayments) with the extra job as opposed to months?
    Don’t tell this is your reason though or they wont lend you the money as I once found out!

bedmaker

You need to get involved in pyriamid selling of makeup / insurance / meal replacement shakes.
    You’ll want to be at the top of the pyriamid though.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have you ever been in the SAS? If so, maybe some kind of bodyguard/driver for overpaid Arsenal players?

Otherwise, some kind of drop shipping setup on Amazon? Once you’ve got it set up it should just make money by itself.

Uber isn’t a bad idea either.

In the end, you’ll probably have to do a multitude of things.

Though in the end, it probably isn’t going to happen. Maybe accepting that and looking at the problem differently? Declare bankruptcy?

MoreCashThanDash

Get some debt advice asap and talk to your creditors, for all the reasons listed above. Remortgage sounds the only other viable option.

Used to have a lady in our cycling club did webcam and other adult work, she made a decent amount but not that much (after tax!)

funkmasterp

Sell some spare organs and body parts. One of your eyes, an ear etc. Basically anything you have two of. If you could explain the nature of the debt(s) it might give people a better indication of your options.

paton
    Free Member

TiRed

Seek debt advice ASAP. Unless your other skill is a consultant plastic surgeon or the like in the NHS, it is not going to happen. Better to plan now.

Otherwise, remortgage is the most available option.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Same question for me, but I’d like to do less hours and instead of £25-£50k I’d like £50-£75k.

paton
    Free Member

Vader
    Free Member

The answer, my friend, is Air BnB

tomhoward

The answer, my friend, is Air BnB

He’d need to rent out whatever space he had at £140-£280 per night (every night) to hit the target. Not including tax.

Not impossible, dependant on where he is, but unlikely.

poolman
    Free Member

In the early 90s when interest rates touched 15% i needed to get some extra money in, so as well as my day job I did gardening on a Saturday, got a lodger and bought and sold bikes.

The bike bit was the best, I was into touring so spotted you could buy raleigh randonneurs for say 300 in loot, clean them up and sell them on in the ctc mag for c 500. The constraint was the supply I think I did about 10.

I think now i would do bromptons, you soon spot where the market is and what it will pay. I guess you buy them in London and sell them on outside.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got any experience running a bike company? How about tattoos? Trail running?

If the answers are No/yes/and anything other than “what’s that got to do with it?”. Then have you considered a medium scale fraud?

tomhoward

Got any experience running a bike company? How about tattoos? Trail running?

Vegan cheese can bail you out, if those all fail.

Trimix
    Free Member

^, very good.

the-muffin-man

Looking at your posting history you are a regular on here with a second account.And your post from 2 years ago suggests debt isn’t a new thing – is this the same debt or new debt?

25 to 50k in six months part time is nigh on impossible by legal means.

As others have said, get some professional dept advice. Or at the very least ask for advice on here – it’s a great forum with very knowledgeable members…
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136

philjunior
    Free Member

I got a helpful email from the bank informing me that offers to work from home and make £££s usually involve handling £££s for drug dealers and other crims.

And there was me thinking it was just a total scam! I assume it would pay if you manage not to get entangled with the law. But that seems quite a big risk, perhaps speaking to creditors would be a better option.

Marin
    Free Member

Sell property if you have one with any value in. Work out deal with creditors. Declare bankruptcy. If it’s the kind of debt settled with bats and broken bones start running.

Trimix
    Free Member

Eh ? So there is value in bats and broken bones then 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Only if your wheelchair is titanium.

philjunior
    Free Member

Can the bills be paid with a loan that might be affordable, or do you need to earn 25k+ extra over 6 months?

hols2
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Viable second income streams – Like Uber, but not… Any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.