Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • VHB Adhesive tape advice
  • binman

I have no experience of using these before so advice would be appreciated.

My sliding glass shower door has parted company from the overhead aluminum sliding mechanism. It appears that it was joined / bonded with some clear adhesive tape.

Should I remove the old tape and try and re-join it ?

What tape / other adhesive would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance

nickdavies

Yes its brilliant stuff just make sure you get proper genuine 3m.

maccruiskeen

It appears that it was joined / bonded with some clear adhesive tape.

VHB isn’t clear so originally the job was done by something else. Toffee tape is clear, sticky, gummy material that stays elastic and doesn’t set. Think of a more tenacious version of the gummy stuff that’s used to stick freebies to magazines

richmars

3M website has lots of info, check what material you’re sticking to, as different grades for different materials.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Some VHB is clear. It is very pressure sensitive ie.. you need to apply the correct amount over the whole area for the correct length of time. The bond isn’t always immediate, it has a curing time so you may need to leave it a while before loading.. 3M do a very good job of making everyone think their products are superior, they aren’t always. Where are you? We have rolls of the stuff at work.

richmars

I don’t think its curing (but could be wrong). More that it’s flowing into the surface features of what you’re sticking together. This is why it doesn’t work well at low temperatures, such as fixing things inside walk in freezers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘VHB Adhesive tape advice’ is closed to new replies.