Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Vet fees for a cat
  • rocketman
    Free Member

A stray cat moved in with us about a year ago. She’s a sweet natured affectionate little thing and is a firm favourite with all the family. So far she’s only needed the usual injections but long term I’m thinking about insurance vs putting some money aside every month.

I just wondered what sort of bills people were faced with when their cat needed an operation?

Are we talking hundreds or thousands of £ 😕

dribbling
    Free Member

Our 18 MONTH old male cat developed a urinary problem a few months ago.

Just north of £2k now and am currently at home waiting to pipette his piss.

Get insurance.

wallop

Get insurance. You may never need it, but you never know.

Our little lad got the urinary crystals a few years ago but luckily it hasn’t happened since.

Insurance for a male cat can be around £5-15 a month. Girls are cheaper – ours is £7 a month with M&S.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make sure it’s neutered and chipped. After that insurance can give you peace of mind. See last thread about dog insurance.

mrmo
    Free Member

i live with two cats, i have lived with over the years about a dozen. The most expensive treatment for any of them was from memory c£500. If you add up the insurance and the treatment cost the insurance cost more.

wallop

If you add up the insurance and the treatment cost the insurance cost more.

You could use that analogy for car insurance. Everyone is different – for us it’s peace of mind. Some treatments for illnesses can run into thousands.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mrmo that’s good luck. The missus could get through £500 fairly easily on a number of things with cats. Teeth out being one. As soon as it goes to sleep your going to get the bill going up.

organic355
    Free Member

Wheres Shiboleth? he will be along in a minute with some helpful advice…..

Markie
    Free Member

To clipper one side of a cat is £22.

wwaswas

insurance is based on averages. On average, the company takes mor emoney off its customers than it pays out in claims.

For most customers they’ll pay more than they claim.

For a few customers they’ll claim a lot more than they pay.

It’s a bet isn’t it. You v the insurer. They have years of experience, sophisticated mathemetical modelling and actuaries on their side.

You have a few IT bods on stw on yours.

footflaps

insurance is based on averages. On average, the company takes mor emoney off its customers than it pays out in claims.

+1

We don’t insure our cats.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Wheres Shiboleth? he will be along in a minute with some helpful advice…..

Yep, always happy to offer friendly, helpful advice. Fuggedabout insurance, spend the money on something worthwhile, and ALWAYS ASK THE VET FOR A QUOTE BEFORE HE UNDERTAKES ANY WORK.

If it’s cheaper to have the cat put to sleep, put it to sleep. I offer very competitive rates. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Vet fees for a cat’ is closed to new replies.