• This topic has 27 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Very specific pump required
  • onandon
    Free Member

I have  a load of pumps but non of them are perfect.

i hate pumps with hoses so my Lezyne’s are out.

my topeaks are great but too small to really be effective .

silca tattico is awesome but a bit big n heavy for the jersey pocket.

so, what would be a max of 8 inches long, with no hose and under 100 grams.

scaredypants

frame mount for your silca ?

onandon
    Free Member

Nope. Has to be in the jersey pocket.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CO2, if your getting enough punctures for that to be a problem something else is wrong

onandon
    Free Member

I want a pump, not co2.

parkesie
    Free Member

Topeak dx2 always used to be a good pump. I use the mountain morph now but that has a hose on.

simon_g

Just got one of these which is slightly over length and weight but works pretty well for MTB tyres: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/mini-pumps/1082-mountain-da

Anything much smaller is too much of a faff to use IME.

onandon
    Free Member

This is for road pressures.

otsdr
    Free Member

Tattico has a hose.

Blackburn AirStik SL? I have one, but I’ve never used it to fully pump up a road tyre. Works in a pinch.

legend
    Free Member

What don’t you like about hoses? ime it makes mini pumps much easier to use

Tiny wee carbon mini pump off ebay. Under 6″ long, does road pressures with the minor downside of taking a while to get there

onandon
    Free Member

Tattico has a hose.

Sure does, but it’s a lever lock rather than a shitty screw on lezyne hose.

Legend, sure, there are plenty of small pumps but they take ages to pump up to a decent pressure.

Im looking to keep the silca for mountain biking and replace all the others with one decent road specific pump for road.

ill sell the others or give them away and make room in the tool box.

legend
    Free Member

Sure does, but it’s a lever lock rather than a shitty screw on lezyne hose.

I really don’t get why they dont have the pressure relief button on their mini pumps – takes away all the issues with valves screwing off.

Fair enough about the size. I just figure that it’s going to spend 99.99% of it’s like in my pocket, so I’ll handle the emergency situation when it arises

daern
    Free Member

Im looking to keep the silca for mountain biking and replace all the others with one decent road specific pump for road.

You mentioned above that you weren’t interested in CO2 – might I ask why? I switched for road a year or so ago and don’t regret it at all – it cuts down the time to get going again by at least 50% and the cost of 16g cylinders is so low, they’re almost free. I’ve owned pocket-pumps that claim to do road pressures, but the amount of time and effort that it seems to take to get to > 100psi means that I nearly always end up riding home with lower pressure as I get bored of pumping.

I now also use them on the MTB, but the larger 25g carts for the 29er wheels are much, much more expensive. In fact, I now carry multiple 16g instead as they’re loads cheaper and not much bigger!

As far as I can tell, the only big disadvantage is that once you’ve used your CO2, you’re buggered, but I always carry enough to handle at least 2 punctures and, as I ride with other people most of the time, could always lean on a fellow rider to borrow a pump if needed – after all, I’ve used my CO2 to inflate their tyres often enough! 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

I used to carry co2 when it was first a “thing”

after being stranded more than once I stopped using it as my only option.

carry a pump and co2 to be sure to be sure. Just ditch the co2.

So no, not an option.

I read read a bunch of reviews of lots on mini pumps and the press usually give them all poor ratings. I don’t know of any other bike product that’s so essential but so poorly executed.

JoB
    Free Member

there’s really no such thing as a light, small, pocketable pump that actually works at getting decent road pressure into a tyre, there’s always a compromise somewhere

i have a large collection of mini-pumps in the cupboard under the sink, i use a Zefal HPX frame-fit pump which i often lend to those with mini-pumps when i want to get home before dark

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I read read a bunch of reviews of lots on mini pumps and the press usually give them all poor ratings. I don’t know of any other bike product that’s so essential but so poorly executed.

Because everything about them is a compromise, shrinking it down to give you a small volume chamber, that requires a lot of pumps and no flexibility, A hose at least makes it less likely to damage the valve and hold the pump at an ergonomic angle to use.

After being made to have an actual pump for an event I got this

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c11/pumps-c147/air-rush-road-co2-inflator-and-mini-pump-p275/s796?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=bontrager-air-rush-road-co2-inflator-and-mini-pump-426905&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9NbdBRCwARIsAPLsnFaY9AhoVPIpybecuSpP7juTfU9R4yGpGJl8WkW6K_uxYMReMBV89j4aAnjuEALw_wcB

Seems to pump things up.

jimdubleyou

Bontrager Air Rush Road. 

CO2 + Pump

Edit: +1 mikewsmith 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

FWE telescopic road one – outstanding, best pump I’ve ever used by miles.  Fully sealed when not in use too.

This one

daern
    Free Member

Bontrager Air Rush Road. 

CO2 + Pump

That looks extremely vulnerable to me. I’d snap those CO2 carts off on the first descent, or the first carry! I think I’d just stick ’em in the jersey pocket with a dedicated head (they’re only tiny) and have the pump as a separate entity if I wanted one.

JoB
    Free Member

That looks extremely vulnerable to me. I’d snap those CO2 carts off on the first descent, or the first carry! I think I’d just stick ’em in the jersey pocket with a dedicated head (they’re only tiny) and have the pump as a separate entity if I wanted one.

your road riding is far more radcore than mine

daern
    Free Member

your road riding is far more radcore than mine

Hah, yes! I sometimes forget what sort of bike we’re talking about here!

In that case, I take back my comment and add this one instead:

“Damn, that’s too fugly for my svelte road bike!”

(I like the FWE one posted above – that looks back-pocketable, which is much more to my own taste. Maybe I should get one for the longer, solo rides)

bob_summers

Lezyne seem to be the best of a bad bunch unfortunately.  I don’t mind the hoses tbh, I’ve never had the core unscrew like some have, but they refuse to seal properly on some brands of valve (I’m on tubs, but have seen this on tubes too).  The thread gets chewed up quite quickly too.

I just swallow my pride and use a Zefal frame pump these days.  When the verges are being cut/strimmed I average a flat at least every week so it’s worth it.

daern
    Free Member

I just swallow my pride and use a Zefal frame pump these days.  When the verges are being cut/strimmed I average a flat at least every week so it’s worth it.

I’ve just switched my road bike to tubeless, following the example from my MTBs which have been tubeless for years and all but eradicated tyre problems from my rides. It’s certainly not as simple as the higher pressures mean that ghetto solutions are less likely to work, but mine has worked faultlessly. I don’t get loads of punctures, but I’m hoping that these will give a similar result to my MTBs.

(I had new wheels anyway as the rims wore out on the old ones – Hunt Race Aero + Schwalbe Pro One Evo – straight forward to assemble. Stuck the first 5 hours on them on Sunday and they worked perfectly)

onandon
    Free Member

Apparently the xtreme airik teleskop is very good.

looks very much like that silver one posted above.

PrinceJohn

I’ve found leyzne with the hoses to be the best compromise. Every single one I’ve used without a hose I’ve ended up bending the valve.

onandon
    Free Member

Good for you. I have three if you want to buy them.

docgeoffyjones

Airbone. Charlie the bike monger sells them.

kilo

I just swallow my pride and use a Zefal frame pump these days.

Not not sure where swallowed pride comes from in using a tool that does the job, I’ve a couple of these for the road bikes great bits of kit and cheap

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Very specific pump required’ is closed to new replies.