Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Very OT – petrol jerry can that doesn’t smell
  • bob_summers

As title really.  I need to carry 5-10L to run an unleaded camp stove & lamp, and the van stinks of petrol.  I imagine it’s sweating through the cheap plastic can.  When I used to race 250s, I’d have around 50L of premixed Avgas in a couple of metal jerry cans sloshing around in the van and I don’t remember it smelling so bad.  Are they the answer?  Something like this?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I use metal cans now. as you say the plastic ones STINK.

I carry 25litres now and again in the back of the camper when i take the genny to events like the puffer. no smell….

yet when i used to collect 5 litres in the plastic can for the lawnmower the car reeks of it.

mines just cheap ones out of toolstation.

I think also alot of it is – using a proper funnel / spout and the metal not being able to absorb the smell like the fuel spilt onto a plastic jerry can – no matter how careful you are it always ends up with some splashed onto it….

Stoner
    Free Member

plastic cans are porous to petrol vapour.

We’re not allowed to install long range plastic tanks under decks/in closed holds in the boats as you can end up with a concentration of explosive vapour. We have to use stainless steel (i.e. corrosion resistant) as metal tanks are not porous.

I find most metal tank nozzles systems woeful though and the spouts arent great for use with a funnel when full. I assume there are some better design ones out there that arent all Jerry can knock offs?

Stoner
    Free Member

EDIT this looks like a good option. Metal can with a decent flexy nozzle

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/breakdown-essentials/halfords-green-metal-fuel-can-10l

bob_summers

That looks just the ticket Stoner, I’ll try and get hold of one after work as we’re off camping tomorrow.

Northwind

I’ve got one that looks just like that Draper, with a separate clampy-on nozzle with a bendy bit on the end, works a charm imo. No idea where I got it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Even a metal one you’ll probably have a bit of petrol on the spout etc. and my wife grumbles a bit when one’s in the back of the van. I try to remember to put the separate spout in a ziplock bag which helps. But they are better than plastic for sure.

windyg
    Free Member

I always have a 20L metal jerry can in the van as the plastic. ones are really no good for long term use i always find they leak from the poor gasket.

supremebean
    Free Member

Keep a small can of brake cleaner with it to give the spout a quick clean before stowing away, my can has a metal spout with a rubber insert and it stinks if i don’t clean it first before putting it into my van.

Greybeard
    Free Member

An alternative is to buy Aspen 4 instead of petrol – it doesn’t smell, it burns better in camping gear and doesn’t have the additives that IC engines require. It is more expensive than petrol, but cheaper than Coleman fuel.

bodgy
    Free Member

Don’t buy cheap. Draper stuff is very poorly painted and rusts in an eye-blink.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Very OT – petrol jerry can that doesn’t smell’ is closed to new replies.