Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Very dry air in the workplace
  • Premier Icon IdleJon

This is a strange request so a bit of background..

My office moved a few years ago, to a large hangar-type building and almost immediately I started getting regular bouts of simusitis. Chatting to colleagues I found that this had become far more frequent and the rate of sickness had increased massively since the move. Several people blamed the air conditioning. It was raised with the relevant department who said they had thoroughly tested the air-con and there were no problems.

Recently I rode to work through torrential rain, hung my waterproof kit over my bike (kept at one end of the office) and on return, about 6 hours later, found the jacket was bone dry. (I also had a similar situation with my helmet straps getting so dry during the working day that I needed to loosen them for the ride home.)

Most worryingly, over the last few weeks my nose and throat are getting really ‘dried out’ after only a couple of hours in work and I leave feeling dreadful, coughing, sore throat, etc. It takes a couple of days out of the office to restore normality.

Having chatted to the personnel dept their only suggestion was ‘drinking lots of fluid’.

So, has anyone ever come across this and how was it dealt with?

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

Water Feature?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Have you a relative humidity sensor? We have one on top of home de-humidifier. It would give you an idea of how dry…

Premier Icon thecaptain
    Free Member

Humidifier. We had painfully dry offices in the winter, due to forced air heating system (and low ambient humidity to start with). You can buy things that look a bit like dehumidifiers, but they gently spray fine droplets of water into the air. Might take a fair bit of doing if your ceilings are really high.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

Thermal comfort is not measured by room temperature, but by the number of employees complaining of thermal discomfort.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/thermal/

Premier Icon globalti
    Free Member

Not only dry air but dust, fungi and pollutants will be floating around in the air as well. I keep a Boots deioniser on my office windowsill and the amount of crap that drops out onto the sill and the desk underneath is amazing.

http://www.boots.com/en/Heaven-Fresh-HF-100-Air-Ioniser_122396/

Premier Icon IdleJon

Thanks for the answers.

I need to take a hunidity sensor in to make sure it’s not all in my mind! Humidifiers might work, but it’s a gigantic space. I’ve suggested keeping a kettle boiling next to me – H&S don’t like it. 😆

Premier Icon rugbydick

Have a look at the HSE’s guidance on Sick Building Syndrome too.
    If it’s a problem with the workplace (which it appears to be as others are complaining too), then it’s your employer’s responsibility to check humidity, comfort levels, etc not yours…

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg132.pdf

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Very dry air in the workplace’ is closed to new replies.