Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • (what) Very basic video editing software ?
  • scaredypants

I’ve a MP4 that’s a big file (90 minutes of webinar) and I want to chop out around 3-4 minutes from the middle

Is that what handbrake does or, err, what ?

poly
    Free Member

I horrify colleagues by doing this sort of thing in the command line using FFMPEG. You can’t get much more basic than that! Although I suspect you were looking for simple to use – its not that hard actually, if you just want to do what you describe. But it is free, very small disk space-wise, and you’ll easily be able to google a command to chop the video.

Klunk
    Free Member

virtualdub basic and free

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajantom

QuickTime will let you split and edit MP4s
    Very, very easy.

sirromj

I horrify colleagues by doing this sort of thing in the command line using FFMPEG

I have in the past done this scripted, using bash arrays for video filenames, start points, and durations. Start points are gleaned from the mighty ffplay which loads and plays videos without delay unlike almost every other player. Seeking in ffplay is done by positioning the mouse and right clicking; command line shows position it seeks to; granularity gets worse with longer files however.

Mostly use Olive.

Cue comment about STW IT Geeks liberally sprinkled with patronising emojis 😉

zilog6128

Can this not just be done with Windows Movie Maker or iMovie?

scaredypants

Thanks all – went to google & found lightworks. Waaaay too capable for this task I imagine but it worked just fine

Obvs, next time I’ll do it all using Fortran !

Cougar

Counterintuitively, the Photos app baked into Windows 10 does this sort of thing.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Windows Movie Maker

I used to use this and it just worked.

And then they just dropped it. Really miss it actually for simplicity.

stonster
    Free Member

Windows Movie Maker

You can still find it on the interweb. Doesn’t ship with windows 10 but does still work with it.

ampthill

The free video editor in windows 10 replaces movie maker

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘(what) Very basic video editing software ?’ is closed to new replies.