Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Vertigo/fear of heights?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Anyone suffer from this.

Missus has a friend who is balking at the idea of having to sit in the top tier at Eastlands, . . .

not ideal when the concert is tonight and she only told her this morning, . . grrr!

Does she have a case, or is she a nutter?

RobHilton
    Free Member

My GF would have a similar problem – although she would have mentioned it sooner.

She was in floods of tears high up at the Bernabéu stadium (pre me) and had to leave, much to the annoyance of her then boyf.

FWIW GF is only semi-nutter 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Bernabeu is steep, Eastlands looks rather shallow in comparison?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Vertigo and fear of heights are two different things.

Ultimately no-one will understand your irrational fear of heights but if it happens to you it’s all encompassing. If she doesn’t want to go she doesn’t have to?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s my missus birthday gift, she’s booked two days off work, had the hassle of finding cheap hotel, is driving, . . . and above all else, is not to be messed with. She’s told her mate “WE’RE GOING”! 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah I do, though I think technically Vertigo is the fear of falling, and the fear of heights is someting else.
    So I’m okay rock climbing knowing I’m tied on, bungee etc, but I can get severe wobbles on exposed singletrack. Even the very wide path on Mam Tor causes problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pedantry for the day:

Vertigo = dizziness. Fear of heights is not vergito, but fear of heights can induce vertigo.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my nan suffers vertigo. she barely leaves the sofa all day. not related to heights.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Good pedantry 🙂

wwaswas

I don’t what I experience but lookign at this photo makes me want to hold the edge of my desk to stop myself falling;

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm, sounds like you problem is related to your GF not letting you know she has a fear of heights in the first instance, specially as you know the height of the stadium..

I’ve a fear of heights, I’ve cried like a baby on the 1st platform of the Eiffel Tower, been shaken at the top of the 17th floor at a friends Canary Wharf Appt, almost been sick to the point of blackout at trying hangliding (I know, I know, but I had to give it a go Non?)
    but I’m open to let anyone know about it now. I’ve tried several methods to cure it but now, now I can’t be bothered and my lifes fine and dandy as it is thanks.

Get her to look at the horizon line all the way through..

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s not my missus, it’s her mate, . . . me at Take That, . . . . pleeeease! 🙂

z1ppy

I suffer from a fear of heights, normally pretty good with it, but freaked out last year on conway castle walls, no idea why and couldn’t go up the castle towers.
    Was not a happy bunny, but would say on stuff like seat tier’s, you don’t really have a frame of reference to the floor (unless you can climb/see over the back), so it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have no problem with heights if I know I’m clipped in and safe. I could do that in the picture above. I get (or got) very scared when lead climbing because really, it’s not that safe! It all depends on the quality of gear placements, and even if they hold you might fall a fair way.

I got a bit paralysed climbing one route on the Gower (a VS with a tricky start turning into a long laid back crack and an easy open finish) because all my gear had fallen out resulting in a dead fall risk. I stood for ages, half an hour maybe trying to get gear in where I was, in the end I thought bugger it and climbed on for a very easy 15ft or so to a huge spike around which I chucked a sling, then finished on that. Worrying about gear spoils the whole thing. I’d rather top-rope.

Caher

The more i read about it the less certain i know what the proper term is – I get wobbly legs if i am at above a certain height.
    I know it mainly caused by being more exposed and it tends to be more severe at certain times than others. Living in Switzerland there are lots of places here which can make bring it on. I have tried aversion therapy by hiking up mountains but if i get to a narrow point or a drop i have to turn all the way back. Which is a real pain as i hate coming all the way down when i nice gondola will do.
    The odd thing is i wacked my head when a teenager and since then it started – before then i was not affected at all. Weird lobotomy

donsimon
    Free Member

I had a problem in the upper seats in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium, I guess the zone is called the vomitorio for a reason.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Vertigo/fear of heights?’ is closed to new replies.