Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • vertigo 29er all mountain hardtail
  • dRjOn

sack up fool….

yup. certainly a sweet bike. needs a certain habitat to bring out the best. loves to corner, drop slice and dice….

steep and roots good…

the tapered steerer hidden in that headtube makes for precision steering…

http://www.canecreek.com/news?article=57

just enough gears to keep everything ticking along…

shifting is so solid…

plenty of space to let debris through…and graceful curves…

keeping it stiff out back…

id call that a result…

ton

very very nice……
    needs some reet proper handlebars tho…. 😉

acjim
    Free Member

it was all going well until that last pic 😉

psychle
    Free Member

dear lord… you call that a beard?? 😯

nice bike though 🙂

doof_doof
    Free Member

I'm not a 29er fan by any stretch of the imagination, but that is very, very nice. Is that a 150mm rear hub? I'm running 7 cogs on a Pro2 SS hub and am loving the extra stiffness of the dishless rear wheel.

mick_r

Been wathcing the frame build for a while – wondered when we would finally get some finished pics!

Clink

I wish you would stop showing pictures of thet bike….envy is a terrible thing!! :mrgreen:

pedalhead
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. Good choice on the M810 Saint stuff…it's gradually finding it's way onto my "lighter" bikes.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Nice – I followed the buildup on MTBR, so which do you prefer, this one or your Jones?

Yep – since my cranks died – I'm looking at the saint chainset as well, thinking of 165mm too, and I already have the short cage saint rear mech.

M6TTF
    Free Member

gorgeous looking bike

dRjOn

ya: 150mm rear end, with 6 speeds….

preference: they are similar but different….this is a sort of heavier duty/similar idea bike…knowwhatimean?

getting its racing christening at Ae enduro this weekend….

sheldona
    Free Member

You have an impeccable taste in bicycles 🙂

speaker2animals

Never heard of them but looking ace. I like the use of the saint kit and as I can make do with SS I have in the past thought about fewer gears. What changers are you using? 8/9 speed and just using the mech end stops to prevent further shifts?

Chainline
    Free Member

That is a very nice bike 😀
    My spaceframe has a full saint gruppo, I love it, very stiff, not a Jones standard thats for sure, mahoosive discs and the 135mm FAT Larry front make it ace in my book although I had so much grip on the front at the Dyfi at the weekend I endo'd over the front on a really steep muddy section whcih is quite an achievement on a Jones, I just wasn't ready for the front to bite so hard! I did it again later but learned to release 😀
    The Larry has transformed the FAT front steering for anyone contemplating the change from an Endomorph
    I keep nudging at Cliff at Royce to make me a SS rear hub with a freehub, I don't like the sound of CK or DT and I love the build of the Royce stuff.
    6 spd does feel like a nice number, I ran a 6spd CK on the Jones that got nicked.

How do you find the Saint brakes? 100g an end heavier than a mono mini pro or marta sl but sooo much power and feel make the weight worth it for me.

markenduro
    Free Member

Nice bike but is that a troll in the last pic?

Sam

All that esoteric niceness and a Specialized concept store water bottle – WTF? 😉

You know I like it Jon, look forward to a spin!

dRjOn

saint shifter. different limit screws and a mod back plate…racing in Ae this weekend….steep learning curve fo'sho….

sam: :-)~

chewkw
    Free Member

Very nice apart from the seat tube … why?

🙄

singlespeedstu

apart from the seat tube … why?

I'd hazard a guess that if it didn't have a seat tube the frame might be a bit flexy.

brant
    Free Member

I wondered if he meant seatpost? Not seat tube. As some people have an aversion to layback thomsons – though they tend to not see through the fact that so long as the dots join up right, sometimes a steep lower seat tube, and a slacker top bit can help in some areas, like tyre clearance and vertical compliance in the saddle. Still.

I think it's bloody lovely. That 44mm ID cup looks great in a Ti frame – I still think it's a bit big in steel, but it's a standard and it's out there and that's great.

And 150 back ends with 83mm BB's – that's ace too – A powerful move away from the roadie inspired 68/73/130/135 standard. The only thing is that some people will probably moan about increase Q-factor and that 'riding a horse' feel – I've only ridden 83mm cranks on bikes I stand up on most of the time – is it a problem putting miles sat down on those Jon?

dRjOn

'zactly. seat tube straight/no bosses to allow lots of seat drop.welded forward to allow 16.5" stays on the 29er and the saddle ends up exactly where needed….

it rips. rode yesterday at the ae enduro…worked well. the 83bb i didnt/dont notie so much…theres a very brief initial feelign that its wider, but then its gone. You could also relieve the cranks a few mm as your feet width allows if really needed….and using xc ish pedals that dont need the full, whatever, 12mm of thread….

anyway. longest ride so far is just 3 hours, so havent really got a feel for distance/bb width, but id say i doubt ill feel its any issue….

rOcKeTdOg

with a frame that small surely a 26" bike would be better?

and a longer top tube, how far is that saddle over the back wheel?

singlespeedstu

and a longer top tube, how far is that saddle over the back wheel?

Looks to me like dRjon has tried to combine some of the ride characteristics of the Jones with something a bit more "gnarlcorelight". 😉

bedmaker

Looks superb. I've finally just started a very similar project but in steel. Good to see others are thinking the same way.
    Chopped my first two tubes on saturday. Then I scratched my head for a bit and drank some beer.
    Got my tubes and 83mm royce BB back at Christmas but have been forbidden to start on it till now.

dRjOn

rocket dog: id be curious for you to define frame that small? im 5'11" saddle height runs at 745mm.

do you mean the slope on the top tube?

the set back is important … imagine in your mins eye 30mm or so of sag. whole bike rotates around the back axle…. —> not so much set back….magic eh?

;-)~

brant
    Free Member

the set back is important … imagine in your mins eye 30mm or so of sag. whole bike rotates around the back axle…. —> not so much set back….magic eh?

aye, and also, it being a 29er you can sort of "get away" with a slacker seat angle position as the rear stays are longer. Indeed, for some riding it's preferable to do so, so long as it doesn't take out too much front centre length so you bang your toes on the front wheel.

dRjOn

proper mountain bike ride today….bb width, no issues. didnt even notice. sweet…

as good at tech and trail centre as this bike is, its true home is out in the hills…rugged back country and isolated (at least as isolated as you get in scotland….)

loved the steep and loose….

bikes are good. riding bikes is best…

a strangely USA beer haul for afters … ;-)~

miketually
    Free Member

Nice bike; makes total sense when you see the photo of you riding it.

terrahawk
    Free Member

cool

Sanny
    Free Member

Liking the look of that and the first few pics from Mugdock. Well done for getting Bill Bailey to pose for the last picture! I am in a whole Ti cross conundrum at the moment. I rode the Fife Coastal path on my crosser yesterday – a long but terrific day out – and got to thinking I fancy a Ti crosser with rack mounts, cowled dropouts and a sloping top tube for extra nut clearance. Has anyone got any recommendations?
    Cheers
    Sanny

sillyoldman

Pegasus with skinny tyres?

Must hook up for a ride soon……

Cheers,

Dave.

Sven

I am surprised to hear that you can get 29er bikes with chainstays as short as 16.5" (419mm), but it's good to know. Most 'normal' bikes have around 425mm, the 29er on-one fleet has 444mm (anyone know whether this is with the wheel fully in or halfway through the dropouts), and the longer chainstays have always been something that would put me off 29er's as surely it makes it harder to get them around tight bends, but your geometry should take care of that. Very nice bike anyway.
    Sven

martinh
    Free Member

Off the shelf short chainstays:

Banshee Paradox – 16.8
    Canfield Nimble 9 – 16.25-16.9

But neither have a 150 rear hub or 83mm BB

fontmoss
    Free Member

given the long line of rigid ssers, how goes it with gears and a sus fork?

mick_r

Hey bedmaker – it must be the time of year for short chainstay 29er homebuilds!

Hows about 68 bb shell, 135 rear hub and 15.8” chainstays with plenty of mud clearance around a 2.4” tyre? Initial pictures here:-

http://loslobos06.blogspot.com/2010/05/project-skoglemen-part-1.html

The drawings show it with wheel in the 15.8” position. Should hopefully get some tubes from Ceeway this week.

Maybe Chipps would pay for a mag article following the build process 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘vertigo 29er all mountain hardtail’ is closed to new replies.