Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Vertically storing bikes – hooks that fit 2.5 tyres?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Moving house soon, and will be vertically storing the bikes – however I need hooks that’ll fit over big nobbly tyres. Can anyone recommend any? I’ve seen the x-tools ones in wiggle, but don’t think they’ll fit.

Northwind

These, from tesco, work for me:
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/storage-hooks-pair/205-4378.prd?skuId=205-4378

It’s not ideal tbh, the tyres fit but with big rims too it’s a squeeze. But they’re cheap and they work.

ads678
    vmgscot

I just open the hook up a bit to fit larger volume tyres.

kcr
    Free Member

Decathlon also do big hooks that will take an MTB tyre.

cookeaa

I just got the basic, cheap Plasticoated hooks from one of the DIY stores (Homebase/Wikes/B&Q, can’t remember which they’re all the same) Stuck up and extra batten about a foot out parallel to the Garage wall and screwed them straight in on ~300mm pitches.

This sort of thing:

Take a ruler along and measure them in the bag, it doesn’t have to be quite as wide as the tyre you can get away with ~50-60mm so long at the rim will sit in the hook profile, plus they can be bent out a bit if necessary.

I’ve got six bikes topping ‘n’ tailing on that arrangement (including a couple of MTB’s with 2.3-2.5″ Tyres), it definitely saves floor space, but if I had the option I’d increase the pitch between hooks now just to reduce the Bar/Saddle/Cranks tangling with each other when I try to retrieve a bike from the middle of the row…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of these, they take all my bike bar the fatty easily.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Bike-Bicycle-Steel-Wall-Mount-Hook-Rack-Mounted-Holder-Hanger-Stand-Storage-/331495140124?hash=item4d2ea66b1c:g:qlsAAOSwVm5Y9yqb

My only gripe with them is the hook folds flat, so I had to go round them all and add some tape to provide enough friction to keep the hooks out whilst I lifted the bike on.

The fatty has two 100mm plasticoated hooks from B&Q screwed in the wall about 3″ apart and angled together with the bottom of the ‘hook’ ductaped together.

stevomcd
    Free Member

The X-tools hooks will be fine. We’ve used them for storing bikes at the chalet for the past 4 years, don’t recall ever seeing a bike that wouldn’t fit (except for one dude who turned-up with a fatbike).

I’ve used plenty of 2.5″ tyres during that time (Minions & High-rollers mostly).

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks all … have looked through all the suggestions.

As mentioned about Decathlon, these look pretty good https://www.decathlon.co.uk/1-bike-wall-hook-id_3760125.html

JackHammer

I got big ones from IKEA. They’ll probably hold 2.5 inch tyres no dramas.

They’re silver with a red plastic bit onthe end, cant remember the name of them.

Tracey

We have the Decathlon ones above along the back wall of the garage. They will take a big tyre along with a deep carbon rim.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Those eBay ones that thisisnotaspoon linked are brilliant. I have loads – it’s like a bat cave. Mounted them on a bit of plywood and screwed them to the wall.

kcr
    Free Member

Standard red ones are OK for road wheels and will take an MTB with some bending, but the Decathlons are much beefier and have more generous access. I have them roof mounted, but they should work on the wall as well.

variflex
    Free Member

X-Tools ones should be fine. Im using them with 2.8s 🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I’d hijack this one sorry.

Has anyone vertically stored bikes, with the bike at right angle to the wall, in a pulley system? The only ones I’ve seen are where the bike hugs the wall.

We’ve just bought a house where only bike storage is in the kitchen utility room and OH wants me to use the high ceilings to store 4/5 bikes

I’m willing to make my own but could have issues with the back wheel which obviously needs to rest on the wall

Thanks

honourablegeorge

Aldi or Lidl have bike storage pulleys coming up soon

goss
    Free Member

we use these in the basement of the shop for customers with long term repairs and demo bikes.
    2,5″ and carbon wheels no problem, I’ even bought 4 myself
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dk/en/bbb-parking-hook-storage-hook-btl26/rp-prod60754

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve used Aldi/Lidl pulleys in a garage. They work, but I found them a bit fiddly and inconvenient when hanging and removing bikes.

mccraque

Thought I’d bump this! I’m looking to store bikes vertically. I saw some S hooks yesterday at a bike place. They just hang on a rail, and the “s” is bent through 90 degrees in the middle.

google throws up nothing! Any ideas what these may be? Looked the easiest option and you can just slide them along depending on the spacing required.

edit- I did ask at the time and the mechanic wasn’t sure where they had got them.

scotroutes

Butchers hooks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Vertically storing bikes – hooks that fit 2.5 tyres?’ is closed to new replies.