Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vertical play/clunk in forks – bushings?
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

This is on the hard tail. Forks are old and battered basic Solo Air Recons I migrated off another bike. They’ve kind of had their day, but just wondering what causes this.

Basically there is an initial ‘clunk’ on the forks as they compress down, as in a slight bit of pressure on the bars and they have a definite drop before they get into the cushion of the suspension. Lift the wheel off the ground and likewise they drop down. About an inch.

I’ve checked for lateral play using the methods Rockshox state in the service manual for checking bushing wear, and I can’t find any. Just that initial up/down clunkiness.

I gave them a damper/air/lowers service the other week (they were like this before service). They compress down relatively plush for Recons after the service but still this clunk feel though. It’s possibly what gives me a wobble on braking (not the headset, that’s been checked and service and is nice and smooth, no play in it).

Not that bothered really as the forks are getting a fancy upgrade. Plus I have the bouncy bike which has very plush forks if I want some comfort 🙂

Just wondering if a vertical play is still bushings gone? Basically these are consigned to the bin when I replace them?

Northwind

It doesn’t sound like bushings. Something wrong with the air spring probably but what it is, I don’t know. An inch is a lot!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

An inch is too much. Solo air forks had a tiny bit of play vertically – it allows the pressure past the plunger and equalises the 2 air chambers IIRC.

LoCo?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LoCo
    Free Member

Somethings loose/has come adrift in the air spring system would be my guess.

DrP

This is known to happen in u-turn forks (it does on mine – u-turn team rev) but it’s only about 1mm.

DrP

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

LoCo is p’rolly right – but what’s the air pressure?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Pressure is right for the sag. I forget what. Something like 70psi for my weight (10st 10ish, depending how much I’ve pigged out).

The air spring parts I kind of left alone other than clean up though they didn’t look in amazing condition. All seemed very basic and plasticy, but these are low spec Recon 327s (the oem ones without even any damper mechanism).

As I say, not fussed, just wondering if it’s the bin for them. But if I could just stick in a new air spring or fix the spring dead cheap then it’s at least of some use for someone or maybe if I get round to building a third bike (not sure what for though). Maybe I could upgrade the damper too and make it a bit more fancy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vertical play/clunk in forks – bushings?’ is closed to new replies.