• This topic has 47 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Vertical bike storage…
  • IA

…without drilling holes in anything (rented accom). I mean for storing bikes vertically, not one above another. To fit two bikes in a smallish space.

Considering some of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50399 but other suggestions etc welcome. Or even pics of your setup. Screwing stuff in may be acceptable as I could maybe build some sort of frame to take it.

Inspire me!

theflatboy
    Free Member

why won’t you do one above the other? as those types will rest against a wall i think.

weeksy

How do you open the door from the other side ?

tracknicko
    Free Member

Anonymous from United Kingdom Owner 09 March 2011 15:32

It’s good but, I’ve installed this and my door no longer opens. Unless I’m taking my bike with me I have to go in and out via the window.

wombat

I presume there’s a clever automatic hatch that opens in the wall to accommodate the bike when the door opens…….

theflatboy
    Free Member

this is the stand i was thinking of:

weeksy

not keen on the wheels/tyres.

IA

“why won’t you do one above the other?”

needs more width/length, if that makes sense? Need to fit a fairly narrow space.

How do you open the door from the other side ?

Would be on the door to a cupboard full of all that stuff that you need to stash somewhere but don’t need regularly.

tonyplym
    Free Member

You could make something up like the thing shown in theflatboy’s post using a few cut lengths of galvanized scaffold tube and some tubeclamps – would be much more robust and you could custom make it to fit your particular bikes and the space you’ve got available.

IA

Ahh, tubeclamps, was wondering what they were called, cheers for the heads-up. I can feel some big-boy’s mecanno action coming on 🙂

Kcal, cheers for the link, but I want to store the bikes on their end, I think, if that makes sense?

stolmen bike rack

Seems a good option for the 2 up horizontal rack, but requires bolting in. Though I reckon could be bolted into some plates of ply or whatever instead.

spooky_b329

See the road bike and hardtail on the left? They are hanging off an Element Systems Upright and Bracket from Screwfix, with some pipe insulation over the bracket and a zip tie to hold the bracket into the upright when you lift the bike off.

B&Q are slightly more expensive but they sell longer brackets which means you would get two bikes and the front wheels hung, or three bikes and the wheels stacked underneath.

IMG_0368 by Ollie and Sally, on Flickr

(Obviously some drilling is required, but to be honest any stand worth having will need this, also the bikes will scuff the wall up anyway unless you are really careful.)

Flashy
    Free Member

I’ve got one thats like an acroprop, so adjusts to reach the ceiling. It holds 2 bikes and is for sale £15 collected from Bristol……

IA

Ah interesting, basically shelf brackets and some cunning hanging action, right?

I guess Ideally I’d not take wheels off, but it does let you get the bikes flatter as your pic illustrates. Though the vertical wheels-on approach like hooking over the door would provide means only rubber bits touch the wall/door. Less likely to pull chunks out.

Wondering about a kinda tall thin A-frame (think like a swing.) and hang the bikes from hooks, though they may move too much.

Collected from Bristol you say? Tis where I’m moving to, hmmm. Does it need bolting in, or secure without it? What height range does it do? I’d need to wait till I actually move in september to measure up etc properly to see if it’d do. Just gathering options/brainstorming for now.

takisawa2

You could just ask the landlord if you could put in two wheel hooks from Halfords for £3.95 each, on the agreement that you then make good when you move on.

dan77
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28862

It doesn’t need any fixings, but is still nice an solid, admittedly it’s a bit pricey but as it is over my bed I wanted a good quality one as I didn’t want to be rudely awoken by a bike to the face, here’s some pics to give you an idea of the space it takes it up

Hope this helps

IA

Cheers guys, pics of the real-life setups much appreciated as the marketing pics generally are guff!

Duane…
    Free Member

Made one of these up from Ikea parts, some aluminium bar, and a bit of wood.

Could be modified to hang bike vertically.

Wide top piece, with innertubes stapled to top side, and big spikes on bottom piece going into carpet means it doesn’t need to be bolted either end.

IA

Ah cool, yeah was thinking of that sorta setup if I end up going with horizontal bikes, though I’m not sure that’ll fit so well in the space I have. Good to see it works though. You find it plenty stable?

Hence looking for this sort of option:

Except somehow I need to a) not drill stuff b) get the bikes closer together and c) be easy to load/unload them (for the gf).

I shall also be mounting the moon on a stick 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

i would have thought you’d struggle to mount them like that without drilling or some sort of fixing at the wall, due to the centre of gravity of the whole set up. you’d need a massive foot coming right out under the bikes to stop it wanting to topple over.

flowerpower
    Free Member

You can easily get them closer together by topping and tailing them. We have a similar set up in a shed and can get 5 road bikes (or 4 mountain bikes) in a 6′ length. I can get the bikes out ok (as a girl!), but it depends on the weight of the bike.

mogrim

Go horizontal if you can, makes the bikes a lot easier to move, and the rear wheel won’t scuff the wall/door. I had the vertical hanging hooks in my garage, and they were a pain.

Also not sure how good it is for brakes if you store bikes non-horizontally.

tonyd

I’m in rented and the landlord has no problems with me drilling holes for things, so long as I ask and promise to fill them before I leave.

That vertical option up there – can you just alternate and hang every other bike upside down? That way you can get them closer together.

If they’re going indoors rather than the garage, go to your local carpet shop and buy a couple of samples to protect the wall. I got some 2′ square for about 2 quid each.

If you’re hanging MTBs then my preference would be horizontal so fluids don’t go to the wrong places (fork for example). No idea if that’s just me being a bit odd.

IA

Don’t think fluids are a huge problem, though ideally would be front wheel up for the brakes. Have stored bikes upside down in the past and even that’s only a problem if you leave them there months.

I hear you all about asking to drill etc. but that’s always very landlord dependent, as I say, just looking for options just now.

I wonder about something like a pole like the above pics, but instead of horizontal, have a hook to go under the fork crown, so the bike just about hangs from the crown with the back wheel on the floor, if that makes sense?

I remember putting my bike on a chairlift which hung like that once, but not sure if it’d work for a static rack so well. Can’t quite visualise it.

IA

Ahah, I’m liking what I see here:

http://mikelevy.pinkbike.com/blog/Arbutus-Racks-Interbike-2011.html

(i know, it’s for a car, but I like their freestanding trolly thing and the general idea)

http://arbutusracks.com/

IA

Hmm, or like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-Stand/step6/Bicycles-can-be-hung-cross-ways-vertically-or-wha/

but using one of those ikea stolmen bars, a hook for top wheel and then a plate of wood or something for the rear wheel. Hmmmmm.

mogrim

c) be easy to load/unload them (for the gf).

Bikes are considerably easier to handle horizontally, at least once they’re off the ground, particularly if there’s not much space.

IA

Bikes are considerably easier to handle horizontally, at least once they’re off the ground, particularly if there’s not much space.

Yes, but the exception here is where you can (ideally) just wheel a bike in, pop it up onto its back wheel, then hook it in place somehow.

Another idea I’m thinking of is having a board on the floor with two batons about a wheel width apart, so you pop it on the back wheel, wheel into the gap, and they stop it rolling about (and the front wheel is hooked somehow). This has the bonus of collecting any crap falling off the bike if it’s wet/dirty.

jono84
    Free Member

Could You fasten one of them hooks that hold the bikes by a wheel vertically to some form of free standing support?

theflatboy
    Free Member

IA – Member

This has the bonus of collecting any crap falling off the bike if it’s wet/dirty.

unless it falls anywhere outside the wheel-width batons…

rickmeister

Got the same as bigrich.. from lidl / aldi at about £35 ish.. leans agains t a wall, really sturdy. Plus a cable wil pass through teh upright so you can lock stuff up..

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Go to Halfords and get the cheap wheel hooks. i have 3 in my garage and they are great and cheap, got them for buy 2 get 1 free!!

Clearly you will have to drill a couple of holes but its nothing tht cant be fixed when you leve with some filler and touch up paint, its the cheapest option

Homebase have loads of wall fixings.

spooky_b329

I had that ‘Gravity’ stand from Lidl. Its in the loft now…even with the main post 3 inches from the wall (resting against a rad at the bottom and a spacer at the top) my handlebars still touched the wall as the arms aren’t long enough.

Also, although it appeared stable without the big screw and rawl plug it comes with, I had to fit it as it tended to lean drunkenly to the right as the post is in three sections and the fit is quite loose.

Storing the bikes with the back wheel on the floor and the front wheel in a wall hook takes up a surprising amount of space, the handlebars stick into the room. If you are pushed for space you haven’t really got a choice, you either loosen the stem and rotate the bars or remove the front wheel.

Another possible option is to get a big old sturdy wardrobe off the free-ads, pine or other solid wood. Stick it in the room and you mount your shelving brackets/hooks to the inside top or back of the wardrobe, remove front wheel and hang bike/s in the wardrobe, riding gear and other crap will go on shelves, then you shut the doors and forget about it. There was a photo doing the rounds on Facebook a while back with a wardrobe like this.

IA

remove the front wheel.

Hmm, makes me think. good option might be front wheel off, and hang bikes by a fork leg flat against the wall/whatever stand. Need something to protect against pedals, but that’s it.

spooky_b329

good option might be front wheel off, and hang bikes by a fork leg flat against the wall/whatever stand.

I tried this, but found it was much more secure to hang by passing the frame over the bracket so the bike was hanging off the head tube.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Also not sure how good it is for brakes if you store bikes non-horizontally

Ian at AQR stores a lot of his fleet vertically. Rubber bands to pull in the brake levers stops any problems with air.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Vertical bike storage…’ is closed to new replies.