Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ventoux six weeks after chemotherapy. Discuss.
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Morning all,

I’m well aware that I owe the forum an update, and promise I shall do so in the next few days or so. Rough breakdown; 6months/8 sessions of chemo, bit rough, not particularly fit, interesting neuropathy in hands and feet. Off to Provence in a couple of weeks, and thought I’d have a pop at Ventoux whilst in the area, as it looks a bit like Box Hill. Except slightly bigger.

I’m not a total idiot – I suspect it’ll take me a fair amount of time, plus the tumours in my arm/arse won’t help, but wanted to call upon the wisdom of the STW elite about the following;

Time of day? Fuel? Spares? Route? Is it nippy on the way back down? Any mods to the bike prior to setting off?

Thanks my lovelies!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have no useful experience of riding up Ventoux post chemo to share, but good luck!

DezB
    Free Member

By christ, what a legend 😆 good luck with that!

oldnpastit

Great to see you back!

It is an epic ride but if you are happy to take your time and spin up in a low gear you should be fine. My son did it age 15 and he wasn’t very fit at all. Take plenty of water and cake.

If you go from Bedouin then there is the cafe about 2/3 of the way up.

beej

I read somewhere recently that “Ventoux is the never the same climb twice”. It can be hot, cold, windy, dry, rainy – maybe all in one ride. So it’s tricky to give advice on time of day or weather.

Have low gears. Choose the time based on the conditions. Have clothing for all possible circumstances.

There are three ways up – the easiest is the longest from Sault but less iconic. Bedoin is the TdF classic, possibly the hardest. Malaucene is similar to Bedoin, more exposed as you don’t ride through the forest. I found Malaucene easier but that’s probably because I did it first.

You’ll probably have more company on the Bedoin route – loads of people ride it, some of them quite slowly and casually. e-bikes are common too.

Have fun!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a sponsored STW effort…

I’d be happy to donate

psling
    Free Member

Only you will know if you’re up to on the day, what fuel you need, etc. but ‘Chapeau’! I assume you will have company on the ride to assist, carry windproof, tubes, etc,,

Any mods to the bike prior to setting off?

EBike conversion..?

bullheart
    Free Member

Thanks all!

No assists, lumping it all myself. I’d actually prefer the weather to be dire, because I’m fat. Didn’t even think about the gearing – what’d be the best rear cassette for a 9spd 105 set-up? Or should I go full-on MTB dinner plate….?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

As you are in the area hopefully you can choose a day when its not to hot and windy. From the Bedoin side the forest is the hard part as its just straight unrelenting gradient. Once you get to the big hairpin bend at Chateux Reynard you’ll know you can make it as the gradient eases off and you can see the tower. I’d suggest a road bike with a triple or a mountain bike so you have some nice low gears. Take plenty of water and a gell or two and take a gilet for the descent. Good luck.

onandon
    Free Member

Bullheart. When will you be doing this?

I’m in Geneva and planning to do Ventoux sometime in the next couple of months.

If the dates line up maybe I can support the effort.

TheGingerOne

I have ridden up it twice and both times it has been 1 1/2 hours on the smallest gear I have got, grinding away. Plus, there is no I’ll get round the bend and have a rest when it flattens out a bit. It doesn’t, it is relentless (up from Bedoin)

It is not an easy thing to do.

Just get the biggest ratio on the back of the bike you can – 32 and maybe a smaller front ring. Fuel wise, it is just a upto 2 hour hard ride. You don’t need to fuel differently in my opinion, just have a big breakfast.

I have done it both times (May and September) and it was toasty, like 30 degrees. Up top it can be windy, very windy, so do take a windproof jacket. I left mine on for the descent and was way too hot not long after setting off.

For me, the best way is to climb from Bedoin and descend to Malaucene.

Long video of my descent is here:

https://youtu.be/qh0FUA0TcrA

BigJohn

You’re worth every penny, Bullheart.

Sometimes I wonder why I can’t wring every last drop out of life, but usually I’m glad I don’t have to.

bullheart
    Free Member

I had a conversation with a guy from STW once upon a time – the one armed cyclist named J Materna – who became one of my close friends until he died of the same cancer I have. I was talking to him about some of the concerns about the JOGLE ride in 2010, and that I felt the route we’d picked had some nasty ups on it. It went a bit like this;

me: “it’s four weeks out of treatment fella. I look at those South West bits and I’m just not sure I can do it, they’re **** scary”

j: “maybe. But what if those hills are looking on as you approach them and are saying to each other ‘**** me, that’s that Bullheart fella, the one with the terminal rare cancer thing. I’ve heard he just doesn’t back down, regardless of what the other hills have put in front of him. He’s just too dumb to give in…”

me: “wow, do you think so? That’d be cool, yeah. Hang on, too dumb…!!?”

Got to give it a go, eh? Wouldn’t want to get to 95 and have regrets…

psling
    Free Member

I’ve met a few of those hills. Mountains too. There isn’t one that didn’t turn out to be a pussycat really, you get to the top of them eventually, even if it does take a little longer sometimes.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

wow, well done you for even considering it this soon after chemo.

I rode the cingles in June, the traditional pattern i.e. Bedoin first then Malaucene and finally Sault ascents. I don’t think you are planning on doing all three so it depends what you want.

Depending on how you feel, the Sault ascent may be ‘easiest’ (a 25km ascent to 1,900 metres altitude can never be classed as ‘easy’). It’s still a very lovely climb and still 25km long plus you get the classic lunar landscape at the top from Chalet Reynard (the cafe). The Bedoin and Sault ascents share the same final section from this point.

The Bedoin ascent is the classic TDF ascent through the trees. it can get very hot in here depending on time of day.

The Malaucene is the hardest ascent. 3 km at 11% gradient almost did for me on this climb.

Re timings, we set off from Bedoin at 7-30 am and were at the top by 9-30 a.m. Temps were lovely, circa 20 degrees and fresh.

Down to Malaucene and a quick croissant and coffee and back up again, cresting about midday. There was a large cloud overhead which kept it cool for the final tough bit.

Down to Sault and back and a typical Provence afternoon crossing the lavender fields at about 2 pm with temps well over 30 degrees.

The only benefit in climbing is that it gets cooler every 100 metres.

At no stage during the day was I ever cold but i wore a lighweight gilet and arm-warmers for each descent. They are at least half an hour long for each descent and after sweating so much on the way up it’s easy to get a chill on the way back down especially when you are averaging 50 km/h on the descents (25km descent takes circa half an hour = 50 km/h av speed).

Contact https://www.pinkbike.com/video/488976/

Video if you are interested.

If you are in the area or an extended period I also have another route from Bedoin for a different days riding. We did it as a warm down the day after. It was only 60km but it takes you up to 1,000 metres altitude and then down through the beautiful Gorges de la Nesque (Google it). https://www.pinkbike.com/video/488995/

Post here if you want me to share the route.

Oh, BTW, I’m no racing snake. I’m 53 and 16 of us did it for a mate’s 50th birthday celebration.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s a big tough climb that’s for sure. Bloody hot at the bottom and turning pretty bleak and windy at the top is my memory of it. I’ve done it twice, both times many years ago. I think first time we had a full camping load on the tandem but the other was definitely an unloaded day ride from Sault, and that was still hard work.

My sister (my closest contact with cancer) certainly wouldn’t have been doing it 6 weeks after her chemo but I’m sure that varies by person and drugs. Good luck!

martinhutch

I wouldn’t have been able, but then you’re not really working to the same criteria.

DezB
    Free Member

Great post psling 😊

MrOvershoot

This is exactly why you were worth the donation, if ever the phrase “never gives up” is used, its you I think of 🙂

I can offer no advice as its over 30 years since I rode an alpine like climb (1985 on the Col de la Colombière if you really want to know)

epicyclo

If you don’t try, you spend the rest of your life regretting it.

If you do try, and don’t make it, then at least you have had a go, and it’s not a fail, merely the first attempt.

Good luck.

bullheart
    Free Member

I won’t fail, I don’t think. I may well take some time though. Mountain bike is out, as I don’t have any with gears! Running a compact on my ‘Dale, so will probably switch to an Alivio 9spd cassette on the back to help as best as possible. Staying in Lorgues, so about three and a half hours away by car – I think I’ll get there for midnight, kip in the car, and get on the bike for 5:30am in order to finish before it gets really hot.

on and on – lovely offer, but we’re there from 10/8 to 25/8 so probably little time for you to plan. Besides, I wouldn’t want to punish you with my ‘snails pace’ tekkers….. !

leffeboy

So

Awesome

🙂

It’s a long way, take your time.  If you can then consider renting a bike for the day. I did it on my mountainbike and my legs still remember the pain

Esme
    Free Member

“Wouldn’t want to get to 95 and have regrets…”

I wouldn’t be surprised if you were still riding up mountains at the age of 95 . . .

jkomo

Our lot did the three ways in 24hrs a couple of weeks ago, it’s not that bad, just a couple hours grind each, not like the hills we have here, not really steep. There are plenty of places to stop on the bends.

Gearing is important though, I’d want at least a 28, preferably a 32 on a compact.

Bedoin is a nice climb, it’s like a mountain bike climb, twisty and in the trees till the Chalet. Just take your time.

Malaucene is a horror show- don’t do it, we all nearly gave up and we had a water and food van. The descent to it is epic.

We started at 5.30 and two bottles with normal snacks was fine, but nothing was open at the top obvs.

You could do the Gorges de la Nesque on the way down if you are early, you go off to Sault from Chalet Reynard, or do the next day, it’s a great route.

Email if you want any details

bullheart
    Free Member

Hello all,

I did it this morning. I won’t be doing it again…

Currently in the bath, negotiating with my bowels about potentially not making a scene at dinner tonight. There are photos on my FB page if someone who knows how the new forum works wants to put them up…

BH x

footflaps

Well done!

martinhutch

Shut Up, Bowels!

Awesome stuff.

iainc

iainc

johndoh
    Free Member

**** me Bullheart, you continue to impress me.

hooli

You sir, are a **** legend! I take my hat off to you

BigJohn

Chapeau!  Looks like you need one, too.

weeksy

It’s likely a bloody stupid idea. But massive respect for trying it mate. Give it he’ll!

weeksy

Oh, missed the update, fantastic!

ourmaninthenorth

Suddenly felt the urge to check STW after not visiting the forum for ages and this is the first thread I opened..!

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

I rode it and the end of the 2009 Etape and it very nearly finished me off, so not long after chemo is amazing. But we expect nothing less of Bullheart.

Did I say it’s brilliant?

Hats off..!

onandon
    Free Member

Good work fella. I’m Really pleased for you.

what route did you take?

bullheart
    Free Member

Honestly? Sault; I’ve had so much pain on this holiday that I wanted to make sure I was in a fit state to drive home on Friday, so went with the ‘easiest’ route.

milky1980
    Free Member

I come home from work after a long, tough day and read this.  Suddenly everything is great!

Easiest route or not it’s one hell of an achievement, the smiles in the picture say everything.

Sandwich

Well done that man! Onwards and upwards.

oldnpastit

Nice!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Ventoux six weeks after chemotherapy. Discuss.’ is closed to new replies.