Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • vented or unvented – van disks
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

i know the real answer is ill have to wait and check but im very far from my van and book of lies right now.

looking on carparts4less at pagid disks for my peugeot partner 1.9D – current ones are warped after summer in the alps.

Im fairly sure they are solids on atm (factory fits) – but my van throws up two replacement part numbers for the disks – one is vented and one is solid – vented is a 10er cheaper

is it as simple and throwing on a pair of vented disks (which are 22mm thick as oppose to 13mm thick) and adjusting the calpers/pistons accordingly or was it a factory fit upgrade on the brakes/calipers ? – in which case ill just pay my 10 pounds and get solids 😉

parkesie
    Free Member

If your van has solid discs id imagine to replace with vented discs youd need the new callipers and pads to match.

trail_rat
    Free Member

id imagine the same

lets face it they probably just warped because of age/wear- they have done 77k miles.

just thought it strange that my reg throws up both types as a replacement. – i need new pads as well anyway – but i aint going to the expense of calipers for the once a year excursion to big hills and high temperatures…..

Offroading
    Free Member

Thicker disc will require a new caliper carrier and caliper at least.

You may even need to change the hub because the offset might be different between the two.

Typically solid discs are found on either A: Small light weight things or B: cars/small van without ABS.

If you don’t have ABS id say you will have solid discs.

Pagid make good discs, cheaper ones warp.

footflaps

You can run vented / solid / drilled on the same pads etc. I’m guessing the two parts are for the different cars / vans sold with the same brake set up eg sporty hatchback variant has vented disks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Are they not showing the part numbers for front and rear? I’d imagine that the fronts will be vented as not many cars of any size these days not running vented disks up front – even small cars run vented disks up front and solids on the rear.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rear is drums. – i can only do 81 mph max so unlikely they needed to be vented but a combo of wear and alpine hills warped em

Fair sure its solids ive got. Will check and get em in town when i get home theres a euro car parts there

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve replaced the brakes on a car where someone had fitted solid discs when it should have had vented.

Friend had driven over to London and said the brakes were making funny noises. Got him to send me a photo and the discs looked badly scored. When he got back I discovered the full extent of the problem and one of the pads had lost all it’s braking surface and another on the other side had lost half of it. Presumably because the pads were ending up at a funny angle. At least the piston didn’t pop out or that would have been very messy!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

they have done 77k miles.

well my van is at 187k on the original disks (unvented, 90s sprinter)…..if you doing long long descents ie the alps, that is where vented disks come in. they are warped because they got too hot, not from age/distance.
    what van is it?
    i know i can change to vented on the same callipers on my van, didnt bother as a tend to brake-cool-brake-cool kinda thing if im going down long hills fully laden

danw117
    Free Member

try some of the standard quality ones from GSF good price and should work realy well. I work for them have them all round on my own car and sell a boat load of them to local taxi firms with no complaints and they get a seriously hard life with some of these boys behind the wheel

andyl
    Free Member

sign up for a Peugeot servicebox account and you can put your vin number in to get a lot of specs on parts. Sometimes it still doesnt help but normally it does.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘vented or unvented – van disks’ is closed to new replies.