Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • VENT: eBay grief I brought on myself… grrrr!
  • Markie
    Free Member

In brief, the buyer said he was moving house and asked for me to send the item to an address other than his registered address. I did. It was signed for. By the person who lived in his new place before him. So the buyer didn’t get it. And says it’s my fault and I should refund him.

It hasn’t happened yet, but I know that I’m about to say hello to negative feedback. And lose the money for the item and the postage. Dammit.

And my wife left him positive feedback when she posted the item.

Grrr.

That is all.

Kryton57

In brief, the buyer said he was moving house and asked for me to send the item to an address other than his registered address. I did. It was signed for

Unless you sent it before you were supposed to, that’s his fault and he pays the bill.

jock-muttley

It’s theft pure and simple… your buyer should call the Police, he has no comeback on you.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s theft pure and simple… your buyer should call the Police, he has no comeback on you.

Clearly you don’t work for Paypal/EBay

They generally disagree, and they control the money.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, you were instructed by him to do that – what happened at his end is not your fault or problem.

aracer
    Free Member

Delink your paypal account from your bank account and/or close it.

Clearly you don’t work for Paypal/EBay

They generally disagree, and they control the money.

Not if you’ve already got the money and you do above they don’t – at which point it’s down to what the police say.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Did these communications go through Ebay? If so then any dispute will, i think, include review of those messages. You might be alright, I understand your worry, they do tend to side with the buyer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

This is good advice, do it now.

Markie
    Free Member

Unless you sent it before you were supposed to, that’s his fault and he pays the bill.

I had said I was going to post 2nd class to his old house on the 12th. He wouldn’t pay for first class postage and said to send it to his new address by 2nd class on the 12th. I did. It arrived at his new-to-be address on the 13th 🙁 when he wasn’t going to move in until the 15th (although I didn’t find that out until he began the complaints procedure – I just knew he had specifically asked for 2nd class on the 12th to the new address).

Even if I’m in the right, it’s still a neg. Rotten.

Thankfully the amount involved is sub £10, so I can avoid doing this – I quite like eBay 😕

Did these communications go through Ebay? If so then any dispute will, i think, include review of those messages. You might be alright, I understand your worry, they do tend to side with the buyer.

Yes they did, the one chink of light! But yeah, siding with the buyer is my understanding of how it tends to go!

bearnecessities

So the buyer didn’t get it.

Bet he did.

Kryton; is OP not sadly, but ultimately stuffed as sent to a (presumably) non-verified address?

aracer
    Free Member

…and cancel the paypal DD instruction with your bank. You can do that as well as the above to make sure, but I think it should be sufficient on its own.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like a scam to me. Buyer + third party in cahoots. Get the goods + their money back, win.

aracer
    Free Member

You should complain to RM and demand compensation for delivering too quickly.

jock-muttley

Signing for goods to which you are not entitled too is Fraud.

PURE and SIMPLE the laws of the UK take precedence here no matter what Ebay say (you will find that Ebay will back down from ANY stance they have taken when the Police are involved).

Oh and by the way you are OBLIGED by law to report a crime when you are aware of on having taken place. If your buyer won’t take any action then you have to otherwise you could be done for for something like obstruction. Get the Police called.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Unfortunately you’re about to become victim to the monster that is eBay and their ‘lets side with buyers’ policy. We recently sold a mouse and posted it, all fine ebayer received it then the morons csaid it was broken and didnt work, demanded a refund for postage and the item. We said we’d refund when we received it as we werent refunding for something that may never turn up. They agreed which ebay would of forced us to refund them first so thats ok, when it arrived it worked perfectly as soon as we plugged it in. We told him we’d refund the item but NOT postage as it wasn’t our fault he was moron. He disagreed and guess who ebay would of sided with. Not worth the agro to spend time fighting waiting for their decision. Something needs to be done about their judging process before it gets ridiculous.

Oh btw it didnt matter what feedback your wife left, because guess what. Ebay dont allow sellers to leave negative feedback!!!

taxi25
    Free Member

If its under a tenner just tell him to take a walk and do his worst. Even if he wins the dispute and you get neg feedback so what, it’s not the end of the world.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not if you’ve already got the money and you do above they don’t

They refund the money to the buyer anyway, and then your paypal account is “overdrawn”

They then start debt collection proceedings.

Granted for less than a tenner its not a problem, but I had it done to me for a far larger amount. And that’s what they do.

I ended up “winning” but it certainly wasn’t as simple as you make out. 😐

Markie
    Free Member

Kryton; is OP not sadly, but ultimately stuffed as sent to a (presumably) non-verified address?

It was foolish of me – I even thought so at the time – live and learn, I suppose!

You should complain to RM and demand compensation for delivering too quickly.

😀 To the ECHR!

Signing for goods to which you are not entitled too is Fraud.

Is this for me to take forward, or the buyer? I’ll tell the buyer to get on the case and see what happens. <self-pity>he’ll still neg me though</self-pity>

Oh btw it didnt matter what feedback your wife left, because guess what. Ebay dont allow sellers to leave negative feedback!!!

Well there’s a silver lining! Sorry for the way it turned out for you.

If its under a tenner just tell him to take a walk and do his worst. Even if he wins the dispute and you get neg feedback so what, it’s not the end of the world.

Amen. This minor bump aside, eBay has been great for this clear out… I was amazed when the Princess Anne at the Royal Albert Hall memorial programme went… Incredible!

aracer
    Free Member

it certainly wasn’t as simple as you make out.

I didn’t suggest it was simple – just that if you’ve delinked your bank account then you control the money, not them, and if they want to get the money from you they have to go through normal legal channels rather than making up their own rules.

aracer
    Free Member

Even if he wins the dispute and you get neg feedback so what, it’s not the end of the world.

+1 to that. When I got a negative feedback (mostly I think because it wasn’t as good as you’d expect for the price he paid – ie not brand new – rather than not matching the description – even had the cheek to mention that he’d bid rather a lot in the description) I just ignored it, and it didn’t seem to affect anybody else buying from me. You can also put a seller’s follow-up to any feedback, which is your opportunity to tell what actually happened (in my case I didn’t bother as didn’t think anything I said would look anything other than sour grapes on my part).

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

As Paypal is a bank it beats me why more people don’t complain about Paypal’s dodgy decisions. Tell them you wish for a final decision letter as you feel the deduction from your account was unfair and intend raising a complaint with the FOS.

It certainly used to be that in my bit of the financial services business, any FOS complaint involved a £500 charge, regardless of whether the complaint was upheld or not.

Also tell the buyer to report the signed for item as theft. To be honest, I suspect that they are working together. If you had proof the buyer hasn’t moved or the signee is still in residence, tell theyou will report them to the Royal Mail, who will certainly have a fraud team who are more effective than Plod.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Oh and by the way you are OBLIGED by law to report a crime when you are aware of on having taken place.

Um, no you aren’t.

You could always find the exact law and quote it to correct me, I like being corrected.

Markie
    Free Member

Tonight’s eBay disgruntlement? Someone bought a 7ml bottle of Chanel Parfum from me and is complaining that while the photo made the bottle look big, in real life it’s tiny. Yep, 7ml is not so much, actually. Still, at least it arrived!

I did try to make the bottle fill the photo so folk could see the seal was unbroken. Had no intention to mislead (7ml, it said 7ml!) but now wishing I’d thought to stick a pound coin next to it.

Now, how to sort a refund so I don’t get ripped off…

Cougar

“Someone else signed for my delivery and they won’t give it to me.”

“This is my problem how?”

nealglover
    Free Member

Tonight’s eBay disgruntlement? Someone bought a 7ml bottle of Chanel Parfum from me and is complaining that while the photo made the bottle look big, in real life it’s tiny. Yep, 7ml is not so much, actually. Still, at least it arrived!

Item perfectly as described surely.

Even ebay can’t be stupid enough to side with the buyer on that one 🙂

Markie
    Free Member

Even ebay can’t be stupid enough to side with the buyer on that one

Fingers crossed!

Still, I know how disappointing having your eBay expectations dashed can be, hence the refund work. That said, I’m also considering refunding the first guy (not his postage though), so perhaps I’m just tired and emotional!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh wow, you’d have to be really ‘special’ to to dispute that surely, rather than just think “awwww fudge, I’m a retard” – we’ve all done something like that late night on ebay at one time or another surely.

Sum
    Free Member

I did try to make the bottle fill the photo so folk could see the seal was unbroken. Had no intention to mislead (7ml, it said 7ml!) but now wishing I’d thought to stick a pound coin next to it.

The buyer would probably have then complained that they thought the pound coin was included with the item. You just can’t win with some people.

Markie
    Free Member

The buyer would probably have then complained that they thought the pound coin was included with the item.

😀

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

If you sent the item to a different address to the one the buyer has registered on Paypal then you are screwed, if the buyer raises a Paypal dispute then you will lose.

This exact thing happened to me, seller asked me to send it to his company address, someone signed for it and it disappeared. It was a 300 squid item. The buyer raised a case on Paypal, I put my case details forward, stating he requested it to be sent to a different address, I even sent the email the buyer had sent to me, but Paypal DO NOT take emails as evidence in a case resolution!!! RIDICULOUS I know.

I simply do not use Paypal or Ebay anymore, apart form the rip off selling fees and Paypal fees the cover is actually worthless.

Has he raised a Paypal dispute? If not, close your Paypal account and run. If he has raised a case, then obviously your account will be negative the sale amount. Its tough to get around that other than refusing to pay the negative balance. But Paypal do pass debt above a certain amount to Debt Collection agencies, either way its shit.

Only thing you could do, I know this has worked in the past, is raise a small claims court case against Paypal. Taking an email as evidence etc to a case like that would almost certainly obtain a resolution form Paypal, they would want cases like this being made public.

Good luck.

DickBarton

I’m not understanding the fear of negative feedback…personally, I’d tell him to report the issue to the Police as it wasn’t your fault the post arrived early and someone else signed for it, then get on with better things…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘VENT: eBay grief I brought on myself… grrrr!’ is closed to new replies.