Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Velux windows
  • Soup
    Free Member

Doing a loft conversion and need some Velux windows. Can anyone save me the pain of a lengthy web search and just tell me where I can get them cheap?

montylikesbeer

I tried to get some cheap last year and failed. Its a right tuck up with these things, trouble is they are very very good. Maybe ebay ?

spooky_b329

I nicked mine of my parents 🙂

Might not be cheap cheap but don’t wickes stock them? Or are they a copy?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They are hardly expensive in the first place. Just makesure you buy the correct ones for your needs (there are different types for different pitches etc).

spooky_b329

Worth considering the flashing kits that allow two windows to be mounted side by side (or even the kit for four windows, two wide by two deep)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BTW – don’t go for cheap alternatives (prone to leaks) or fancy pressed steel ones (prone to condensation and not up to being opened much – even though they are 3 or 4 times as expensive).

We looked into various alternatives and plumped for Velux for our extension purely because they have a great reputation and we know that our loft room hasn’t leaked in 6 years even though we are in a very exposed location and the windows are side on to the continuous wind/rain we get…

domino

Tip – don’t leave them open during heavy downpours. Things end up rather soggy 😯

bruneep

Tip – don’t leave them open during heavy downpours. Things end up rather soggy

Ahh! you need the velux rain sensor, closes the window at the sniff of rain.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Think I saw some in the screwfix catalogue?

matt_outandabout

Velux = virtual price fixing.

Our Fakro windows are great, just as good, slightly cheaper at the time, higher insulation value and had a proper handle at the bottom that you can reach, not some silly bar you need to leap up and grab.

greenbuildingforum people like them as well according to a recent thread.

wwaswas

“not some silly bar you need to leap up and grab”

shortarse 😉

matt_outandabout

6′ – but with windows at 7′ up… 🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

Velux = virtual price fixing.

how is it price fixing?

moog77
    Free Member

velux , the prices are usually around the same wherever i go, brilliant windows though , you cant go wrong.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well you CAN go wrong if you have some fitted to your new extension then your pregnant wife breaks down in tears when they don’t look as she thought they would, even though you already have some fittted elsewhere in the house so she knows exactly what they look like.

Or is that just me?

matt_outandabout

lol – no, not just you.

I have a wife who waited until all the new carpets were laid and curtains hung before deciding all the old pitch pine paneling we had paid to get stripped, were then oiled and carefully re-installed would look better with a coat of gloss on….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No! Not gloss! Our new extension is a homage to woodcutters the world over 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Velux windows’ is closed to new replies.