Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Velocity a23 or Open Pro?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

I’m planning another commuter wheel build.

Going to use 105 hubs DT comps but can’t decide between a23s or Open Pros.

I’m intrigued to try the wider footprint of the a23, however I’ve always hankered after a classic wheelset, such as an open pro build.

Any advice/experiences/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

rhbrhb
    Free Member

I run 105 hubs with open pro rims on one of my bikes, built ’em meself too. They’re a rock solid and smooth rim / hub combo. No experience of the A23’s, wouldn’t look elsewhere when replacing though as what I’ve got are fab.

titusrider
    Free Member

I’m running a23 and have been very impressed by the comfort and grip of something a touch wider.

Also pretty durable in my Strada build need at least 24/28 but sounds like you will be going more than that anyway 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

I have both – Open Pros on Goldtec hubs & A23s on Strada hubs & C-Xrays (20/24). tbh, the Strada build probably has a lot to do with it, but the A23s are much nicer – can run much lower pressures – 90/80psi no problem.

scotroutes

I run Open Pros on my cross/tourer and can’t fault them. From 23mm GP4000s to 35mm Maxxus Raze they handle it all without any issues.

barn
    Free Member

either are great.
    A23s for the tyre profile win.

grum
    Free Member

I went for Open Pros as they are meant to be easier to build with.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Rigida Chrina or Exal XR2, cheaper than an Open Pro, just as good. Some might even say better.

mrmo
    Free Member

Rigida Chrina or Exal XR2, cheaper than an Open Pro, just as good. Some might even say better.

and a chrina weighs 100grams more than an open pro! and the exal isn’t much lighter.

If your comparing to an open sport ok, but not to an oprn pro.

Just to throw another idea ambrosia excellight.

jet26
    Free Member

H plus sons archetype rims popular at moment too – also 23mm width

ds3000
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking of going 32h rear, 28h front. Brass nips.

As an aside, is there much functional difference between 105 and ultegra hubbage?

TiRed

32h front and rear Open Pros laced onto Miche low flange track hubs. Have been flawless over 2000+ miles. I chose the grey ones to be different, but black look nice too. Difference between 105 and Ultegra is probably the weight of a nice inner tube, or a better quality tyre – about 50g?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Velocity a23 or Open Pro?’ is closed to new replies.