Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Velo Birmingham-Midlands
  • Haze

Anyone in?

mattbee

After the way the organisers treated the residents on/around the route of the (cancelled) Velo South I’d rather burn the entry cost than give it to them.

Haze

Tell me more…

zilog6128

I am in! Sick of applying for RL and never getting a place!

Not heard any of this controversy, however there aren’t a lot of closed road sportives so happy to support/participate!

Haze

Plenty of controversy on the first one, would guess it’s along the same lines of public consultation…or lack of.

Perhaps things could be done better at times but you’re never going to satisfy everyone, was largely a success around here last time and even some of the moaners warmed to the occasion on the day…or maybe just stopped in bed.

lotto
    Free Member

Did the first ever one 2 years ago. There was a lot of teething problems. Parking was an issue as it began in the city centre. Very late route change which was not clearly marked. The waves were approximately 20 mins late in starting. Feed stations were not existent. If they sort these then it will raise it to an average event. Offers nothing over similar events.

IHN

I’m in

Did the first ever one 2 years ago. There were a few teething problems, as can only be expected, as it was the first one. Parking was apparently an issue (we’d stayed the night before and parked at the hotel), but as it began in the city centre I’d have thought that it would have been obvious that parking might be tricky. I had no idea there’d been a route change so it must have been pretty clearly marked. The waves were approximately 20 mins late in starting (due to parked cards on the closed route, again, see teething problems above). Feed stations were fine, although I was mid-pack, they may have started to run short by the end. All in all, a pretty good event, offering completely closed roads, unlike most similar events.

Haze

Yeah I’d expect a few issues with an event of that size, we’re close enough to ride to the start so no issues with parking.

I wouldn’t expect to rely on feed stations anyway, if I’m out for a ton I’d make sure I was self sufficient and treat everything else as a bonus. Though I guess that’s not really the point when you’ve paid the entry…

IHN

I wouldn’t expect to rely on feed stations anyway, if I’m out for a ton I’d make sure I was self sufficient and treat everything else as a bonus. Though I guess that’s not really the point when you’ve paid the entry…

Agree, about the feed stations. For me, the point of the entry fee is the closed roads (and the beer at the end). I don’t see the point of paying not that much less to ride on open roads in a ‘normal’ sportive.

mattbee

Problem with Velo South was largely a complete lack of consultation with residents before planning the route. Villages left with literally no road access for as much as 8 hours, places with no other parking but on the roads having tro’s enfirced which would have meant moving cars to places up to 5 miles away (no help with shuttle busses etc) along narrow country lanes.

Local businesses having to close because people couldn’t access them (a caravan site for eg, where the road closures meant only access was along a single lane road signed as unsuitable for large vehicles), other local events having to cancel etc…

The organisers were unrepentant and seemed totally unconcerned.

It’s one thing closing a city road that is likely to have a relatively easy diversion but the route down here gave no option for that in many cases. Plus tbh a large part of the route would be worse with that volume of cyclists on it than it is with car traffic!

Good luck & I hope you enjoy the event if you enter but like I said I’d not give them a penny & I very much hope they sack off coming back down here unless it’s with a very different plan and attitude.

zilog6128

Offers nothing over similar events.

How many similar events are there? 1 in England this year (not counting RL as you can’t buy a ticket for it!), 1 in Wales. Yes there are a few in Scotland but that’s a loooong drive for me! Unless there are loads of the bloody things everywhere that I don’t know about?!

I very much hope they sack off coming back down here unless it’s with a very different plan and attitude.

mattbee? mattNIMby more like 😂 Nah I agree the road closures & route choice should be done sensibly and with consideration. Some areas obviously just wouldn’t be suitable. I’m all for this kind of event though, should be loads more of them.

lunge

I’m in. Did the first one and really enjoyed it, mainly for the road closures. The feed stops were a joke and I ended up diving into a petrol station instead. It’s nice it’s a new route and like mentioned above, I’ll plan to ignore the feed stations. Just need to set myself a time goal now, sub 5 anyone?!

Haze

Would love to get a sub 5, just coming back from injury and haven’t ridden outdoors since early June….will be happy to hang on to our fast guys!

rOcKeTdOg

new route has been forced on them as a few Worcestershire councils have told them to do one after how poorly things were done last time. doesn’t sound like it’s any better this time around.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Velo Birmingham-Midlands’ is closed to new replies.