• This topic has 36 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Vehicle tax – how the hell do i do it?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just picked up my van with no tax – htf do i tax it?
    Insurance is in force today, i have the registration certificate and the mot but no insurance certificate.

HELP!

Smee
    Free Member

get a cover note for the insurance.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hopefully get that tomorrow but need to drive in the morning also

MrNutt
    Free Member

do it online, if the insurance starts today then it should work.

funkynick

Do it online if you have the V5, you can do it on the DVLA website. They then check the details against the insurance and MOT databases… so no need to actually have the cover note.

I’ve also managed to get a tax disc by going to a DVLA office and pleading my case to the nice lady who worked there… but that was some time ago and they could have got stricter on those things…

sparkywalts
    Free Member

The problem with doing it online is that you have to wait for the disc.

I was going to do that once and rang up the police to check and they said that even if it is in the post they will fine you because you dont have valid tax in the windscreen

MrNutt
    Free Member

thats true, buggered up a weekends riding for me that did!

djglover
    Free Member

did mine at direct.gov or whatever it is, they can tell you are insured straight away.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bastard – no mot – how the **** did i not realise that!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I can’t believe people worry so much about these things. The worst that will happen if you’re extremely unlucky, is that you’ll get done for not displaying a tax disc. You ain’t going to get banged up for 30 years ffs.

mboy
    Free Member

IF you get pulled over, explain politely to the policeman your situation, and assure him that the tax is indeed “in the post” on its way to you.

Most likely result in an “oh, alright then, on your way” or at worst you might get a producer. Even if you drove the car around for MONTHS all that happens is you get a fine for about £60 iirc, and have to pay for the tax you would have otherwise paid for too. But seeing as you’ll only be driving for a day or two most, I’d really not worry about it!

druidh
    Free Member

If it ain’t MOTed, you ain’t taking it anywhere tomorrow (except the testing station)

takisawa2

Same scenario here.
    Wifes tax ran out end Feb. Completely forgot, honestly. Re-newed online late last night.
    Figure the chances of getting stopped are pretty slim. Technically its all in order, Insurance, MOT, Tax (albeit minus the actual disc).
    I reckon they have bigger fish to fry than our people carrier.

Now toss-pot chav down the road, in his souped up, blacked out window’ed Vectra, thats just 100% traffic cop stop-me fodder.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

am i safe to assume that as long as i have one mirror (reading this http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_810.htm) that it will pass?

dave_aber
    Free Member

am i safe to assume that as long as i have one mirror (reading this http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_810.htm) that it will pass?

You’ll need brakes, lights, decent tyres etc as well.

IGMC 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not the time – i am in a right tiz

Hairychested
    Free Member

RR – do it online.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no mot hairy

samuri
    Free Member

and stop referring to it as tax, it’s vehicle excise duty.

Drac

bastard – no mot – how the **** did i not realise that!

What you bought a van and never asked if it was MOT’d. Oh dear.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The order to do it in is Insurance, then MOT then VED

Del

I can’t believe people worry so much about these things. The worst that will happen if you’re extremely unlucky, is that you’ll get done for not displaying a tax disc. You ain’t going to get banged up for 30 years ffs.

well, i’d say the worst that can happen is that you end up in an accident, and your insurance company refuses to pay, as you’re not entitled to be on the road unless you comply with the law.

as for appealing to a policeman’s discretion, well i guess you might get lucky and get stopped by Dixon of Dock Green and i admire your optimism, but more likely you’ll find yourself with a fine on the way to meeting the target figures.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went throught the same thing last week (well I had an MOT)

It took a few days for the online system to recognise my insurance.

Drac

I wonder, did you tell the insurance company it wasn’t Mot’d?

Rich
    Free Member

I thought vans had to have 2 exterior mirrors if you wouldn’t be able to see out the back through an interior mirror, depends on the van I suppose and whether it has a full bulkhead behind the driver or blocked out rear windows on the back doors.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Re the tax – surely if you do it on line you can print off a copy of the bill and keep that with you to prove that you *have* paid for it, just not received it yet.

Drac

If you have a MOT then yes.

Rich
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter JonEdwards, you are still committing the offence of not displaying a tax disc.

And yes I have been done for this. 🙁

votchy
    Free Member

No MOT = no tax = no insurance, police have the power to seize the vehicle and have it crushed

Hairychested
    Free Member

Rich, if you buy online you aren’t commiting the offence. You have 5 days. It says so on the receipt. I’ve printed it off and keep it in the car for the plod.

Drac

No MOT also means the van should have been a lot cheaper, I hope you got it cheap.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

sorted – van has gone back!

Drac

OMG!

Now we await more van threads.

But yeah I’d be tempted to do that if they’d told you it had a MOT and it didn’t.

jam-bo

is this the one you bought off a ‘mate’?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no this was from a repuatble “dealer”

racing_ralph
    Free Member

thinking is if he lied about that what other skeletons are lurking? once bitten and all that

Rich
    Free Member

Rich, if you buy online you aren’t commiting the offence. You have 5 days. It says so on the receipt. I’ve printed it off and keep it in the car for the plod.

Ok, things have changed a bit since it all became available online.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Vehicle tax – how the hell do i do it?’ is closed to new replies.