Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)
  • Vegetarianist nonsense
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I saw a picture on that facebook yesterday that had a caption on it saying that vegetarians ‘save 100 animals a year’.

Now this got me thinking…

If everyone gave up eating meat then there would be a surplus of animals, and if remained unchecked would rapidly lead to there being 100’s times the number of ‘food animals’ than humans. This gives a problem as these animals will need feeding. They will no doubt then eat all the vegetable, grain, pulse, etc foods that are grown leaving none for the humans.

Assuming we find a way out of this (probably by holding a massive ‘day off barbecue’ for everyone), then we will find oursleves not breeding the ‘food animals’, and thereby the vegetarianists will not be saving any animals. I dare say an established vegie isn’t saving any animals already, ‘cos they aren’t eating an animal that hasn’t been bread because they wouldn’t be buying it anyway.

Anyway, I was tempted to reply to the faceplant post asking the poster where in their small 4th floor flat they were going to keep their 10 cows, 10 sheep and 80 chickens, but really couldn’t be bothered. I may get round to winding them up later though.

Anyway, to keep things naturally balanced…..

…Bacon sarnie anyone?

Row two, Column four.

piemonster

I think if everyone suddenly went Veggie.

The fires of Foot and mouth would looks like a small Sunday BBQ

xherbivorex
    Free Member

oh good grief.

TBH, both “sides” of this particular little gem are “nonsense”.

The-Beard

MTG: 😆

grum
    Free Member

What a ludicrous argument – ‘we’ve raised too many animals and its all the vegetarians fault that now we CBA looking after them so we’re going to kill them all’

I’m not vegetarian BTW.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

TBH, both “sides” of this particular little gem are “nonsense”.

Exactly my point. Someone trying to tell me animals will be saved by going veggie hasn’t really thought it fully through. I mind not a jot what people choose to eat, but when people do it on some ‘moral’ grounds, but some meats seem to be exempt for them ‘cos they taste nice, does tend to heat my urine to the point of evapouration!

_tom_
    Free Member

Reminds me of a good joke.

How do you tell if someones vegan/vegetarian?
    Don’t worry, they’ll f**ing tell you!

johnellison
    Free Member

How do you tell if someones vegan/vegetarian?
    Don’t worry, they’ll f**ing tell you!

Well they’ll not put their hand up will they? Too weak…

piemonster

😆

Row four, Column three
    Row three, Column one
    Row five, Column five

All within the first ten posts.

piemonster

Anyway, I thought the veggie argument was more “saving an animal from being murdered”

Not enabling a flock of sheep to live wild and free in the hills.

piemonster

Anyway I have canine teeth.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What’s row 3, column 3 then?

piemonster

Me earlier

image by piemonster, on Flickr

andytherocketeer

Bacon sarnie anyone?

Don’t mind if I do.

No need to home the animals. They’ll do exactly the same as they do with a significant quantity of male calves in the milk industry.

Would be an interesting experiment on the effects on greenhouse gases though.

aracer
    Free Member

Who’s got the preachy vegan sheet?

piemonster

Would be an interesting experiment on the effects on greenhouse gases though

I’ve often wondered about this. I wonder if Veggies fart more than Omnivores? If so by how much?

andytherocketeer

Only if one instantly changes to veggie i think, but then it wears off.

Unless onions feature a lot.

shermer75
    Free Member

. I wonder if Veggies fart more than Omnivores? If so by how much?

When I was a veggie I farted less and it smelt better too!

avdave2

Now this got me thinking.

But not very hard. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I tried not eating meat once but it just didn’t work for me.

Plus a cow once smiled at me so I know it was happy being bred for food.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What will we do with all the animals that die of natural causes?

samuri
    Free Member

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely the animals are bred for food. If demand drops then they simply wont breed as many.
    Simple supply and demand shureley??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh go on then….

😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Surely the animals are bred for food. If demand drops then they simply wont breed as many.
    Simple supply and demand shureley??

But then how would you be saving something that didn’t exist anyway?

samuri
    Free Member

What we should do is eat all the pretty cows first. Then the bulls won’t want to have sex with the ones that are left.

grum
    Free Member

But then how would you be saving something that didn’t exist anyway?

Do you really need this explaining?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Do you really need this explaining?

Yeah, go on!

You may be able to tell, but I’m in a flippant mood today

nickjb
    Free Member

If we didn’t kill cows for meat and milk production they’d probably be extinct by now. Funnily enough if we stopped eating fish they’d be thriving.

grum
    Free Member

Well, for some people vegetarianism is motivated by not wanting animals to be bred, raised in captivity, then slaughtered for meat. If animals are never born to fulfil this purpose then they’ve achieved their aim surely. Animals have been ‘saved’ from being raised and slaughtered purely for meat. Would have thought that was fairly obvious.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yes, I see that but the original thing I saw said that each person would save 100 animals a year, but you can’t save something that doesn’t exist.

mudmonster
    Free Member

How did the world cope for over 3 billion years of life without humans to control out of control breading by animals?

It takes a lot more land to breed animals than it does to grow grain. Think we should start controlling the human population and then we wouldn’t need to cut down rainforests to feed animals.

cookeaa

I was a “Piscatarian” for 15 years, it was often easier to just tell people I was a Veggie, you could often gauge how much of a fucknuckle the person you’d just met was by their response to finding out your diet wasn’t “Normal”…

In the end the practicalities of regularly preparing three different meals for me, my wife and our first born, plus the fact that yes certain meat products are very tasty persuaded me to go back on the meat… Might switch back though one day. I’m really not too worried about animal welfare. TBH the Horse meat thing will probably serve to bolster the number of “Fair weather Vegetarians” more than the “Meat is Murder Possie” for a couple of months before normal levels of animal munching are resumed.

Some people are thick and think an individuals dietary choice is some sort of wider indicator of your political views/beliefs, but there are plenty of dickheads that do and don’t eat meat, it really means nowt…
    Why not just let people eat/not eat what they want?

TBH everyone know’s that Meat production (Farming to you and me) is a business and it works around the basic rules of supply and demand. If there is less demand then there will be fewer animals bred, you can’t “Save” an animal that wasn’t born.
    Obviously it takes time for the supply chain to react to changes in numbers so if a larger number of people go veggie over night the odds are they simply trigger a bit more wastage those 100 animals per-capita won’t be saved from slaughter just not consumed by people…

Of course if we all went veggie tomorrow I’m sure all those spare animals would still be put to work solving other problem, Transport would be a good one, you could ride them, but the odds are we’d find a way to mash ’em up, render them down and burn them in an internal combustion engine of some sort… Anyone know the energy density of a liquified chicken? I reckon it’d get my car to/from work…

andytherocketeer

No wool either.

Get enough static shocks as it is, let alone every carpet being synthetic like the old ones in school.

Welsh hills would return to being a forest though, which could be a bonus for MTBers.

mudmonster
    Free Member

So 29er’s then??

Solo
    Free Member

Row four, Column three
    Row three, Column one
    Row five, Column five

You’ve Sunk my Battle Ship !
    😡

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Where would I get my leather saddle from you insensitive count

andytherocketeer

Wasn’t that one was 4 squares long?

edit: and would have sunk ages ago if it was in that many disparate sections.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Vegetarianist nonsense’ is closed to new replies.