• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Vader.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Vegepod for growing your veg – any real world experience?
  • Premier Icon beamers
    Subscriber

Afternoon all

Does anyone within the STW massive have any experience of using a Vegepod to grow homegrown veg?

Asking for a friend.

mrsheen

£300 seems a bit steep. It looks nice and well contained but one can grow veg in buckets and cloches for a fraction of the price.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

No experience but depends on what your friend wants to grow / eat.

It’s fairly limited in what you can grow in a 2m x 1m spot. You could grow a shedload of salad or 3 brassicas 🙂

And it’s a lot of bloody money!

Premier Icon beamers
    Subscriber

And it’s a lot of bloody money!

My thoughts exactly!

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

I like that very much! For one person it looks ideal and not terrifying either.

stevextc

Not specific but its just a more limited version of some 2m x 1m box.
    (since you have the buts where you can plant decided for you)

We use some decking, plastic sheet and a 100mm fencepost cut for legs and corners. (you can wrap copper tape or other slug defenses round a leg easier)
    I just make these to fit the space and any netting or covers. I could make a LOT for £300.

If you want to eat greens peas and beans are super prolific .. but we use a big 20L buckets as you need deeper. There are only 3 of us and we freeze a load and give a lot away in summer.

kahl

Between this and the pizza oven thread, people have way too much money. You could do better diy for a fraction of the price in both cases.

Premier Icon beamers
    Subscriber

I think I’ll advise my friend to investigate the DIY option.

What wood for the DIY option? You know, to prevent any chemical nastiness getting into that lovely homegrown veg.

kevs

Isn’t that just an overpriced miniature polytunnel?

I bought a polytunnel about two months ago 8mx4m for less than the cost of that……

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

What wood for the DIY option? You know, to prevent any chemical nastiness getting into that lovely homegrown veg.

As Steve said, just use decking & put some plastic lining in it – any old crap will do, just make sure there’s plenty of holes for drainage 🙂

Premier Icon beamers
    Subscriber

Cheers all.

DIY option FTW.

Vader

Old scaffold boards are perfect for building a veg raised bed. Get them from scaff companies. Bit of cash on netting and watnot, cheap as chips. Scaff boards are thinner than sleepers so more space for veg

We have a raised section with a polycarbonate window which is the cold frame for tender plants, rocket and herbs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.