Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Vauxhall Astra 2004 onwards model……. any good?
  • Neil-F
    Free Member

I’m after a car, fairly urgently (before August) and I’m kinda swinging towards an Astra 1.6 petrol, budget about 2.5k.

Any experiences, namely bad ones?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a 55 plate diesel estate. Odd bits and bobs have needed sorting but on the whole, I think it’s holding up well for an 8 year old car with 150,000 miles on the clock.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve got an 04 plate, just when they changed the shape. It’s an OK car but then again I like Astras.

nickdavies

I had one for 3 years, barely put a foot wrong. Diesel estate though. Would have thought the petrol fairly bombproof given it’s likely to be fairly low mileage.

If comparing spec go for design spec over SRI, SRI might be top spec but it’s very spartan. Cruise control an easy add on afterwards if you wish which is very good. The wing mirrors are really crap they just self destruct, loads of astra’s have them cracked and hanging off. Thankfully they have black trim around the colour coded bit so you can bodge with insulation tape and no-one will notice 🙂

Google will reveal the common faults, the only problem I had with it was both rear springs snapped around 80k which apparently is common, worth checking those. Mine did spend a lot of it’s life lugging loads though. I’d also say if it’s got a few miles on check water pump and cambelt (if it has one) have both been done, vauxhall recommend every 80-100k depending on engine which I think is optimistic. They looked at me funny when I told them I wanted mine done at 60k and it wasn’t due for another 40….

Coyote
    Free Member

check water pump and cambelt have both been done

Chain not belt on some models.

Rscott
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 both estates.

Ok to drive nothing special comfee to sit in (good Seats)

The petrol 1.6 was mechanicaly awsome, full service history but a little thirsty i got about 34 mpg tops, and the ignition switch kept breaking easy fix at £100 or clean your key every few weeks.

the 1.9cdti (150bhp) on the other hand was all the things the petrol was but with the added bonus of dual mass fly wheel being utter rubbish gear box utter Rubbish and ecu U utter rubish.

Petrol all the way anything other than the 1.7 diesel stay away from. I have roof bars that are a bit rough and ready but with the correct feet for the 2004 to 2007 modle you can have for postage.

MrNutt
    Free Member

awful cars, avoid.

Northwind

The boot is good in the estate, not that wide but tall and very long. They feel like they were hammered out of old biscuit tins, though. Absolutely no soul, it was the 200 brake one I testdrove and a car that quick shouldn’t ever be so dull.

andypaul99
    Free Member

good cars, the 1.6 engine is pretty bombproof and reasonable on fuel too.

look out for : reject a car if the radio display says ‘safe mode’ as the cars electrics and engine mgt run through the stereo

as with any car walk away if any warning lights showing or the car unusually low on oil or water

cinnamon_girl

I’ve bought a few Astras over the last 15 years and currently drive a 1.6 Estate. Have found them to be very reliable and the Estate is great as a work horse for carrying bikes although a bit underpowered.

ChrisA
    Free Member

The other half has a 1.4 petrol sxi and loves it. Bit underpowered but she’s only using it to go to work & back so doesn’t need much else. Boot space is good and seems plenty of room in it. Had no mechanical problems so far and seems pretty bombproof.

banks
    Free Member

Had a 1.4 petrol for a while. Cheap to run, insurure & repair – starter motor & ignition barrel went on mine. Strangely when I put it up for sale I was bombarded with offers – almost 80 emails in a few hours. In the end some old chap sent me 200 quid to take the car off auto trader without seeing it, came round the next morning from the other end of the country with two mechanics & bought it straight away… Must be doing something right

orena45

Had a 1.6 SXi for just over 5 years from practically new. Apart from the coil pack needing replacing in the final year I had it, it was totally reliable. Was pretty economical at around 38-39mpg driving around…got up to 44mpg on a good motorway run.

Only sold it because Ms orena45 wanted us to go from a 2 car to a 1 car household and promptly bought a Mini Cooper of Ebay, so had to sell my beloved Astra to pay for it 🙁

st

I had a 1.6 ‘Comfort’from new for a couple of years as a compnay car.

Not exactly inspiring but it was a decent enough car. Not overly spacious inside but sufficient for 2 adults and stuff. Occasional rear seat passengers got on fine, a couple of kids would be no bother. I kept roof bars and bike carriers permanenelty attached (I had a fuel card at the time) and it was a sound car for bike trips and carting tools around for trailbuilding together with the daily 80 mile commute.

Reliability was fine with no issues in the time I ran the car albeit it was new when I had it.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Good stuff guys, real world owners with honest and forthcoming opinions and experiences. What more could I ask for?
    I’ve stuck a deposit on one. 😀
    To be honest, I knew they were decent cars, but hearing itfrom STW makes me feel a whole lot better! 😆 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Vauxhall Astra 2004 onwards model……. any good?’ is closed to new replies.