Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vaude Moab Mid STX AM
  • Andy-R

Anyone out there got any experience of these? Are they the answer for British winter riding with a bit of carrying (ie waterproof and with grippy heel and toe areas) , bearing in mind the (to me at least) eye watering price?

How do they size up – if I’m usually a 43 will these be the same?

These – http://www.vaude.com/en-BE/Products/Shoes/Bike-Shoes/Moab-Mid-STX-AM-black.html

Thanks guys.

andybrad

Wheres Nick when you need him!

a chap on our wrn has some. They look properly nice but they also look like suede so id be interested to see how they last.

Andy-R

Duhh! Malaka that I am, I’ve just found a review on this very website….

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-vaude-moab-mid-stx-am/

I’d still be interested in any other opinions before I splash out though.

NCC

Well, seeing as Andybrad has asked so nicely, I’ll make one of my very occasional posts on here 🙂

I have indeed just got a pair of these and I like them a lot. They were great on the ride/push/carry up Snowdon a few weeks ago. Used them the day after on a much more traditional old skool bog trot of a ride and they were certainly a lot less treacherous than my 5:10’s on wet grass/mud. You can still occasionally slide a bit if you don’t think about specifically using the toe or heel area but as long as you make contact with the grippy bit, they’re good. Not Scarpa/Meindl walking boot grippy but much better than any completely flat sole.

As for the pedal/shoe bit, it’s equally good. Obviously not 5:10 Stealth rubber sticky but I’ve yet to slip off using my Hope pedals.

Size wise, they’re seem to run true to size. I’m a 42 or 43 in most shoes and a 43 in these is spot on, with enough room to wear a reasonably thick sock but not too roomy to cause problems with normal socks.

As Andy says, the uppers are made of some suede like material and I don’t know how they’ll hold up to a full winter of Calderdale riding. Past experience of Vaude stuff makes me think they’ll be pretty well made and tough enough to cope though.

roverpig

Thanks OP (and NCC). I’ve been swithering over whether to get these (or the cheaper FiveTen freerider EPS) for far too long. I think it’s only really the suede uppers that puts me off to be honest. But then I guess a wash and a brush from time to time should be enough to keep them in decent nick (maybe a spray with some treatment or other). I don’t really care what my mountain bike shoes look like. Just don’t want them falling apart.

roverpig

OK, enough swithering, just ordered a pair. Through Amazon, although it looks as though they come from Bikester in Germany. Will report back when they arrive.

Andy-R

Thanks for that – looks like I’ll be ordering some then. I’ll have a trawl around for the best price.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vaude Moab Mid STX AM’ is closed to new replies.