Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Varifocals vs ‘Negative Correction Factor’
  • 40mpg

My near distance vision has been declining, plus I’ve been fairly short sighted for years. At my last eye test Specsavers strongly recommended varifocals which I declined at £400 😳

I did use the prescription to get some riding glasses (Rad8 which are great, as recommended here). My prescription included a negative correction factor, and with the Rad8 glasses i can read close up much better as well as distance vision.

Can anyone explain how this works? And is it an alternative to varifocals?

I need some new general use glasses and this would save having to perch them on my bonce when, for instance, staring at my phone like now.

trailmonkey

I wear contact lenses and they are corrected in this way to cater for long and short sightedness.

My glasses are -2.75 in both eyes, my lenses are -1.75 and -2.75.

I don’t know how it works but it does. It’s not as good as the vision I have with my glasses but it’s more than good enough and in terms of what it enables me to do without a whole load of faff , it’s verging on life changing.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve never heard the term ‘negative correction factor’, but my contacts are similar to trailmonkey’s. It works because although in close up or distance, only one eye is in focus, your brain can use that sharpness across the whole field of vision, while still using both eyes for judging distance. The downrated lens needs to be in your non-dominant eye, and 1.0 is about as much as most people can cope with. I don’t know if it works with glasses.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slowoldman

I imagine it refers to the near distance correction. My varifocal prescription has “ADD 2.5” for the reading bit. I don’t know if it’s possible for that to be negative.

What type of lenses did you specify to RAD8 and what does your prescription say?

doomanic

I recently used Glasses Direct online to buy varifocals with the best lens and Oakley frames for well under £200. They’ve been a game changer for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.