Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Vans – Transit Connect
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

Thinking of replacing our 2nd car with a Van and really like the look of the Transit Connect. Would have to be the Double Cab In Van as could do with the flexibility of the extra seats. Thought about the 3 seats up front but don’t think that’s comfy for the passenger and the middle seat doesn’t look like it would fit the ISO fix base for the sprog.

Is the SWB long enough for chucking bikes in? Obviously the LWB would be better but there are less of them about.

Anyone got one what are your thoughts on them?

I have looked at the tourneo connect but I just think it looks so ugly and too much like a family bus and not sure I can deal with the shame of driving it! (Pathetic I know)

The Caddy maxi is another option but would rather avoid the VW tax.

jamesoz

Go long wheelbase if you can. Yeah you can chuck old school 26″ MTBs in a Swb connect but modern longer bikes are going to be a struggle in larger sizes.

I’m currently using a 2019 L2 Connect. It’s pretty good on fuel, the digital radio developed total memory loss which took ford ages to sort out.
    The centre console, like other fords drives me nuts with my knee/calf constantly rubbing it if I don’t sit in a very specific way.
    There’s no rear view mirror in mine which means a massive gap between the sun visors which can be a nightmare with low winter sun.
    Aside from that it’s a nice drive with supple suspension and way better than the two caddy’s I’ve used, only done 22kmiles in it so reliability is yet to be proved.

Tracey

We have a SWB Tourneo Connect that our daughter uses for weekends away. No problems with getting a 29er Enduro with wheels on and sleeping alongside of it with the rear three seats removed. She also has a Decathlon Air shelter for the side of it. Its the 1.6 petrol turbo which uses quite a bit of fuel.

Show me your Tourneos!

rOcKeTdOg

Thought about the 3 seats up front but don’t think that’s comfy for the passenger

The middle seat is for emergency use only not for any sort of Long journey.

I’ve had two fat bikes and two gravel bikes in the back of my SWB Gen2 with wheels on.

jamesoz

No problems with getting a 29er Enduro with wheels on and sleeping alongside of it with the rear three seats removed.

Really? My large 650b Aeris is pretty much touching the bulkhead and back doors in the L2 and it’s just long enough to sleep in for a 6′ me. Maybe without the bulkhead it frees up space.

Tracey

More room without the bulkhead. Looked at the van option and was disappointed with the lack of flexibility and trim. We would have had to take the bulkhead out. With the rear seats you can remove/fold one, two or three. She has even made some blinds for when she is camping in it.

jamesoz

Ah, makes sense without a bulkhead. I don’t think they do the 1.6 petrol turbo as a van, mines a 1.5 diesel. Does around 40mpg if I’m not careful. 50 mpg if I am, although that depends if you believe the number on the dash.

Tracey

Average around the 25 mpg which is ridiculous for the engine as she doesn’t have a heavy right foot. We get better out of the campervan.

tthew

I bloody love mine. L2 van with the 120bhp engine because I wanted the 6 speed box. Great on fuel, mid 50’s, but I do 60 on the motorway because I’m in no particular rush to rag it to work. Don’t really think of it as a 3 seater, not for any distance anyway.

Drives great, comfortable, reliable so far, (66 plate)

Only thing that could be better is head room in the back.

surfer
    Free Member

Not a transit but on the LWB/SWB thing. I was looking for a SWB T6 and found an ex company LWB in mint condition. I have driven the SWB (they drive the same obvs) but I must admit that extra length makes a huge difference (stop sniggering at the back) glad I go the LWB

cultsdave
    Free Member

Cheers folks, going to test drive some over the weekend.

Marin
    Free Member

My firm had these as work vans about 3 years ago. All 5 of us driving them got bad backs which which was resolved by changing vans. Awful bucket type seats. Hopefully they’ve changed them now.

tthew

Awful bucket type seats. Hopefully they’ve changed them now.

Only had this one, so can’t compare between different age ones, but I like the driving position, it’s quite nice an upright, supports the backs of your legs so more like sitting in a decent desk chair than a more reclined car pose. Driver seat is quite adjustable in the top-spec version, but I know what you mean about bucket seats, the cushion is fairly narrow. I notice it because mine has a heated seat base, (ooh, posh!) but the squabs aren’t heated so you get a nice warm arse and leg back, but the outside of your thighs remain cold.

Now, if that’s not a first world problem, I don’t know what is! 🤣

squirrelking
    Free Member

Tracey is that an air beam shelter? Tried to find it on the site with no luck, guessing it’s discontinued.

bowglie

We’re currently thinking of changing our Mk7 LWB Transit for something smaller and are looking at Vivaro, Transit Custom and VW’s.  I’d strongly recommend going LWB if you’ve got the drive space or whatever to accommodate the van.

As far as the Custom goes, my physio’s husband has one of the pre-facelift versions, and he’s had terrible back trouble from the drivers seat. I’ve recently tried a facelifted one, and it felt great (but I haven’t done a long journey driving one!).  One of the main things that is putting us off the Custom is the super-thin paint and hopeless security on them.  Recently had the locks upgraded on our Transit and the locksmith has just replaced his Ford with a Vivaro.  When I mentioned swapping ours for a Custom he said they’re even easier to get into than a Mk7….and that’s saying something! Oh, and he also mentioned the thin paint and susceptibility to corrosion on the Customs.

HTH

tthew

I did do a long journey in mine, Cheshire to mid-Belgium with a piss stop and the train break. No comfort issues at all. Recently had the ‘pleasure’ of sitting in a BMW Mini from London to Cheshire. My arse bones were killing before the M25. Like bike saddles, car seats are very individual comfort wise, unfortunately not so easy to change if you get it wrong.

Tracey

This is what they call it. I noticed earlier this year that they didn’t have them up in stores but they were readily available in the French stores last time we were over.

AIR SECONDS BASE XL INFLATABLE CAMPING SHELTER

wzzzz
    Free Member

What’s the difference in looks between a transit connect and tourneo connect? Just some rear windows?!?!

Does the Tourneo connect have car speed limits, and transit connect have van limits?

Tracey

Tourneo Connect has car speed limits and is fully paneled out as such like a car. Also has up and over rear door which helps when sheltering from the rain. Comes with the various specs like any other Ford

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tourneo connect is a taxi

Connect is a van – possibly with seats

bowglie

Not sure if this is just salesman BS, but we were told the Torneo has more soundproofing than the van. Makes sense if you think of the car like panelling in the back.  However, having fitted self adhesive sound deadening and insulation to our Transit van, it’s not a difficult job to do on a stripped out van.  As Tracey has mentioned though, the tailgate can be a real bonus in the rain – only thing you have to be aware of is leaving enough space to open it properly.

Oh, and the Torneos have factory fitted windows with the more leak resistant opening side windows – some of the aftermarket opening windows are bobbins.

biglee1

I’ve had my 65 plate tranny custom limited for a couple of months and so far love it 👍 it’s a swb panel van. I carpeted the rear as well as sound deadening all the panels and floor, it’s got a thunk now instead of a clang if you tap the panels! 😂 I removed the bulkhead and before I did all that found it too noisy, the biggest difference to that I found was the carpet 👍 it’s really well specced being a custom as well ❤️

tthew

It’s the Limited designation which defines the spec level, but yeah, my Connect is Limited. Heated windscreen and washer jets, awesome at this time of the year

biglee1

😂 That’s right, my brain said limited but my fingers typed custom 🙄😂 better spec than most of the cars I’ve had 👍

jamesoz

One thing I did struggle with is the long dash, short bonnet. Oddly they don’t have toward parking sensors. I have no trouble parking anything else with or without sensors but for some reason the Connect took me ages to get used to.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Cheers Tracey, going to see if I can find a decent shipping forwarding service and order from France.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Vans – Transit Connect’ is closed to new replies.