Vancover trip – suggestions

Home Forum Chat Forum Vancover trip – suggestions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Vancover trip – suggestions
  • Premier Icon NZCol

Family (wife and 15 month old daughter) have 2 weeks flying in and out of Vancouver. We’ll be in Vancouver for 3 nights, what else would those that have been to the area suggest. Yes we will have 2 bikes with us and therefore some riding will be partaken of !

I guess everyone else is asleep, except us Vancouver locals…. so what time of year, and what type of riding do you want?

For the whole family:
    – Go for a leisurely ride around Stanley Park seawall (you can rent chariots/carriers from some of the local places. or head south over Burrard Bridge and follow the cycle path out past Jericho Beach (particularly good on a hot day).
    – Pacific Spirit Park out at UBC is all smooth-gravel trails, its mostly ok for a chariot/carrier if you take it easy.
    – Vancouver Aquarium good for little ones on a wet day
    – Granville Island for markets & food, but also a good kids play zone.

On the North Shore:
    – Grouse mountain if its nice spring/summer weather (not much fun in the drizzle). Grizzly bears, birds of prey show, lumberjack show, etc etc. Tickets are pricey ($45) or walk up the Grouse Grind in the summer if you’re feeling particularly fit ($10 down-ticket recommended). I did it with my 3.5yr old last summer… it was good training!
    – Maplewood Farm
    – Good walking around Lynn Canyon and Rice Lake, free suspension bridge, nice views of the river.
    – Capilano Canyon has a bigger suspension bridge but you pay for access; its more of a tourist attraction.
    – IF you’re desperate for more family riding, park at Rice Lake and ride the old road. 20km return trip on tarmac road with no motor-access and access to the river at the end.

For non-family MTB, start with Lower Seymour trails or lower Fromme. If you’re going solo, get the guidebook or iPhone app. I can recommend some trails if you give me an idea of what you want, as I bet many will do so below once they wake up. Generally speaking, most of the riding involves steep singletrack or fireroad climbs with technical blue/black descents, most suitable for a FS trail/AM bike.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Vancover trip – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.