Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Vancouver and surrounding BC !
  • andyfla
    Free Member

Vancouver is the holiday destination for this summer for the AndyFla’s. Anyone got any ideas of what to do there with 2 small children (2 and 6 years old)- we have 2 weeks to travel round or stay still.

Any none biking suggestions as the 2 year old maybe on his balance bike but north shore at Whistler is poss a touch ambitious ?

wrecker
    Free Member

North shore is vancouver. Whistler is whistler 😀
    Grouse mountain is good; cable car to the top, grizzly bear pen, golden eagle shows, wood carving. There’s a restaurant and shop etc. I really enjoyed it. The aquarium has some amazing fish stuffs, but be warned its not very big. I didnt like it, the beluga whales didnt have anywhere near enough space. I’d try and do a couple of days on vancouver island. Tofino must have one of the most beautiful coasts around with rainforest walks. The drive is pretty spectacular too.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

capilano suspension bridge

kayaking int sea

go find some whales

go to gastown in vancouver

have a look round BC university

There is a free shuttle but to capilano and grouse mountain from Canada Place (where the cruise liners stop) by the way

langley valley suspension bridge is like capilano but free and smaller and near it

thekingisdead
    Free Member

2nd Tofino on van island. STUNNING coastline.

Can’t do the linky thing

As wrecker eluded to, ‘north shore’ is an area of Vancouver, and also what we Brits call the raised wood work synonymous with BC

andyfla
    Free Member

My apologies for the north shore/whistler confusion. I was pertaining to the fact that any type of 10 foot up in the air backflippy stuff would poss be to much for a 2 yr old on an islabike – although he would prob be better than his old man …..

Ah, singletrack forums ….. 😀

andyfla
    Free Member

Tofino looks stunning

wrecker
    Free Member

Doesn’t really do it justice, but here’s a pic of the tofino coast;

Thekingisdeads pic looks like macenzie beach. That’s where I proposed 😀

You’re welcome BTW.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I was at Fernie last weekend and saw plenty of balance bikes playing around in the terrain park.. 10ft too high but 2ft with mum and dad either side seemed eminently possible.

andyfla
    Free Member

I must speak about packing some bikes then 😀

spooky_b329

The whale watching is definitely something to put on the ‘to do’ list. Our trip involved us being picked up in Coal Harbour and then mini-bussed south through Vancouver to Steveston whilst the driver told us about all the sights. He was very proud of the oldest building in Steveston, we were a little surprised when it turned out to only be around a hundred years old, younger than the terrace we were living in at the time 🙂

Spent ages watching the whales and peeping at exclusive houses nestled in the coves.

MoreCashThanDash

Spent some time in Vancouver on honeymoon, so pre kids, bur the gas clock thing might amuse them, the big park is worth a look, have vague memories of a monorail transit system – can’t remember if the miniflas are into trains or not. Big cruise liners to stare at if they like boats.

Do not attempt a romantic meal in a revolving restaurant if it makes Mrsfla feel queasy……

andyfla
    Free Member

Ok, Next suggestions is where do we head into the mountains ?
    Whistler ? or are there nicer smaller places to go to ?

wrecker
    Free Member

There are mountains EVERYWHERE. The horizon is so high all over BC.
    Whistler is VERY commercial (be warned) it is purpose built for tourism.

Rubber-Duck

The mining museum on the way to Whistler from Van is very good. You cant miss it there is a HUGE yellow dump truck visible from the road. It never worked there but its still HUGE. There are also some really lovely swimming lakes around Squarmish and a super water fall. Sunshine Coast has a nice ferry trip. Deep Cove is lovely too and you can hire those standing paddly surf board thingeys. 😀

spooky_b329

Whistler is worth a visit if you are going to hire a bike and ride the trails. (there are some great family trails in the valley as well as the bigger stuff up the slopes) I wouldn’t go there just for the town though, its basically just a big shopping centre styled to look like a European ski village. Its all thin stone cladding over concrete. Half the shops are owned by ‘the mountain’ and sell the same stuff.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Stanley Park at the end of Robson Street is nice. we met this family while there:

Telus thing:

Chinese memorial garden:

further afield, Lake Louise in Alberta:

be warned, it’s a 9 hour drive from Vancouver so might not be practical with a 2YO in tow….

sweaman2
    Free Member

I would agree about avoid Whistler unless you are really intending to ride bikes.. It’s very commercial. I really like Revelstoke but I suspect it might be a bit far for you to go from Vancouver especially if you do Vancouver Island as well.

My knowledge base is really more Calgary based. However I love Squamish.. you can hike up the chief; do some easy (or hard) mountain biking or just lounge around.. Get’s busy at weekends mind.

It’s possibly a long shot and depends how adventurous you are but a few years ago I did a trip sea kayaking with Wildheart adventures.. A At the time they had modified one of the doubles to have an infant in the center section. Also Barkley sound kayak center do family programs but I’ve never been with them but Al’s a nice guy in winter..If you can do it sea kayaking off Vancouver Island is a fantastic experience.

walleater

Go to Whistler and play the ‘How many Abercrombie and Fitch tops can you see in an hour’ game. Or go anywhere else.

walleater

Go to Squamish, grab a hire bike from town and head to Alice Lake. Leave Missus and kids by the lake for a couple of hours and hit the trails. If nothing else, you could go up the new climbing trail and then ride Credit Line back down again and your family will hardly have noticed that you’d gone!

MoreCashThanDash

We should try speaking in person some time!

Can offer 11 year out of date advice on Banff, Jasper and Knight Inlet Lodge.

And they all warn you to watch out for bears, but the year we were there the only two fatalities were from mountain lions

Lake Louise is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen

plumber
    Free Member

Squamish is definately worth a visit

wouldn’t bother with whistler unless you are actually biking

if you want to travel then Nelson via Okanogan valley is definatley doable and lovely with an overnight stay

Trust me Lake Louise, Calgary, Fernie are all too far away to be a fun trip. Furthest I would go is Kalowna and that would be pushing it some.

Perhaps a drive to Seattle for the starbucks bollocks – its supposed to be a nice town actually

BearBack
    Free Member

with 2 weeks.. choose either:

Island and Sunshine coast
    or
    Suashwap and Icefields parkway

For Island, I’d consider (loosely)..
    Night Vancouver
    Rent Car, Horsehoe bay ferry > Departure Bay.
    Stop at Coombs country market (goats on the roof)
    Stop at Catherdral Grove
    Drive to Tofino. Sea Kayak etc
    Back to Courtnay/Comox (mtb Mt Washington)
    Over to Powel river and ferry hop down the sunshine coast back to Gibsons. There is some great riding on the coast.. but be warned, their map books are rubbish.
    Squamish, North Van,
    Done.

Us ethe http://www.hellobc.com website to fill the gaps depsnding what you want to do with the kids.

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers all, I shall report back on what we decide to do

muzzle
    Free Member

If you plan to drive down to Seattle, stop at the Boeing factory in Everett on the way. Tours are free if you book in advance (they were 8 years ago when I went anyway).

Go for a ride on the False Creek ferries in Vancouver too – I imagine kids will love them – and you can combine it with a visit to Granville Island market. You should definitely go to an ice hockey match as well. Vancouver Giants are a cheaper alternative to the Canucks, and there is still a great atmosphere, although there may be the occasional fight (on the ice, not in the crowd)… worth bearing in mind if you’re taking the kids!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Vancouver and surrounding BC !’ is closed to new replies.