Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Van wild camping peak
  • nickdavies

What are they like in winter at enforcing moving on overnight, anyone know? Wouldn’t bother in summer but have chances at some weekday rides coming up, but I want to be away by 7ish so I can get back for the afternoon. Have heater in van now so thinking of testing it and just heading up late and leaving early. Would rather not pay for a site so was just thinking of winging it somewhere like the bottom of stanage plantation.

Any locals know the crack? Obviously wouldn’t bother in summer but was hoping a winter weekday wouldn’t attract any attention.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

my limited (and indeed dated) experience is that Stanage Plantation is the one place you will get moved on from.  We slept on the grass there one night around 23 years ago and got woken up and moved on by the park ranger.  He said that if we’d been by the side of the road at the popular end of Stanage and within 6m (6ft?) of the road then there is nothing he could have done.

welshfarmer

I spent a night in the back of my Landrover at the parking on the corner where the green lane comes out below Stanage. Arrived late, left early. No issues at all. I remeber noting there were quite a few bigger camper vans parked up in the big layby here….

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=424440&y=382967&z=115&sv=424440,382967&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=563&ax=424440&ay=382967&lm=0

BadlyWiredDog

Any locals know the crack?

No, because local people tend not to van camp in their own backyard 🙂 However,  found this on google:

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/derbyshire/

The parking spot on the back road up to Barber Booth – Jacob’s Ladder approach from the Edale side – looks promising. There are also plenty of parking spots along the road alongside reservoirs at Ladybower, but I have no idea if they’re checked at all

windysurfer
    Free Member

You can stop over on the Ladybower Inn car park if you pop in for a pint or two.

nickdavies

Welshfarmer thats what im thinking. Ive done pub car park before but im thinking 10/11pm arrive and out on bike by 7 so not so useful this time. Will give it a crack. Worst case is i get moved to a road layby, nothing they can do there.

and,

No, because local people tend not to van camp in their own backyard 🙂 However,  found this on google:

Is a very good point!

squirrelking
    Free Member

^ Not really, I found Trailrat a suitable overnighter for his post bus just up the glen outside town. Local knowledge is definitely a plus.

Mugboo

The broken road near Castleton always gets recommended.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sleeping in a van isn’t really wild camping is it …

fathomer

Mugboo

The broken road near Castleton always gets recommended.

This was going to be my suggestion, there must have been 10 camper vams up there yesterday morning at about 9.45am.

tuboflard

I’ve seen the occasional camper van parked up here too. Nice spot for a sunset.

https://goo.gl/maps/UzeLUT9cGCJ2

sharkattack

Knowing what I know now, having lived in Sheffield for 2 years, I wouldn’t van camp actually out in the Peak in a lay by or car park.

Lots of people do it but there’s so much vehicle crime out there and vans especially are a target. I much prefer to sleep somewhere vaguely residential and try to park near other vehicles. I’d head for a village myself.

Waking up in the middle of nowhere is amazing but imagine a car full of rude boys decided to make you their nights entertainment.

mattbee

In motorhome circles those who ‘pitch up’ in car parks, laybys etc are known as FLTs (Free Loading T…..).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In motorhome circles those who ‘pitch up’ in car parks, laybys etc are known as FLTs (Free Loading T…..).

But how else are you going to justify your £40k T5 if you have to pay £20 for a capsite, may as well stay in a YHA with a proper bed.

And a photo of you between a hawthorn hedge and some pampas on a capsite with #vanlife on instagram just doesn’t cut it.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

pay for a campsite, or have dinner in a pub and check with them if they are happy for you to park up overnight, anything else is not #vanlife it is #pikeylife

Jordan

Have a look on this site https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

I’m a regular FLT and use that site all the time to find places to wittle clothes pegs.

nickdavies

Its not a motor home, its a t5. And not a 40k one at that. I could be less pikey and head to a campsite or a pub, but theyd probably not take too kindly to a gone 11pm pitchup and 7am depart, plus the thread isnt about motorhome etiquette or pub carparks is it…. 😉

stuc
    Free Member

Top of the broken road castleton was fine on the couple of occasions I did it in October. Generally always see a few vans there. Also there tends to be a few people at the bottom of the broken road also most times I ride past there.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why would you pay all that money for something with the endurance capability and not use it? Besides being an idiot…

sharkattack

…the thread isnt about motorhome etiquette

Yeah F that noise.

I’ve slept all over the place in my T5, for work and pleasure, in the UK and Europe. It didn’t cost anywhere near 40 grand though, so maybe I’m a pikey?

mattbee

Was just an observation not an opinion!

I used to find it easiest to stay over in pub car parks when we had our T5, an excuse for a few beers & some grub too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Van wild camping peak’ is closed to new replies.