Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Van producing jelly baby splurge – VIDEO – name the leaking part
  • walla24
    Free Member

Slow coolant leak over the last few months, take a look at the video, what part is this?
    [video]https://youtu.be/limYBILkj58[/video]
    1.8l petrol/lpg ford transit connect 2005

Its bolted to the front of the engine block underneath the exhaust manifold, rectangular metal box 20cm wide, 10cm high with a metal line/rubber hose running up and into the back of the inlet manifold general area?
    Making a lovely pink gunk buildup in there, hoping it’s some sort of gasket gone?!?

breninbeener

Jizz valve!

Greybeard
    Free Member

Can’t tell from the video but the description sounds a bit like the oil cooler on my Focus 1.8 TDCI – that leaked coolant, and I think the Transit engine is physically similar to the Focus. Any sign of oil in the coolant?

walla24
    Free Member

no oil in coolant, no smoking, no loss or dirtying of engine oil

walla24
    Free Member

hmmm from google images it doesn’t look like an oil cooler, cheers though

letmetalktomark

Its a falangie Shirley?

walla24
    Free Member

don’t call me shirley

codybrennan
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

was my first thought too codybrennan except your link shows it to be on the rear of the engine.

i was wondering if it was something to do with lpg temp and switch over or the lpg pressure regulator

walla24
    Free Member

yeah i initially thought lpg condensor which needs engine heat immediately when engine starts but can’t find any diagrams to back this up

walla24
    Free Member

air conditioning evaporator??

trail_rat
    Free Member

an AC evaporator wouldnt be connected to the coolant surely.

walla24
    Free Member

no i think that’s a red herring, still no idea

surely from it’s positioning it must be something to do with heat from the engine whether it be heating or cooling something

hoping to get it up on a ramp tomorrow and point a mechanic at it

unovolo
    Free Member

If its the part labelled 1 in the pic below then its the oil seperator.

walla24
    Free Member

unovolo- yes thats very similar, i pulled off one of the pipes and found the PCV valve!

As the connection into the engine block is in the middle of the box i’d say its not that leaking, it’s more towards the cambelt side of the block.

Hoping anyway as coolant in the PCV is a head gasket issue!

tillydog
    Free Member

Hoping anyway as coolant in the PCV is a head gasket issue!

You’ll probably get ‘mayonnaise’ in there from condensation unless you’ve had the engine up to temperature for a while. There may well be some sort of mesh or sponge inside the separator which can clog up with gloop, too.

walla24
    Free Member

from what I could see in the exposed tube it was some nice golden oil spray, no obvious signs of mayonaising or coolant

going to remove my exhaust manifold tomorrow so I can get my head up in there and have a proper look

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Van producing jelly baby splurge – VIDEO – name the leaking part’ is closed to new replies.