Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Van options with 5+ real seats
  • bikerevivesheffield

On holiday we were driven around in a transporter with 7 seats which was an amazing but spendy vehicle!! I m looking at similar sorts of vans but cheaper that have 5 PROPER seats or more. Saw a Ford Torneo yesterday which looked cool – what else is out there – LWB a bonus! Need to ferry around 3 kids/2 adults/bikes/kit

mashr

Why the “proper” seats out of interest? Interesting that you’re ruling out all the 2 + 1 options from the get go

bikerevivesheffield

2 baby seats plus a booster seat so 5 proper seats

phil5556

Any Combi should do.

Vivaro, T5/6, Transit Custom etc

Although combis are usually limited to van speed limits.

VW Shuttles aren’t, and I’m sure some of the others are probably classed as “cars” too but I’ve never checked.

phil5556

For example

https://www.vanmonster.com/en-gb/find-a-van/vehicle/122385

They also do a 9 seater which won’t have a bulkhead and might be a better option. Available long or short.

sajama55
    Free Member

Have a look at the vito dualiner, have a new premium 116 auto. Has fixings for chd seats in back Had a 115 manual vito for 12 years hope that the new one is as good.

v8ninety

This is one thing my pick up is great at. Two adults, five kids, comfortable, five bikes on the tailgate, with the canopy door open. It’s slightly less secure than a lwb van, but I found that it was a lot cheaper (and more comfortable/higher spec inside for the equivalent price point) than my options crew cab van wise. I’d love a decent van, but the truck gives more bang for the buck, for sure.

chakaping
    Free Member

Should be fine in a crew cab like a Vivaro/Trafic or Transit.

I like having the bulkhead in my Vivaro, especially when transporting the kiddiewinks.

mashr

phil5556

Any Combi should do.

Vivaro, T5/6, Transit Custom etc

iirc the single seat in a VW Kombi isn’t rated for kiddie seats, the bench is certainly fine though (and ISOFIX)

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like having the bulkhead in my Vivaro, especially when transporting the kiddiewinks.

Took me a moment to realise what you meant. I was imagining the bulkhead behind the driver’s seat.

hot_fiat

T5/6, Caddy 4life, Peugeot Traveller/Citroen Spacetourer/Toyota Hiace. Careful assuming that a T5/6 will take three child seats: two high back boosters on our ‘velle’s back row make the middle seat practically unusable (though I still make the MIL sit there when I’m feeling grumpy).

iirc the single seat in a VW Kombi isn’t rated for kiddie seats, the bench is certainly fine though (and ISOFIX)

Depends on which seat option you get. If you go shuttle style seats, the 2 seat bench usually comes with 1 isofix next to the window. The other side is often non-isofix. I believe the single pivoting seat that sits next to the bench by default comes with no isofix points & you have to ask for them to be fitted. If you go for the 3 seat bench, it should have 2 isofix points at each end.

Middle front passenger seat is only fit for someone you hate.

chakaping
    Free Member

Took me a moment to realise what you meant. I was imagining the bulkhead behind the driver’s seat.

Haha.

Makes the cabin sooo much quieter.

40mpg

5 of us took the fatbikes tothe Alps last month in a mates Transit Custom. 5 spacious leather seats (6th in the front middle but only for short hops). Bikes and kit behind the bulkhead. All mod cons, very comfy even for two 12-hr drives on a long weekend.

nullhttps://i.postimg.cc/CKwBjVd7/20200123-124152.jpg

40mpg

Edit – the transit custom lwb had loads more room than the equivalent VW we took last year

The security on transits is that bad, you may as well leave the doors unlocked

revs1972
    Free Member

Make sure whatever you get has rear passenger doors on both sides .

This is one thing my pick up is great at. Two adults, five kids, comfortable, five bikes on the tailgate, with the canopy door ope

What pickup have you got that carries 2 adults and 5 kids ??

The security on transits is that bad, you may as well leave the doors unlocked

Never had any attempts in the 2 years I had my DCIV. If they are not signwritten and have a tailgate, and kids seats in them then they tend not to bother.
    Security on ALL vans is terrible if some scrote wants to open her up with a tin opener

doug_basqueMTB.com

I have a 9 seater transit. On the back seats they are all 2+1 and can be removed espératelo. However only the 2’s have isofix attachments. So you can have 2 isofix baby seats per row.
    Other seating arrangements may vary.

It has much much more space than the VW transporters we use (t4, t5 and t6’s) for uplifts sometimes. They are fast and good to drive. Here the speed limit is lower for them than cars. I’ve had no breaking in issues yet!

eskay

I would avoid vans with three front seats, in my experience (6ft) being a passenger is bloody uncomfortable, you are never quite sat in the right position.

CountZero

There’s also the likes of the Hyundai i800, which we get a few of, both Motability and Enterprise. They seem very spacious and comfortable, the dash is simpler than some of the others.

v8ninety

Lol, brainfart. Three kids, three. Jeez, five? Could you imagine?!? 😳🤪🤯

mashr

Depends on which seat option you get. If you go shuttle style seats, the 2 seat bench usually comes with 1 isofix next to the window.

Must be options galore then. Our T5 Kombi had 2 ISOFIX points on the bench and nothing on the single (which make sense as it folded forwards)

Chuck a couple in the tub. If you lose them then meh, you’ve got too many

VanHalen

our vivaro LWB crewcab is mint. 6 proper seats. i`ve removed the buklhead for camping duties but it was a perfect bike van before that.

outofbreath
    Free Member

My Vivaro Crewcab does that. The rear seat is a bench seat but it’s plenty big enough and positively luxurius for young kids just out of car seats.

I’d suggest going for single passenger seat in the front rather than bench passenger seat because it gives a nicer passenger seat and a useful passage to get to the back seats which is great with young kids.

Now I’ve had a crewcab van I’m really not sure why I bothered with large estates. (Apart from cost.)

revs1972
    Free Member

Chuck a couple in the tub.

I did that when i picked the missus up in my new Hillybilly wagon as she calls it (wildtrak).
    Kids popped up from the back shouting yehaw (one looked realistic too with his missing front teeth ) 😁

a11y

3 x chunky high-backed boosters across the rear seat in a Transit Custom DCiV no probs.

Or, 2 x chunky high-backed boosters still leaves enough space in the middle for a big adult to sit between them – I’m 6’1 and broad-shouldered and not a problem.

Edit – only ISOFIX on the 2 outer positions on the 3-seat rear bench though.

scuttler

two high back boosters on our ‘velle’s back row make the middle seat practically unusable

Assuming this is the standard three seater slidy folding seat** that is also in the Cali Beach it must be one of the widest seats on the market and cos it’s mostly flat (unlike many other cars) all seats are equal in terms of comfort and width. We’ve had various combinations of baby and booster seat in ours over the years inc. 2 x high back, 1 x baby isofix leg shin-batterer and it’s been a doddle compared to any other vehicle. Bonus points for actually being able to stand up to get babies in and out of seats.

** Like dis null

transition1
    Free Member

I have a Transit Custom has 6 seats, rear 3 can fold forwards & remove. Twin sliding doors a useful bonus for loading & unloading. New van drives like a car compared to old Vivaro van all mod cons, heated leather seats a real bonus too.

maccruiskeen

There’s also the likes of the Hyundai i800,

I’m always surprised the i800 doesn’t get a mention on these threads more often. I’ve only ridden in the back of one but it seemed a lot like all the other 7 seaters van I’ve ridden in the back of.

maccruiskeen

Lol, brainfart. Three kids, three. Jeez, five? Could you imagine?!?

Three that you know of.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

We’re currently running 2 current model LWB Tourneo Customs for our business, having had one of the last SWB versions for 4 years previously. Great wagons, you can flick the back seats forward and get bikes in, run the back two rows facing each other as a mobile lounge, and haul out various combos of seats to make it a ghetto camper when required. Thoroughly recommend them.

neilnevill
    Free Member

aren’t all vans and pickups a bit spendy? I rather like the utilitarian nature of them and can see the appeal but when I idly go to the dealer website, configure one adding not many options but a few to make it more comfy and less builders van-y, It seems to total almost £50k That seems a lot to me and twice a decent car.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m always surprised the i800 doesn’t get a mention on these threads more often. I’ve only ridden in the back of one but it seemed a lot like all the other 7 seaters van I’ve ridden in the back of.

Had one as an insurance courtesy car (nothing else available!), was rather impressed even if it was a thirsty bugger. Massive amounts of room compared to a Caravelle as I recall.

a11y

aren’t all vans and pickups a bit spendy? I rather like the utilitarian nature of them and can see the appeal but when I idly go to the dealer website, configure one adding not many options but a few to make it more comfy and less builders van-y, It seems to total almost £50k That seems a lot to me and twice a decent car.

Depends where you’re looking/speccing up – don’t go on the prices quoted on manufacturer’s website as huge discounts exist.

Out of curiosity I just specced up a Transit Custom as close to my own van as I could and it’s £38.5k (http://www.ford.co.uk/s/QqH7). Bought ours 2.5 years ago when retail from Ford was £35.3k, and without much asking local dealers offered it for exactly 25% off. Factory order. I then ordered the same van via a broker for exactly 33% off (£23.5k): https://www.new-car-discount.com/vans I’d rather have that over an equivalent priced new car,

Tracey

As above, if you shop around there are always deals to be had. We bought our Tourneo Custom on impulse after driving past it on Black Friday in 2018, wasn’t even looking to change. It was preregistered with 24 miles on the clock. 25% discount from the dealer and Ford paid the VAT so it was a no brainer, £24.5k for the top of the range and fully loaded. Still think the extra tax for the next few years that is added due to list price still makes it a good buy

a11y

Just (partly!) deflated my balloon Tracey – that’s a brilliant price for a Tourneo.

Tracey

Sorry didn’t intend to. Being in the right place at the right time for us so more luck than anything. Shouldn’t have even been on that road as it was a diversion for a road closed. Recon it was meant for us as we weren’t even looking. Even the colour (black) has eventually grown on me.

sadtomato
    Free Member

Does anyone run a LWB double cab van through a business so that they can claim van BIK rather than car BIK? Just interested if anyone had managed to clear these rules up yet?

benp1

I’m looking for the same car but with a petrol engine. Makes life MUCH harder. Don’t want diesel, too many short trips that would clog up the DPF. Don’t use the car that much (maybe 2-3 times a week) but need something big and trying to avoid a 4×4 or people carrier.

Petrol T6 Kombi looking best at the moment but any other bright ideas?

b33k34

Do you really need something as big as a T6? Caddy Maxi Life still has a lot of cargo space with a second set of seats in place (and third row out). Our 1.4tsi auto is nice to drive too (though very few about).

Caddy has isofix on the two outside seats in the second row.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Van options with 5+ real seats’ is closed to new replies.