• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Van on ferry or Tunnel
  • catvet
    Free Member

Any advice please, taking VW T5 SWB van ( no extra windows) on ferry or tunnel, whats best way of not paying the earth to get across the channel, ie booking it in as camper? !!
    best time to book ect
    thanks in advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Booked vans and cars on the tunnel, much smoother and quicker. Simpler and no real drawbacks. Mid high lwb transit was about the same as a car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And price guide available by entering your details on the euro tunnel website, really taxing stuff

tthew

When we went at Easter, by van was £160 return on the train, for a stay of less than 5 days. Mates car was about 40 quid less. Last year they were the same price, but neither is ruinously expensive.

A-Ferry website is good for comparing boat prices.

SimonR

We’ve found that there’s not much in it pricewise between ferry and tunnel when taking the van to Europe. Difference is negligible once you start thinking about fuel, tolls, accomodation, etc.

Used the tunnel in the last couple of years simply because it’s more convenient and quicker.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I took my T5 on the tunnel for the first time last year. I will never take the ferry again. Super easy, much quicker, it spits you out straight onto a decent road at the other end and all the staff that I spoke to were super friendly and helpful.

legend
    Free Member

Definitely just book it on as a van. Done it with a Caddy and a panel Vito with problems at all. If you go through the van book in for the tunnel, it wants to put you on one of the freight trains instead

welshfarmer

Took my mates T5 LWB on the ferry last summer. Booked it on as a high car/people carrier. Worked out about half the price of a van or camper. Plus I was able to use a discount code which made it even cheaper as these usually are only valid for cars.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used the ferry for trips to western France. For eastern France it’s always the tunnel. Far less bother

willstaffs
    Free Member

Tried to book my Renault Kangoo in as a car on the tunnel and after entering my reg they knew it was a van and the price increased, ferry worked out much cheaper.

julzm
    Free Member

Tunnel. Book it as a people carrier. Do this with our T5 all the time no issues.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely when you enter your reg it’ll recognise it as whatever vehicle designation its taxed against and price it accordingly?

trout
    Free Member

Also have a look at one of these Auto toll

Saves a lot of faff and a bit of time

legend
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Surely when you enter your reg it’ll recognise it as whatever vehicle designation its taxed against and price it accordingly?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Not with the last two vehicles I’ve done it with. IN fact I’ve always had to tell them what I’m driving even when it’s been an actual car. Don’t think all the sites have a DVLA link like insurance conpanies

legend
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Not with the last two vehicles I’ve done it with. IN fact I’ve always had to tell them what I’m driving even when it’s been an actual car. Don’t think all the sites have a DVLA link like insurance conpanies

nuke

We gave up with the tunnel…cost us more but had too many instances of delays so the benefits of paying extra to save a bit of time were lost. Now we enjoy the ferry: nice chance to grab some food, stretch the legs and have a break before starting the next part of our journey

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Van on ferry or Tunnel’ is closed to new replies.