Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Van-ists: Anyone got one of these mdf sliding beds?
  • MrSparkle

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sliding-Camper-Van-Bed-Storage-1500mm-BED-015/323787691883?hash=item4b6340176b:g:JPwAAOSwfl1cwFI6

Contemplating one for Trafic stealth camper. Would have a 1.7m futon on top. Might get 1.5m bed and overhang a bit so more floor space in SWB van. Anyone got/used one?

ads678

Someone on here made one practically the same as that.

scc999

I’ve got one in the van (mines plywood though).

What do you want to know?

maccruiskeen

mines plywood though

indeed – not sure why you’d use MDF for that

duncancallum

Dont touch MDF in a van. Heavy and shit in the damp

kayak23

The mattress would spread the load but that would still be awfully bendy in 15mm mdf I’d have thought.

alpin
    Free Member

Yeah, forget mdf.

Multiplex/birch ply, yup.

dovebiker

MDF in a van? Bad idea – it’s effectively cardboard and will absorb moisture and loose strength over time.

leffeboy

to be fair it does say moisture resistant mdf, but I’d worry about the legs dragging as it never seems the most robust material

Ewan
    Free Member

I built a bed in that style – if I was doing my van again, i’d make the same choice. Very handy being able to lift one section at a time (if for no other reason than you can pile the cushions on the one that isn’t being lifted). I used wood rather than MDF tho, i’ve also seen people doing it in ply. The MR MDF will be fine in a van from a condensation point of view, but it’d probably still build it from wood.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Might be worth taking a look at The Ply Guys. Bit more expensive but fully customisable. I think that’s where my money will be going.

ross980
    Free Member

I got the same one last year, but in ply (cost wasn’t much more and it’s also lighter). Mine is still in its box(es) though as my van conversion isn’t progressing as quickly as I hoped 🤦🏻‍♂️

epicyclo

That bed is quite a clever idea.

eskay

I was looking at those the other day! @ross980 – where did you buy yours from?

ross980
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Van-ists: Anyone got one of these mdf sliding beds?’ is closed to new replies.