• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Van Insurance – minor rant
  • Shakey
    Free Member

Had my van for a year and need to renew insurance. Got my renewal letter from Gladiator and its gone up by £140. Got straight on phone and went through quote and they reduced it by £10. Big deal says I whilst complaining that they are penalizing existing customers blah, blah, blah. Anyway, told them to stuff the renewal as I would shop around.

Same day get an email from Tesco compare with their deal of the day! Well guess who is the cheapest quote beating their renewal by £210 and my existing premium by £65.

How do they get away with it?

falkirk-mark

Poor rant 1/10, rant is particularly coherent with good spelling and grammar plus you are getting marked down for correct use of capitals.

z1ppy

Does van insurance still have a limited NCB cap?
    I always thought this crap and would be extremely reluctant to loose my 8’s NCB, especially as my m8 has a lovely freelander ‘van’ I fancy…

BTW what your saying is normal! You need to mess about searching for new quotes every year, your obviously new to insurance generally?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    meehaja
    Free Member

try post office… they were cheapest for me by a long way.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I don’t know if this is fact or just my cynicism, but I suspect insurance companies deliberately give new customers a ‘good’ deal which is then increased on renewal in the knowledge that there will be a lot of people who can’t be bothered shopping around or challenging it.

stgeorge

Happened to me with the car insurance.

Went with new insurer last year via moneysupermarket £334 pa.

Sent renewal notice last month cheapest quote we can offer you is £655.09!

I don’t think so… back to moneysupermarket fill in details exactly the same get quote of £292.33 pa…. WITH THE SAME INSURER FFS

I think the thing is never, ever accept renewal quote.

aracer
    Free Member

Can I just point out, that whilst my insurance might be for a car not a van, my renewal was cheaper than any quote I could get – including a new quote from the same company!

cupra
    Free Member

I had the same experience as aracer but for a van and for the last 2 years running – privilege insurance.

Shakey
    Free Member

BTW what your saying is normal! You need to mess about searching for new quotes every year, your obviously new to insurance generally?

Not new to insurance as I have been driving for 23 years but just a tad surprised that some Insurance companies care so little about existing customers they are prepared to lose them!

clubber
    Free Member

The thing is you’re not really the kind of person they want because you will compare so you’re no great loss.

What they really want it to get people onboard (by offering a low rate to new customers) and then gradually ramp it up, knowing that a lot of people will just accept it.

And actually it’s only because lots of people don’t switch that they’re willing to offer the cheap deals to new customers so in effect you’re benefiting from those people…

IHN

I’m convinced that insurance quotes are created by a random number generator.

Way back when, I had a 1.3 Mk2 Golf. My girlfriend had a near identical 1.3 Mk2 Golf. We were both insured with the same company, although she had one of their ‘ooh, you’re a lady so never crash’ cheap insurance policies.

I rang to add her as a named driver on my insurance and was quoted a premium increase greater than her total premium. Apparently, when being added to my policy, she was no longer a non-crashing lady, she was a high risk under 25 year old.

Years later, after we’d married and separated (…), I rang to take her off my insurance (now with a different company, I change each year). They said my premium would increase, so I said fine, I’ll keep her on it. She still was, two years later…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Van Insurance – minor rant’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts